Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #826
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,304
The Oasis of my Soul..

A ride to Presidio, Texas

Always a fun road to ride, to photograph, to stop and meditate, think about the reality of it all on how all this came about.
The road itself has been closed since the floods, all cleaned up now and open to local traffic when nearing Presidio only because of some cracks on the south side. It was a quick ride, a bit shorter in time for us from the norm as I know we will ride it again and probably again! Our phone is in! DSL is in at lightning speeds, all being an incredible task from the Big Bend Telephone Company. They showed up a couple mornings ago with semis and tractors, trench digger and a full crew to extend the line .3 miles! All in one day of work. They have a no non-sense operation and were back this morning for the final hook up and activation.
Spirit again is ecstatic to be riding in his car and between the all day ride and fetching the ball he is passed out… The “Do not disturb” sign is up… Maybe food will change his mind! The Sunrise and the Sunset yesterday where both an incredible gift from Mother Nature… you can see them on the Blog.
Be well… Ara & Spirit
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #827
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
'Just'

Just another day at "The Oasis".

you said on your blog. every day will be a special day. thinking of future journeys, experiencing being in one place for more than a few days. watching the view go past you, rather than you passing the view.

As always, a great read.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #828
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

Thank M1tch... have you been here?

More riding, some Friends and more cooking, Texas

Since “Old Faithful” ( might have to call her “Young Faithful” now!) has been revamped, we have been as they say “burning up” the roads, mainly to Alpine. Many “Motorcyclist Café” Forum riders have been in town for the weekend, “Aprilia” motorcycle demos, a great dinner and much chatting. Putting some faces on all those names, those handles everyone uses, has been quite a great experience. Big Bend after all “is” a destination as it feels being at the end of the World, and it is.
It was winter for a couple of days, the electric heated gear was out, today again the warmth has come back, one could not ask for a more perfect day on “The Oasis”.
Cooking some left over ingredients, pictures of how Big Bend has come about, it is all on the Blog.

Be well…

Ara & Spirit
Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #829
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
Thank M1tch... have you been here?
No, but maybe one day. it would be a great trip, but planning things is not easy for me, i just tend to think of where i want to go, then go. thinking of eastern europe next year. i want to see some of it before it gets too "european" and has a mcdonalds on every corner
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #830
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch
No, but maybe one day. it would be a great trip, but planning things is not easy for me, i just tend to think of where i want to go, then go. thinking of eastern europe next year. i want to see some of it before it gets too "european" and has a mcdonalds on every corner
That sounds real interesting as yes, Big Bend will always be here... maybe!

The dirt road to Marathon, Texas

One does not realize how vast this area is till they traverse a region less traveled as it was riding the “Old Marathon” Rd, only 23 miles of unpaved road with long stretches of deep sand and rocky slanted sections and challenging. It is an area where one does not even see the glimpse of a roof at any distance, close or far as within other areas around here. It is again a “road” which makes one wonder how it all came about. This one connects east and west dropping into the Park in its end. We never took a stroll down Marathon’s main street as instead we stumbled onto a group building “papercrete” homes. A real interesting concept as they say it will change the future on how homes are build, utilizing much paper in need of recycling. It gives me ideas for putting up here at least for starters a “storage” structure. Of course it is a catch 22, I would need much water to accomplish that task… so we have to get the water situation under control first! Time will tell…
Enjoy the ride…Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #831
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars...

“Papercrete” Homes, Texas

Quite an alternative for structures which would do well in this climate. A “paper” shelter! Who would have thought…
But of course as everything else there is a catch. Need for a mixer and above all water which we do not have to spare… Some kind of a pick up truck to haul “stuff”… some tools. A tent is sounding better and better! Always two sides to the coin.
This land tears me up sometimes in the sense that I don’t want to leave, such silence, quiet, peace and serenity surrounded by beautiful landscape, at the same time the road calls, the wind on my face while rolling down the stretches is also part of the present Life. I try to balance it utilizing warmer times to do so.
It is now the perfect weather for this area, it was a good decision to anchor down for the winter, not saying there will not be some freezing spells! I am hoping for some blankets of snow sometime in the near future.
On to Alpine today… there seem to be always and errand to run!
Be well… enjoy the “papercrete” homes…

Ara & Spirit
Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #832
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

To Boquillas Canyon, Texas

With much going on in the neighborhood such as mainly the Chili Cook Off, meaning “stay off the roads”, we went in hiding into Big Bend’s Park. Very few cars, a couple bikes and much space. Lets face it, it is the least visited Park in the USA.
We spend some time by the Rio Grande, across from Boquillas, Mexico, a small town separated from the World by a closed border and a River.
Such little distance separates us and yet in reality a different civilization is there, we are the same but we are not. We should be… maybe some day?
The ride back was as pleasant as the ride in, maybe a bit more thoughtful, unless totally insensitive to others it would be impossible to not start thinking at a population so close to us and yet so cut off from the mainstream.
The photos are on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #833
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,366
Love the firepit, Ara

Save 20% when you sign up to the best photo hosting site around: SmugMug!
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #834
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

It is calling you!

Matters of the Heart, Texas

The ride to Alpine the other day was of a different tempo! There is a first for everything. What a better way to celebrate two years on the road with an Ambulance ride to the Hospital!
The heart just gave up. Spirit was left behind and I went ahead for some care and maintenance. First the bike, now myself. We will all be brand new soon. We are going back today as we made it here when released, more tests and needing to spend some time with a Cardiologist, either here or in Odessa.
I feel a bit in limbo as they say! The bike is even covered right now as we will be away for these couple of days. What a sad sight!
Coincidentally it was also the celebration of the “Day of the Dead” in Terlingua.
More about it all on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #835
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
It is calling you!

Matters of the Heart, Texas

The ride to Alpine the other day was of a different tempo! There is a first for everything. What a better way to celebrate two years on the road with an Ambulance ride to the Hospital!
The heart just gave up. Spirit was left behind and I went ahead for some care and maintenance. First the bike, now myself. We will all be brand new soon. We are going back today as we made it here when released, more tests and needing to spend some time with a Cardiologist, either here or in Odessa.
I feel a bit in limbo as they say! The bike is even covered right now as we will be away for these couple of days. What a sad sight!
Coincidentally it was also the celebration of the “Day of the Dead” in Terlingua.
More about it all on the Blog

Be well… Ara & Spirit
Ara! I hope you're alright. Keep us posted and I know I'm not alone in sending you well wishes.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #836
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

It will be alright KV... thanks for asking. Let me know if ever in this area... will be here.

The “Colors” of Life, Texas

Back at “The Oasis”, feeling better by the day and trying to sort out the steps to maybe be approved for Health Care. This reminds me so much of the times when Lance was sick and we were asked for the mighty $ first… who cared what his name was. I am getting the same treatment! It is a sad state of affair but somehow, either here or Florida, it will be taken care off.
I think there is a bunch of Dual Sport Riders in town this weekend, a turn of the throttle and will go to meet them as we did last year.
All is well, I feel so clean as I think the nicotine has left my body by now and without coffee either my senses are becoming so perceptive of my environment. I was thinking this morning how great this was, much less to pack on the rig!!! It is a change I have to say, a great change as I have to take the positive aspect of it all.
Another recipe, all on the Blog.
Be well… Ara & Spirit
Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #837
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

BC, you are an awesome chef!

best wishes for your continuing recovery & staying off the smokes.

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #838
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
It will be alright KV... thanks for asking. Let me know if ever in this area... will be here.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 AM   #839
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv

Will be waiting!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #840
BeemerChef OP
Wandering Homeless

The Oasis of my Soul...

In retrospect, Texas

I feel as the meds are kicking in. There is a clarity in the mind which is starting to prevail and that nicotine craving is just about gone, hoping that the Cardiologist’s prognosis on the 17th will be a decent and fair one! We are actually going to take ride today into Terlingua, Lajitas. There is a group of dual sport riders in town and many we had met last year. The “Lifestyle” change was almost brutal the first days but already now it seems that all is leveling off and my attention is starting to again focus on… traveling! I need to focus a bit more and being anchored down for winter here, always mild but yet, high winds and freezing temps do happen. Yesterday morning actually for the first time Spirit’s outside water bowl froze to my surprise.
Photos? They are all from “memory lane”, they have been my travels these past few days throughout the Blog.
Be well, and again, “thank you” to all the kind readers that have extended a hand in these difficult times. We both appreciated more than you think.
Ara & Spirit