Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #5041
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
At least you weren't hanging yourself Ron! Reno's can get to you after awhile

I'll get the books back to you sometime next week? When are you in and out again?

I'm racing the next 2 weekends but hope to get out on the KTM 530 and do some exploring after that, if anyone is interested. Just looking to do local stuff, climb the bike to the top of Godfrey (I believe that's the name) and visit Crescent Lake behind McKay, etc.

Next time, i'll drag you in for a beer...I just happened to have help, and was right in the middle of the drywall thing!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #5042
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
did the trial run of my 1979 GS850 after rescuing it from 20 some years of garage storage. Did a carb cleaning and a new set of shinko 705's and a 700km test loop down hwy 17 past the Soo and back up hwy 129. Awesome bike and it's pretty good on gas too. No troubles other than a fork seal leaking badly and spewing oil on my visor on a regular basis lol.

The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #5043
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
did the trial run of my 1979 GS850 after rescuing it from 20 some years of garage storage. Did a carb cleaning and a new set of shinko 705's and a 700km test loop down hwy 17 past the Soo and back up hwy 129. Awesome bike and it's pretty good on gas too. No troubles other than a fork seal leaking badly and spewing oil on my visor on a regular basis lol.

I love the classics, look forward to checking this one out. I rode one for a few hours, the shaft drive was something new many of us.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #5044
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Gord, is that a Wind Jammer and Vetter luggage? Had a set up like on my XS11....wish I still had that one.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #5045
isplat2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
...now when the Beemer guys talk about their GS's Gord can say...."Yeah..I got one of them GS's......"
isplat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #5046
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

my GS

ya lyle. it's all vetter stuff.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
Old 05-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #5047
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post

Sweet! Where d'you find THAT?

Sean :

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5048
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Gord, you would probably like to have the lowers for the Vetter..... they would complete the package... I had a 78, KZ1000, complete with cycle sound and 8 track. The cigaret lighter was finishing touch.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #5049
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Last season I decided I needed some wind/weather protection. I put the word out that I was looking for a Windjammer. I heard from and talked to a lot of guys and there were two common answers. "I had one but tossed it to the dump years ago, too bad you would have been doing me a favor by taking it away". OR: " I've got one, (know about one, buddy's got one etc) and the price is $150"...or more! To some they were a piece of trash taking up space and to others they are a valuable vintage accessory.
I finally found this Luftmiester which was a German copy of the Vetter design. A very good copy, (hard to tell them apart unless you know) that was made to specifically fit the BMW airheads. I did the necessary mods and made a bracket and it worked pretty good. I like the storage it provided as well as the ability to sit up straight, (take the weight off my arms as my elbows are toast) and the quiet. BUT, it was over kill on my old Titan and just didn't look right.
Over the this past winter I found a Shoei FM-2 for a cheap price and that is what I'm using now. Not near the coverage but it does take the wind off my chest and I can still run my higher bars so my sitting position is ok. My head is in free air so no buffeting but I've got to go back to using ear protection.
Bet I get wetter this season as well.

On another note: looking forward to seeing many of you in two weeks. Put a fresh sticker on the RV(rusty van) and about to transfer the insurance from the winter beater (which also shares her battery). The DT is running good and should provide some "Dual sport nostalgia" for you all. As well as mosquito abatement.
And: I agree with Finndian, don't jinx us with good weather talk. I don't know how many times I've been wearing a snowmobile suit, sitting in an aluminum boat, pretending to be enjoying myself on the May Long. (while all the smart fish are ignoring my latest $18 Rapala, despite what my buddies $400 fish finder says...)
BTW that old GS looks good. A bullet proof machine.

Relic
1976 Yamaha DT400C;1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #5050
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzirelic View Post
Last season I decided I needed some wind/weather protection. I put the word out that I was looking for a Windjammer. I heard from and talked to a lot of guys and there were two common answers. "I had one but tossed it to the dump years ago, too bad you would have been doing me a favor by taking it away". OR: " I've got one, (know about one, buddy's got one etc) and the price is $150"...or more! To some they were a piece of trash taking up space and to others they are a valuable vintage accessory.
I finally found this Luftmiester which was a German copy of the Vetter design. A very good copy, (hard to tell them apart unless you know) that was made to specifically fit the BMW airheads. I did the necessary mods and made a bracket and it worked pretty good. I like the storage it provided as well as the ability to sit up straight, (take the weight off my arms as my elbows are toast) and the quiet. BUT, it was over kill on my old Titan and just didn't look right.
Over the this past winter I found a Shoei FM-2 for a cheap price and that is what I'm using now. Not near the coverage but it does take the wind off my chest and I can still run my higher bars so my sitting position is ok. My head is in free air so no buffeting but I've got to go back to using ear protection.
Bet I get wetter this season as well.

On another note: looking forward to seeing many of you in two weeks. Put a fresh sticker on the RV(rusty van) and about to transfer the insurance from the winter beater (which also shares her battery). The DT is running good and should provide some "Dual sport nostalgia" for you all. As well as mosquito abatement.
And: I agree with Finndian, don't jinx us with good weather talk. I don't know how many times I've been wearing a snowmobile suit, sitting in an aluminum boat, pretending to be enjoying myself on the May Long. (while all the smart fish are ignoring my latest $18 Rapala, despite what my buddies $400 fish finder says...)
BTW that old GS looks good. A bullet proof machine.

Relic

I'm not big on Wind Jammers anymore, had a few in the past....but GT500 catches my fancy... It would look good in the shed along side my other two vintage bikes. $$$ ?

Espanola is just a short run for you...bring it along?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #5051
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Gord, you would probably like to have the lowers for the Vetter..... they would complete the package... I had a 78, KZ1000, complete with cycle sound and 8 track. The cigaret lighter was finishing touch.
kz1000 I had one of those. LTD. Turned it into this.

Ya I had thought of looking for lower's but then I couldn't use the highway pegs.
oh I have the cig lighter and casette deck too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post
Sweet! Where d'you find THAT?

Sean :
Some dude in sudbury who should have kept it for himself.
Ride Reports
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #5052
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
I'm not big on Wind Jammers anymore, had a few in the past....but GT500 catches my fancy... It would look good in the shed along side my other two vintage bikes. $$$ ?

Espanola is just a short run for you...bring it along?
Well I've kind of got the idea that I'd like to bring the RV with the DT on the back rack. That way I've got instant sleeping quarters and the dual sport bike in case we cover some gravel. Other option would be the sidecar rig with camping gear in the chair, (it works good on any road surface) but I'm not so much in the mood for tenting as I encroach on my geezer years. Of course the GT would mean strapping on camping gear as well.
It is a great bike although mine's a pretty rough example. As with all my rides, I got it in parts. Mechanically in very good condition now but it would take a bucket full of cash to do the cosmetics. And cleaner examples come up for sale for much less than I'd have to invest to bring this one back.
If you're collecting, the 1972 is the one to get. Lots of chrome and either orange/white or lime green/white for colours. But the GT's (made in '76 and '77) had the disc up front, larger 17L tank and they had fixed the third, (or was it fourth?) gear issue. They are no RD400 performance wise but a good all rounder that folks say will run for ever.

Relic
1976 Yamaha DT400C;1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #5053
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdude View Post
Trying to fab up a tool compartment for the drz. ive seen a plastic tube in some posts
i'd like to mount oposite the muffler on the rear. whats it called ? document holder ?
I tried a couple of places in town ... they looked at me funny. anyone...

John Deere part #AN241471 cost maybe $35

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 04:55 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #5054
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Another bike.

Brought home another bike today.
This one's not for me though.

36 volt oset trials. My 6year old likes it.

Ride Reports
Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #5055
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 463
5 bucks from agri supply in states.

http://www.agrisupply.com/operator-m...ister/p/67670/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
John Deere part #AN241471 cost maybe $35

2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)