Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
carlgustav OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Riding school concerns/?

So,

I've looked at some of the riding school threads & have narrowed down my choices to 2 of them; Cornerspin & American Supercamp. This is something I'd like to do next year. When AScamp comes to the SE area, they will be closer to me than Cornerspin, which is a consideration. Both appear similar in price.

I'm concerned about how I'll react to the change in riding style dictated by the schools. Meaning, I've been riding track days for a few years now, and I'm accustomed to shifting off the seat to the low side. This appears to be opposite of the style of these schools. I want the experience the schools offer, but I don't intend to give up track days on my sport bike. So, has anyone dealt with this? Is it a non-issue? Is it similar to having multiple bikes, some with 'GP' shift & some without?

ACE
carlgustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,072
if i understand your concern correctly, you are worried about having issues with your track style riding of hanging off the inside of the bike in corners vs. the dirt style taught by cornerspin and american supercamp?

if so, it's not an issue. lots of people ride both (paved) tracks and dirt. and, yep, you use two nearly opposite styles much of the time. (hanging off the inside just plain does not work in dirt.)

i don't do track days, but in general street riding, i switch between the two styles (using whichever one i think is appropriate for the given situations) seemlessly. not a problem. (er, well, i don't really hang off and drag a knee or anything, but i do "kiss the mirror", shift my weight inside, and lean more than the bike in some corners. in other corners--particularly at lower speeds in the city on dirty/potholed/brake bumpy streets--i keep my body upright, weight the outside peg, and lean the bike under me dirt style.)

it's good to have a good handle on both styles of riding.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Not an issue. For road racers they aren't really concerned with body position, or that type of stuff. It's really about throttle control and managing traction. You will crash and it will be a lot of fun. I think I crashed about 50 times when I did American Supercamp. I highly recommend it.
klebs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,062
I have taken American Supercamp, ride a mini supermoto, a full-sized supermoto now sold, and a sport-tourer.

You can take what you need, and apply it as you should, depending on the bike you are riding. So my experience was I learned a lot that I applied to most any bike I ride, and it made me a much better rider.

You will have a wonderful time at any of the riding camps you mentioned.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
carlgustav OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanx for the responses. I'll probably try the American Supercamp school as it's closer to me, and there's some good roads to ride on the way over ...

ACE
carlgustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,318
Three time AS student here (slow learner). It is a great school; I highly recommend it.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
7 time Supercamper, here and a REALLY slow learner. And old too. Ride like it, too. But I digress. American Supercamp is not only a great learning experience but an incredible hoot as well.

Besides, where else can you crash with Josh Hayes, or Chris Carr! Policed 'em both up at least once. Danny a bunch of times. Besides, they tell you "If you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough!" And you're riding their bikes.

I'm not going this year ONLY because I'm retiring in January and that extra two days off would cost me a bunch on pay out and retirement. But (Warning Danny et al!) I'll be back next year!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
So my wife and I are attending American Supercamp in Gainesville GA this weekend. Any of you FFs going?
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
So my wife and I are attending American Supercamp in Gainesville GA this weekend. Any of you FFs going?
Look for a white-haired, pasty-faced, grim-looking fellow inmate while you're there...

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 AM   #10
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,421
I need to check it out - sounds like a lot of fun.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Hey, Sean, it was great to meet you and Barb at American SC. Hope that foot recovers quickly. I'm kinda looking forward to some on-the-job convalescing myself.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #12
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Hey, Sean, it was great to meet you and Barb at American SC. Hope that foot recovers quickly. I'm kinda looking forward to some on-the-job convalescing myself.

Nice to meet you too! Heading to the doc today for the foot.

For those of you who want to try this class I would highly recommend it. The instructors were very good. I expected Danny Walker to be good because he's been doing this for so long. The surprising thing to me was how good the guest instructors were. They were basically a bunch of young hotshot racers but when it came to teaching they were thorough and patient.

The facility in Georgia where we took the class was very good. Football field sized dirt arena under a roof (nice since it rained all day the first day).

I was worried I'd be the oldest guy there, (I wasn't) or the fattest guy there (maybe) and my wife was worried she'd be the only girl (she wasn't). The other students were a mix of racers, amateurs, newish riders and some ADV types. They break you down into groups so you're on the track with people who are close to you in ability and speed. The wife and I ended up in different groups which was nice because then I didn't have to try to pass her.

They say on the website that you will fall down and I think pretty much everybody there did. Some of us more than others. I didn't get all that dirt on me from staying wheels down. I'm sure everybody there will be pretty sore today.

I went into the class with a lot of street and gravel miles but no real dirt experience and my wife is a relatively new rider. I think it's safe to say we both learned a lot and I will be much more confident in the gravel.

One of the other students told me that he's taken the class 3 times and he can't put a finger on why, but it makes him a better street rider each time. I'm pretty confident it will be the same for me.

Forgot to mention the best part- It was FUN. We had a great time. I feel pretty lucky that I have the kind of wife who thinks this was a cool idea for a romantic weekend.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote