Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Strawdog OP
Strawdog

Oddometer: 116
Dempster Highway

Hi

Leaving for the Dempster in a week or so was planning to pack spare tires. I got street tires on F800GS now was planning put K60 on in White Horse or Dawson City keep street for spares ? Or am I going overboard and thinking to much.

Leaving Winnipeg area in a 5-6 days
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 622
If the weather is good street tires on the Dempster won't be the end of the world but I've never heard of any one can who predict the weather much further out than looking out the window. I'd strongly suggest some dirt road worthy tires on that road. You'll really only "need" them for a few days but the Dempster will probably be the highlight of the year for you ride wise so do'er right . Packing tires all the way or buying them out there depends on how much room you have to pack them.
If you are meaning if bringing a spare set on that road is must do imho it is most likely not worth it. It is a long remote stretch but is a government maintained highway.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
roglsa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I was on the Dempster last weekend. It was dry and like concrete in most places up to the circle, I could have left my street tires on. But with some rain it would have turned it really slick and into a very slow ride. I was glad still to have the 50/50 tires on. With them it was 120kph all the way to circle. Beyond that street tires would be an interesting ride.
roglsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Rode my KLR from Ottawa to mile 0 of the dempster with 80/20 tires and put new 50/50 tires on to do the dempster.

I am glad I had those 50/50 tires because they closed the ferry to Inuvik and I decided to head back the same day from the arctic circle.

Within that 20 hour period got some rain and the road gets very soft and greasy when wet. Trucks were sinking in about 2 inches and shooting out mud 10 to 20 feet to the side.

The road north of the Eagle Plains gets narrow, with a significant crown (You get 50 to 100 foot drops on each side), and the sides of the road are really soft. I will try to post a picture of a truck that got stuck in the soft shoulder.

Lots of BMW bikes with 80/20 tires did the road when I was there and I think it is very doable but I was glad to have my 50/50 tires. It helps a lot if you reduce air pressure in your tires regardless of type.

On my way back home switched back to my 80/20 a little past Whitehorse because the rear 50/50 was wearing fast (and a slow leak flat on the rear tire). Got a major piece of metal in my front tire in Williams Lake so put my 50/50 back onto the front and this got me home.

All in all a real pain to carry those extra tires but really glad I had them with me.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Wildlife on Dempster

I should have mentioned you will have to deal with wildlife especially evening and early morning - moose are probably your greatest concern - so the better dirt tires may save your buns in that situation.

I would post some pictures but can't figure out how.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Strawdog OP
Strawdog

Oddometer: 116
Thanks

Will pack spares since I have already. What is getting gas like I do have 30 oz MSR bottle ?
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,026
You can get gas at Eagle Plains, a +/- 370 km ride from the gas station at the southern end of the Dempster.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
I would post some pictures but can't figure out how.
They have to be posted/hosted at a photo site (eg SMUGMUG) and then linked into posts here.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
vee5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I'm at Eagle Plains right now, rode up from Dawson on a GSA1200 with TKCs and it would have been a tough ride on street tyres. The road from here to Inuvik is supposed to be tougher than the section up from Dawson so unless you are sure of dry weather all the way up and back you'd be better off on the K60s than street tyres.
Theres a couple of guys just arrived from Inuvik on dual sport tyres and they had a nightmare, had to take the mudguards off their VStroms as compacted mud caused front wheel lock up in the soft mud. Will see how I get on tomorrow morning, mainly depends on the weather from what I can tell.
vee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
please update on Denson for 7/4 ... wife and I going to try it but if there is a lot of mud it will have to stay on the bucket list. Also how far do you have to go between fuel ups? Is the longest from Dawson to Eagle?

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Check out www.onewheeldrive.net. They have a great article on riding the dempster. It will answer most of your questions. I have it bookmarked for when I plan my ride up there.

Enjoy the trip and ride safe.
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post
Check out www.onewheeldrive.net. They have a great article on riding the dempster. It will answer most of your questions. I have it bookmarked for when I plan my ride up there.

Enjoy the trip and ride safe.
yep.. thanks have read this article... hoping for current conditions

Old 07-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
Also how far do you have to go between fuel ups? Is the longest from Dawson to Eagle?
Yes. On the other side of Eagle Plains you can fill up in Fort McPherson before you get to Inuvik.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

waiting on the weather

kinda like the climbers on Mt Everest... we are waiting on the weather... and improved road... if it dries a little then we will go (don't want to get the wife hurt)... if not... it will stay on the bucket list

Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Phoenix101,
It's well worth the wait for things to dry out a little if you've the leeway time wise. Makes a huge difference on the way north from Eagle Plains, wish we'd been that sensible. You're probably drying out starting tomorrow per Environment Canada: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
Have a great ride!
Cheers,
Neil