User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Oddometer: 997
The Toubabs ride Morocco

Toubab: a Central and West African name for a person of European descent ("whites"). Used most frequently in the Gambia, Senegal, and Mali, the term does not have derogatory connotations by itself, though it is also frequently associated with "wealthy traveller" (if one can afford to travel, then he/she must be rich). The word can also be applied to any perceived traveller - even those of black African descent with an identifiably different phenotype such as (whiter) Cape Verdeans and (blacker) Nigerians, up to foreign-raised locals (thus with a different accent) or a visiting expatriate. –Wikipedia

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Toubab

The West African Toubabs: a few of us started riding together a couple years ago. As we rode through small villages in the bush outside of Dakar, we heard kids yelling “Toubab, toubab,toubab!” I don’t remember exactly how we came up with the idea to call ourselves The West African Toubabs but I think it had something to do with someone’s desire to make a bunch of stickers with TWATs on them and plaster TWATs everywhere we went!

The TWATs

Ryan: he plays with electricity for a living, and he owns one of the few bikes in Dakar that wasn’t stolen from Europe (he looked at 8 bikes for sale after he got here and only found one that wasn’t hot, so he bought it)!

Alan: our token Aussie. He likes to work in the sand, is always up for a weekend ride (when there isn’t any surf) and rides what we hope is the other “not hot” bike bought in Senegal.

Larry (currently in the States): he was supposed to be our fourth rider on the trip but hurt himself a couple months ago and couldn’t come with us. He was man enough (or stupid enough) to take a GSA where no GSA should go and we got great footage of it. He’s also the only guy I know that left Dakar on a Medevac plane and then came back dating a nurse! Seriously, he went to a hospital with nothing but a gown, a phone and an iPad and within a week of getting out he was dating a nurse! We were all so impressed that we decided to take Larry to Morocco with us anyway. You’ll see him again…

Pete (honorable mention): he moved from Dakar to Uganda recently and couldn’t make the trip, but he’s a TWAT to the core and I know he’s following along. He brews his own beer, likes to stuff sausage and has a beard good enough to make Paul Bunyan his bitch!

Me: I moved to Dakar a couple years ago and have tried to see as much of Senegal as I can before I go. If you want to see TWATs in Dakar, look here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900179

Before I moved to Dakar, I searched for everything I could find about riding in West Africa and I didn't find much. So I started searching about riding in Africa in general. What I found made me realize two things:

1. My KTM 990 was too big to have the kind of fun I wanted to have in Senegal (I downsized to a 690).
2. I had to ride in Morocco.

We couldn’t get the time off to ride TO Morocco but we did find a way that worked for us to ride IN Morocco. Before I get in to the specifics of the ride, here’s a taste to keep you FF’s interested.

Todd34 screwed with this post 03-29-2015 at 05:00 AM
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
neanderthaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
What's with the facial injury pic above? Hope it turned out well. Looking forward to the ride report
Old 03-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #3
gs-ell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Looks amazing, we're doing Morocco this year, look forward to the report

Hope the facial injuries is not as bad as it looks

Ride safe
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:57 AM   #4
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Welcome aboard neanderthaler and gs-ell. Unfortunately, the face was the least of his worries. He also had a broken femur and a broken hand. It happened on the morning of the first day so we'll get to that part pretty soon! I think he's doing well now, no thanks to his insurance company though..

Todd34 screwed with this post 03-29-2015 at 05:09 AM
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
Redkrouge
Independent

Oddometer: 319
I'm in

I'm an electrician, I drink beer and just finished (January), a tour of five weeks in Morocco. I impatiently awaits on your version

Morocco
The Odessa File
Four days off on the roads of Switzerland
Redkrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Welcome aboard Redkrouge! Maybe we can get Ryan to tell his story about a Senegalese "electrician" that didn't believe that Ryan was telling the truth when he said a distiller wasn't grounded properly.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #7
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,128
Todd I'm subscibed. Has been many years but I still remember when visiting the Chuck county transfer station or ride around http://www.assateagueisland.com/

In case you are home sick
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 15,792
the Other Lance is in, looking forward to it!
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Hey Lance and Lance! I'm glad you guys are along for the ride.
Lance, I hear it got down to below freezing in Annapolis lately so no, I'm not really missing that right now!
Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
auldublinr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Fantastic

Great intro Todd ,really excited to travel along with you guys .
Thanks for letting us join
auldublinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
RaiderRed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Looking forward to the rest of the photos and videos! That vid of the dune is sweet!!
PS, thanks for the shout out! My orange Beemer almost looks at home with your KTMs.
RaiderRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldublinr View Post
Great intro Todd ,really excited to travel along with you guys .
Thanks for letting us join
Auldublinr, thanks for following along.

Pete,
What's on tap buddy? I wish you could have been with us on this one.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:08 PM   #13
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 3,058
Alright, I'm all ears! .
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #14
Braindmp
NOB!

Oddometer: 39
More camel toe....

Just say'in
Braindmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
RaiderRed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Todd, I'm sorry I missed this adventure.
On tap; IPA, Hard Cider, Coconut Porter!
RaiderRed is offline   Reply With Quote