User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 04:41 AM   #1
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Oddometer: 194
First bike trip North of the border

I live in southern Ohio and plan to motorbike tour British Columbia this summer. I only have two weeks available and 5 or six of those days will be burnt up riding to and from the border in Montana. That leaves me roughly eight days to ride North of the border. Still doing research on the area. Hoping to tent camp at least part of the time.
My big question at the moment is...what would be the best time to this tour ? I was thinking around the first of July but am open to suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
This might sound dumb but don't bring a gun/hand gun with you. The border people will throw your a$$ in jail.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
LuckyPuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm doing Windsor-Toronto-Ottowa-Montreal-Quebec in May.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 8,602
The first of July will be perfect!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled View Post
I live in southern Ohio and plan to motorbike tour British Columbia this summer. I only have two weeks available and 5 or six of those days will be burnt up riding to and from the border in Montana. That leaves me roughly eight days to ride North of the border. Still doing research on the area. Hoping to tent camp at least part of the time.
My big question at the moment is...what would be the best time to this tour ? I was thinking around the first of July but am open to suggestions.
Thanks.
This other thread may be helpful to you; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035031
Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
This might sound dumb but don't bring a gun/hand gun with you. The border people will throw your a$$ in jail.
Not a dumb thing to say. I normally carry a concealed handgun but already came to the conclusion that I will need to leave it at home during this trip.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,177
Quote:
Thanks.
What type of riding are you looking to do, paved and easy gravel or full on back country exploring?

BC RIDING 2014
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,213
I like the idea of travelling mid-June. It can be cooking hot in the B C interior, in July.
Mid June: Kids are in school, less traffic, better choice of campgrounds/motels.
fwiw: the FSR campsites usually have lots of room.
The provincial ones will be full, in summer. You may reserve a campsite on-line.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 AM   #9
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
What type of riding are you looking to do, paved and easy gravel or full on back country exploring?
First trip up there, going solo, definitely pavement and easy gravel. Don't want to get in an accident that far from home. I like to explore when I ride but on this trip need to play it a little bit safer than usual.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 AM   #10
scrambled OP
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
I like the idea of travelling mid-June. It can be cooking hot in the B C interior, in July.
Mid June: Kids are in school, less traffic, better choice of campgrounds/motels.
fwiw: the FSR campsites usually have lots of room.
The provincial ones will be full, in summer. You may reserve a campsite on-line.
Makes sense... my bike is nearly ready...the only remaining thing to do is spoon on a set of fresh tires before I depart.
Just waiting on decent weather.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
R-1150-RS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,055
Quote:
Thanks.
I've always had the best luck travelling off-season. If you can hit the tourist areas when there are fewer tourists your enjoyment will be that much better.

Arriving a couple of weeks earlier will mean you miss the vacationers who wait until school is out to travel with their kids. Weather should be OK in June too.

Travel in Sept works too.

Gary
:) :)
Beware of the man who won't be bothered with details. - William Feather. A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding. - Marshall McLuhan. Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King, Jr. Freedom without regulations that protect the general good is nothing more than anarchy by the rich. - R-1150-RS
R-1150-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 342
+1 on doing the trip before schools out. I like the Kootenays for all the twisty pavement and great scenery. Creston up to Kaslo, New Denver to Nakusp and Vernon is a great piece of road. Great camping spots along the way too. From Vernon you could head up to Spallumcheen and then south on the Westside Rd to Kelowna, then back east and down hwy33 to hwy 3. From there you could pick east or west depending on timing. There are some great roads south of the border in Washington, Idaho and Montana. Going to the Sun road should be open by the end of June if it is still open to the public. Lots of options. What are you riding?
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 239
Travel Medical Insurance?

You may have already thought of this, but it's worth while getting travel medical insurance while in Canada. I do several trips to the states every year and I carry a travel medical policy with CAA (AAA) that is quite reasonable that covers me for multiple trips up to seven days in duration.

Hopefully you won't need it but it will make your life a lot easier if you do.

Wayne
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Do you have a heated vest? If you invest in one get the 0-100% controller as well. The vest should be just a vest and fit your body tightly. The jackets don't work as well as a tight vest. You can get a bib as well I guess but a vest is OK. Mine draws 33 watts and I have never had it at 100%. In the early morning, late afternoon or rain these vests are worth their weight in gold. Makes a miserable ride much more enjoyable early/late in the season in Canackastan!
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 471
+1 on the vest or heated jacket. was in BC 2 years ago. Late june. 30C at lunch and 4C in snow/rain showers before supper in high pass. I decided i would leave my heated gear at home, my wife the wiser one brought hers. I froze she was fine. Well worth it.
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote