User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2003, 11:59 PM   #1
Pep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 2,604
Bluhduh There's no crying in GOLF!...

Vijay Singh was right... Annika Sorenstam had no business playing with the boys... Crying at a post-round interview?... Gimme a break ...

"Duck... And cover!... Duck... And cover!..."

<><
Pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 12:02 AM   #2
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Hey, she had her shot at "the bigs" - now she's been sent back to the Lesbo League. Probably got tired of all the golfin' dykes takin runs at her every time she goes for the ball - can't blame the babe for preferring to be around men...

M
Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
Pep OP
Banned

Eh?

Quote:
Said Marc:
Hey, she had her shot at "the bigs" - now she's been sent back to the Lesbo League. Probably got tired of all the golfin' dykes takin runs at her every time she goes for the ball - can't blame the babe for preferring to be around men...

M
LPGA= Lesbo Professional Golfer's Association?!?!?! ...

Learn something new every day here! ...

<><
Old 05-24-2003, 02:46 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 04:17 AM   #5
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Talking

shit ..anothergolf thread..with a sumes golf up,........realy

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,208
This is about the time Chopperman jumps in and says "golf isn't a sport"
Just saving you some time Chop.

Annika was just overcome by emotions. I think she did extremely well. It will be good for the game.

Personally, I love it. Shooting better than ever. After I recovered from my broken collarbone/smashed ribs, I was forced to slow down and not overpower the swing, and it is working sweet now.:smiler
Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 11:43 AM   #7
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,885
Re: There's no crying in GOLF!...

Quote:
Said Peppie:
Vijay Singh was right... Annika Sorenstam had no business playing with the boys... Crying at a post-round interview?... Gimme a break ...

"Duck... And cover!... Duck... And cover!..."

<><
There are differences between boys and girls.

Thank God.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
Roadwarrior
Taking The Long Way

Oddometer: 1,002
You are absolutly right. Golf is a sport for impotent middle aged men with money! Right Pep?

Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Slaniac
Martini elbow

Oddometer: 11,048
Cool2

Quote:
Said Gordy:
This is about the time Chopperman jumps in and says "golf isn't a sport"
Just saving you some time Chop.

Annika was just overcome by emotions. I think she did extremely well. It will be good for the game.

Personally, I love it. Shooting better than ever. After I recovered from my broken collarbone/smashed ribs, I was forced to slow down and not overpower the swing, and it is working sweet now.:smiler
Gordy
Gordy,
Not arguing with ya, but how is she going to be good for the game? Not just a cute ass I hope.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"
F. Scott Fitzgearld

Regnat Populus.
Slaniac
Slaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Said Slaniac:
Gordy,
Not arguing with ya, but how is she going to be good for the game? Not just a cute ass I hope.
She helps popularise the game. That can lead to more players, which can equal more courses, better equipment, more future stars. If you like a sport, you like to broaden its acceptance. Her appearance certainly generated a lot of interest, and may help enlarge its fan base. It's also possible that it may have an impact on the popularity of the women's game, which could use some help.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-25-2003, 11:02 PM   #11
Pep OP
Banned

Laugh

Quote:
Said Roadwarrior:Golf is a sport for impotent middle aged men with money! Right Pep?

Yes!... Which is why I've NEVER played the game. ...

<><
Old 05-25-2003, 11:27 PM   #12
Oscar
Assburger

Oddometer: 16,290
I think Fred got it right (again)...

From Fred on Everthing:

ll sorts of people are running around shrieking and pulling out their hair because a lady golfer played in some golf contest for men. I'm trying to figure it out. Mostly I'm coming up dry. Maybe I'm just a country boy, and slow, and can't understand things that don't make any sense at all. It takes a professor to do that.

Anyway, the papers were hooting and hollering about how she was going to do real well and it was a new world and she was going to end the hedge of money that men had in sports. Of course she didn't. It was because men are bigger and stronger and like to smack things-golf balls, each other, bartenders, they don't care. A possum knows as much. So I guess people stuck their hair back on and tried to think about something else.

What I don't understand is how come people in this country, except about five with good sense, can believe things they know aren't true. Probably even doorknobs know that some kinds of folk are just better at some things. People know it too. We just don't believe what we know.

It's a talent Americans have. Most of our social policy is based on things we know aren't true. We think if we say a raccoon can sing like Elvis, if we believe it real hard and tell everybody it's true and put anybody who knows better in jail for a hate crime-why, then that raccoon will launch into Blue Moon Over Kentucky and maybe Heartbreak Hotel.

And when things don't happen that can't, we wonder why they didn't, even though we know.

I saw on the box once that this German rifle club, that was all men, let a woman join. Next thing you knew, she won the club's championship. The men were all surprised and upset and wouldn't give her the prize. Those pole-axed-looking blondes on TV got riled up and said as how it was just men not being able to admit that a woman beat them and it wasn't fair.

I reckon it wasn't. She did beat them. If they let her in, and she won the match, then I guess it was her prize. It's not a really difficult idea.

What I don't see is why the club should let women compete against men in the first place. Sure, it sounds like high principle and real fair and American, like Superman. But I notice that all this fairness is one-sided. If men wanted to shoot in ladies' clubs, or play in the women's golf tournaments, every feminist and all her litter-mates would go crazy. Na-a-wwww, that wouldn't be fair.

It seems like women want to compete with the men when they think they can win, but want protection from male competition when they can't, which in sports is usually. Now that's fair. About like a trapdoor.

Now, I'm not at all sure that if women wanted to shoot, which they mostly don't, they couldn't do as well as men, or better. I shoot sometimes at ranges. A lot of women come in with their boyfriends to try it. Most do pretty well, and a fair few are wickedly good right out of the box. (My eldest daughter, for example. I'm glad she wasn't armed during adolescence.)

Suppose women decided that shooting was more fun than when Aunt Sally sat on the ants' nest, and got real good, and always beat the men. What then? I figure we'd still need to have a men's team and a woman's team so the men would have a chance. But I wouldn't think I had a right to shoot for their prize money when they couldn't shoot for mine.

Now, it used to be that women didn't think they had to compete with men. When I was in high school, everybody knew the boys could beat the girls at basketball. It was just how the world was. Nobody ever thought about it. I didn't figure I was somehow better than Gloria because I could out-rebound her. Boys and girls were different things, like birds and algebra. Nobody was mad about it.

When boys and girls did compete, like when Susie and Art were seeing who was going to be valedictorian, Susie was trying to beat Art, not the male race. When girls made better grades, which they generally did, the boys didn't feel oppressed and talk about how their self-esteem was a quart low and the teachers were against them. Girls just did better homework. It was how things were.

Now it's different. Women are always challenging men at things. When a lady golfer wants to play against the men, that's exactly what she's doing: Saying, "Gals can smack that little ball as well as guys, and I'm going to prove it." It's not individual. It's challenging men as a subspecies. Or at least that's how the media package it.

Of course if women challenge a man, or all men, the men do start thinking in terms of whose better, when left to themselves they wouldn't have. That's what competition is for: to see who's better. And if the woman loses, which she's mostly going to in sports, then women are going to feel humiliated and quietly mad. Why do it?

Of course the competition is implicitly rigged. The rules are different. If the men win, they get no credit and don't crow about it. If a woman wins, the feminists will gloat and generally be as disagreeable as they know how, which is very. The curious thing is that men don't want to compete against women in the first place. For men, that used to be one of (many) pleasant things about women: They were people you didn't have to compete with.

It looks to me as if those feminist gals have gotten women to measuring themselves by how close they come to being men. It's funny how much feminism resembles a rejection of everything feminine, almost like vicarious male-chauvinism. A woman who works sixty-hour weeks in some depressing law firm is a hero (feminists don't like the feminine "heroine") but a woman who raises her children is an embarrassment. Which is more important? Continuing the species? Or having another lawyer?

I don't get it. Like I say, I'm slow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

©Fred Reed 2003

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 08:14 AM   #13
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,208
Said Slaniac:
Gordy,

wwaxie said it well. Any visibility is good, as long as it is not detrimental. There were a lot of people talking about golf this weekend that would have never mentioned it. I think that she would have done better without the intense media presence, and the nerves and jitters that went with it.

However, she did step on her Tampon string on a few putts!:oogle
Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:18 PM   #14
wxwax
Excited Member

Re: I think Fred got it right (again)...

Quote:
Said Oscar:
From Fred on Everthing:
Oscar, nice rant by Fred, but he has Annika all wrong. It sounds nice to generalize about why people do things, but when you get down to specifics, life is very different.

In Annika's case, she's clearly the dominant female golfer of her generation. One can see that she doesn't feel challenged by her opponents.

Being a competitive person, she went looking for the next highest level of opposition. Fortunately for her, such a level existed - the PGA TOUR. So she played against the men, for the challenge of seeing how her game rated.

It sounds like she may have satisfied herself that the chasm is too vast. Then again. I'm not so sure that she might not come back some day, determined to make the cut. After all, she's gifted and competitive, and now she has another potential challnge ahead of her.

Unfortunately, the political pressure may dissuade her from trying.

I say she was fortunate that a higher level of competition existed. What if she were a man, and in the same dilemma? Where would he seek his next level of competition?

The answer is, he wouldn't, and he might retire. How many times have we seen male athletes retire, saying they'd done it all, that there wasn't anything left to prove?

BTW, Tiger's not in that position - he's chasing Jack Nicklaus' records, and Jack himself had many a fine tussle with Palmer, Trevino, Watson and Player - dominant, but not so dominant that he didn't feel challenged.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-26-2003, 01:50 PM   #15
ROGUE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,471
I know very little about golf... never interested me really, I've seen Tiger Woods cry on TV though and I've seen normal male fits of throwing clubs too... only time the TV screen captured my attention when it's been on.

Anyway, my point is... Big whoopdee doo, who gives a shit what they do when their not hitting the ball. It's what happens when they do hit it that makes them good at golf whether they are male or female. If Golf was a "man's sport" they would've never created the LPGA. Men who are pissy about Annika's attempt at playing in the big leagues are usually the ones she could beat with one hand behind her back. While I'm on the subject... what is so damn challenging about strolling through a golf course and hitting a little ball into a hole that is not able to be accomplished by a woman? This ain't B-Ball against Shaq or Jordan fer crissakes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: