Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #1531
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Ara and Spirit,
Glad to see you're both well. We were hoping to make it to the outdoor expo but simply couldnt.
It's our two year anniversary on the road today, do you remember how that was for you?
We are heading north and will go through Colorado to see Shawn C. Maybe we bump into you somewhere. I'll keep tabs on the RR to see if we get close.

Best wishes and safe journey you two!

Brian and Deya
See you soon! Better be hungry...

Summertime roads... CO

This is the time, the months, these precious moments when being in between four walls with a nice wifi connection is truly rare. These are the times chasing cool weather at high elevations meaning lost on some dirt road opening into a meadow reflecting the blue skies staging the pure and white clouds chasing each other. Sometimes blended with grays by the end of the days. Once in a while, as today, we find us a nice Library as here in “Lake City”, Colorado, and the communication again opens up, catching up on the well being of others, of Friends and acquaintances. I am seeing and feeling Colorado as never before. Maybe as every year that goes by new senses develop? I don't remember the colors so bright and so intense. I don't remember seeing so many unpaved roads going right and left. Posts keep going up on our Journal, we do have a great Webmaster, he makes it so easy for us. New Photos, thoughts, that is what these past years have been about... many thoughts. Maybe too many.
Talk soon and be well... we will be in Colorado for a while, the price of fuel is not much of our Friend lately!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1532
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Lake City, Blue Mesa Reservoir, Salida and now Colorado Springs. CO.

The heat wave is following us or is it we are falling into it's heated arms? 100 +/- in Colorado Springs were we have stopped for a few days catching up on mail and errands. I feel as they should have a Weather Map for the Country indicating any regions under 70 degrees daytime. Not wanting to be stuck on a Peak we will probably soon move on North, a couple more days here it will be.
In the meantime we did spend a few days around Lake City and on down to Blue Mesa Reservoir and Salida to replace a passed away “will join the pile of dead electronics somewhere on Earth” smart phone.
I don't know why I seem to have lost a bit of stability. Maybe just have not found yet this space which will talk back to us and invite us to remain a bit longer than we have lately.
“Father's Day” has not helped neither these past days. Seemingly, the better the memories, the harder present times are.
I feel as we need a fresh start. Summertime and the roads await, we will find those empty spaces appealing to the senses. They are there and as before, they will be “here”. A couple entries: “Postcards from Colorado” and “Salida. CO”.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1533
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

On to “Brooks Lake”, WY.

Elevation is what we have been seeking, without the crowd and the heat. We found it a bit passed Landers and Dubois, an unpaved road (515) going up to one of the most beautiful scenic Lake we have been able to camp on it's shores. Today the snow has almost melted, but for a few days having to walk on it to get to our tent, well, it is the end of June and “what a feeling!”. We are avoiding Yellowstone and the Tetons, no need for us to get caught in miles and miles of traffic jams because of a squirrel crossing the path. There are dozens of “off shoots” from the main road, I think we are taking roots here exploring the vast neighborhood. After all, we do live on the road, we are not traveling.
It is going to be a “hot and dry” I keep hearing. The valleys are indeed warmer than we like it and so was Colorado Springs feeling as an oven. We only lasted three nights with some good Friends, we lasted one night in Landers with more good friends.
“Mother Nature's” little self made spaces is what we always seek... and find.
Enjoy Brooks Lake and it's surroundings.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #1534
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Reading...
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #1535
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 148
Happy birthday Ara on the 28th

Hello Ara and Spirit. Are you going to be in Wyoming come Aug.? I am planning a three week trip to the PNW starting Aug 10th through Sept.4rth I have been following your blog for years and would love to meet you both on the road sometime. I will be riding from Maryland through IL,ND,MT,WY,Alberta,British Columbia,Victoria, south to WA,Idaho then back to MD.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #1536
motojosh
Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
I remember when you started this thread, and I can't believe it's been six years already. You've still got a place to stay if you ever make it to Missoula, Montana! Happy trails to you and Spirit.
motojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #1537
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Hard to believe also! Almost six years and feeling as we have just started...
We will be ??? early August! SPOT is always on when we move... Flag us down!

4th of July, a Rodeo, Friends and Nature’s Fireworks. WY.

No lack of excitement these days. Staying above 9000 feet, trying to and leaving only when Mother Nature decides to throw in her own Fireworks. Spectacular I must say when witnessing Mountains blowing up at Brooks Lake. A little Parade in a little town called Dubois, a Rodeo in another little town called Lander, all this is taking place in Wyoming. Brooks Lake up to the moment when the Mountain erupted only 9 miles from us has been one of the best space found with cool temperatures and many off chute roads we yet have to ride them all. Snow was even present when we arrived. I saw it as free ice even !
Tomorrow starts another leg in the Journey. Salem, Oregon to pick up... ( another surprise for now!) and on to Leavenworth, Washington, for a couple cooking Classes with the combined efforts of Snow Peak and Overland Journal.
One day at the time. Schedules? Never... We try not to anyhow.
Enjoy the photos of our past days.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #1538
Archimedes
Adventure Researcher

Oddometer: 181
Ara,
Sorry we missed you at Brooks Lake, we must have been close but couldnt find you for some reason. Either way I understand the heat problem, we were getting murdered by the heat!
We headed North and the weather improved, tempurature wise.
Hope you two are well and maybe next time we'll actually find you two. We are only days from home but a long way from the end.

Best wishes amigo,
Brian MD
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #1539
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Ara,
Sorry we missed you at Brooks Lake, we must have been close but couldnt find you for some reason. Either way I understand the heat problem, we were getting murdered by the heat!
We headed North and the weather improved, tempurature wise.
Hope you two are well and maybe next time we'll actually find you two. We are only days from home but a long way from the end.

Best wishes amigo,
Brian MD
Next time as I know there will be a next time...
Back down at 5000 feet today and yes, 103 yesterday! We will be up elevations again. On our way.
Hard to find us without a SPOT and all that modern technology!!!
Stay in touch... Ara and Spirit
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #1540
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

A few days in Salem. The road to... OR

The stage has been #20 ~ #26 westbound toward Salem. Rural Americana with it's rustic remainders of now almost defunct villages and the farmlands adorning the shoulders mixed in with the entrances and exits of the various National Forests. As sad a bit such little villages are today as I could only guess from the faded storefront signs of their previous wealth, they provide a slice of History never found in books or pamphlets. The price of today's now as an antique standing tall fuel pump denotes the year when slowly the main street folded giving way maybe to a bypass or just the fact of a new generation leaving for the big town where the jobs might be more rewarding.
“Sublimity”, “Gates”, “Idanha”, “Unity”, “Prineville”, “Sweet Home”...
We stop when the old oaks have enough shade to cover us from the hot sun for Spirit and I to stand all alone within the silence of a non existent traffic and just be, sometimes often still hearing the noises of the past glamor today vanished.
We could have spend weeks covering such short distances, but we had to be as we are right now in Salem awaiting for "Terra Explorer”. A surprising turn of events for us as seemingly this Journey has always brought on.
More Photos on the Journal... Enjoy.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #1541
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

“Terra Explorer”, Salem. OR

From crate to finish. 3 mechanics, 3 days. Welding, cutting, bolting on, soldering, so many hours customizing this road worthy hack. We have already spend a couple days in the Detroit Mountains taking on roads [if they are so called...] where “Old Faithful” would have not adventured herself. Reverse and two wheel drive when needed are such a beautiful thing. #1 in it's custom production this will be a premiere Overlanding vehicle. Is. Truly.
After such days in Salem, having the ability to disappear for a few days was a welcome gesture throughout these present times as now, this morning, we are on our way to Leavenworth, WA, for 3 days of Classes. “One~Pan” cooking with the presence of “Snow Peak” and “Overland Journal”. Sunday will be over and we will then start the slow drop to Tucson while we house sit a couple weeks and then on to Munich and spend another couple weeks with my Mother.
For such as us who have never a schedule I keep wondering “what happened?”.
It is all good though...
More photos on the Journal. An amazing progression.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #1542
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Dropping South, Crater Lake, Mt Shasta. OR. CA.

Seems as usual the days of summer get away so rapidly. I savor the long days without much interruption and sleep is curtailed to less hours than ever. I even feel tired at times when I finally realize midnight in the woods has approached and the first sun rays jump start me so early. It has been quite some “couple of weeks” nourishing the relationship with “Terra Explorer”, I must say a more than pleasant one when riding those narrow trails without any apprehension. Reverse and two wheel drive leave me always speechless.
Yet we battle with Mother Nature at times. Looking for elevation, escaping the mosquitoes, running away from the high temperatures, summer has it's charm and challenges.
I forgot to mention “running away” from crowded spaces also, but when I saw Crater Lake I could not help wanting to spend a few days exploring the circle it makes. It was not too bad, traffic was light, one and only “tent camping” space was fairly quiet. We did escape it before the Friday and Saturday's exodus of the weekend warriors happened and dropped a bit more south to the top of Mt Shasta. As far as the road could take us anyhow.
The experience of a Sunset and a Sunrise (so far) adorned with a sky filled with traveling clouds left me just sitting in my chair and taking it all in. Act One, Two, Three and more...
I forgot. We also spend a few days in “Plain”, WA, coaching many cook outdoors with provided “Snow Peak” gear and the get together organized by “Overland Journal”.
The Photos will speak for themselves on the Journal.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #1543
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
I saw you guys on the TV show RightThisMinute last week, the guys at work were totally impressed!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1544
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I saw you guys on the TV show RightThisMinute last week, the guys at work were totally impressed!!!

Thanks! we were not quite on the same wavelength it seemed like. Rushed!

A serious case of debriefing. CA

Our Summer descend South has started. Too early for my taste but... always a but! House sitting a couple weeks for the same Friends who are going to take good care of Spirit while spending 2 weeks in Germany with my Mother. This is what happens when such events are planned right in the middle of Summer. Yet I am finding such a Season to be a difficult one since we like cold. Mosquitoes have never ceased, the heat is always present even if hovering around 10.000 feet, maybe need to switch our path to a different one. Pretty much stay put in the summer and confront the snow and colder elements in the winter in areas we have not seen covered with their white blanket. We now have the vehicle to do it with as “Terra Explorer” is turning out to be an amazing machine with a Old Soul trying to grow up a bit too fast!
We spend a grand time in Mc Cloud for about a week in a house loaned by our Friends, and now within the heat of Tucson we are pretty much staying put besides a magical evening a couple days ago North of Tonopah filled with storms and cooler temperatures.
Those will be photos for the next time. Right now it is all about Northern California...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #1545
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef View Post
Thanks! we were not quite on the same wavelength it seemed like. Rushed!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

It's a fast paced, high energy show...played well and you guys looked great!