User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Did ABS prevent me from crashing today?

I've never been a believer in rider aids, nor have I been on an ABS bike and in a situation that actually activated it.

So I was getting off the highway and onto a clover turnoff. Once I realized I was going too fast for this unusually sharp corner, I started tugging on the lever pretty good. Things would have been fine, except I was headed for a couple patches of sand about the width of a car tire, but still enough clean pavement to believe I wasn't headed off the road (Well, maybe for a millisecond I was worried). With about 5 degrees of lean angle the ABS activated (the lever started fluttering) and soon after I heard a chirp from the front tire. I was straight up and down by the time I has slowed down enough, let off the brakes and made the turn.

I have virtually no experience with ABS and the only other time I've heard my front tire chirp was on the track, which then led to a lowside.

So at risk of sounding stupid, what happened?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
It happend what you described. On the sand patches, the ABS activated. A short chirping while trying to brake just at/under the ABS activation point is quite common, especially on surface changes.

Maybe you would have catched her without ABS as well, but it's a good bet to say it saved you. At least it helped you to save yourself.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,005
A thread like this is going to be nothing but assumptions and internet opinions obviously.
I don't think anyone really says that ABS is a bad thing, with the exception of non-paved surfaces. So yeah, it helps.

Having said that, my assumption and internet opinion is that what happened was the sound broke you out of your target fixation (on the sand, or on the edge of road).

Also, regardless of what equipment your bike has, you will find that you're always able to brake then turn more efficiently than trying to brake while turning.

So either the ABS saved you or it didn't. But if it did then that means you made mistakes to put yourself in the position. The two listed above would be my first guess.
But anyway, all talk on my part in this case because I didn't ride at all today and the weather was gorgeous.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
The chirping sound could also have come from you shitting in your pants.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
Also, regardless of what equipment your bike has, you will find that you're always able to brake then turn more efficiently than trying to brake while turning.
Actually it's most efficient to brake while turning at 22.5 lean angle and only braking or only turning is the least efficient (but easiest and thus safest) way.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Were you on the KTM in your sig? I think it may very well have saved you. It doesn't take very long to go down when the front wheel locks especially when leaned over. A lot of people claim that the newer gen ABS systems will work when mildly leaned over.

The new 1190 Adventure is the only one I know of that has true cornering ABS, but I bet there will be many more soon!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Colorado_Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Yeah, my new SMT with 200 miles on it. My initial thoughts were that it did save me, those Brembo's have remarkable bite, and it was my first emergency stop. 5 degrees isn't much and may have been less but I can actually visualize the bike just flipping instantly on it side. Scary as HELL!!! After almost 100K street miles the one time I've ever needed it.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
5 degrees lean won't be a problem with "regular" ABS. Lets's say 30-35 and up, could be another thing. But there are lots and lots of variables at play.

Dunno what makes people think, that if they lock their front wheel without ABS in this situation, that the front would not fold. It will instantly.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
It happend what you described. On the sand patches, the ABS activated. A short chirping while trying to brake just at/under the ABS activation point is quite common, especially on surface changes.

Maybe you would have catched her without ABS as well, but it's a good bet to say it saved you. At least it helped you to save yourself.

I'd agree, it might have. As said, it will only be an assumption since there is no positive proof.

In addition, it might have only worked in that brief fraction of a second if you changed your pressure on the lever when you heard the tire chirp and the ABS likely start to work. I've done that with the car. Hit the brakes on a slippery surface (snow), the ABS hits, but due to habit I let off a bit and gently pump - the ABS stops working since I'm now doing the stuff myself. You might have hit the ABS, but then compensated due to habits from non-abs.

Still it worked at least initially if not totally. Not a bad thing at all.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post

Dunno what makes people think, that if they lock their front wheel without ABS in this situation, that the front would not fold. It will instantly.
Because some people here can sense when the front wheel just locks up, and they can get off the brake fast enough to let it unlock, even at 40-45 deg, and at 90 mph. Them ABS computers are too slow to react. Pffttt don't need no stinkin ABS anyway.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
My ride has abs and tcc. It also have thottle by wire and a host of additional rider assist features like electronic cruise control. Everything can be set for on road, off road and off. I had tested all the features purposely and also not so purposely. Electronic rider assist features rock. Compared to my previous do everything myself ride. I cannot explain why anyone can say they dont like it. With the execption of a few pros I do not see any everyday rider that can say they can do better without them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Because some people here can sense when the front wheel just locks up, and they can get off the brake fast enough to let it unlock, even at 40-45 deg, and at 90 mph. Them ABS computers are too slow to react. Pffttt don't need no stinkin ABS anyway.
not gonna argue with you on that. But I suspect that the vast majority of riders are not really able to do that in real life, instead they'll hit the deck.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
I don't think anyone really says that ABS is a bad thing, with the exception of non-paved surfaces.
O, just wait. The anti-ABS cult will be along shortly.

They're like Jehovah's Witnesses, always coming around when they're not wanted.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
My ride has abs and tcc. It also have thottle by wire and a host of additional rider assist features like electronic cruise control. Everything can be set for on road, off road and off. I had tested all the features purposely and also not so purposely. Electronic rider assist features rock. Compared to my previous do everything myself ride. I cannot explain why anyone can say they dont like it. With the execption of a few pros I do not see any everyday rider that can say they can do better without them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Same reason some of us don't have big honking bikes loaded down with a lot of stuff... why some of us ride smaller engines with less power...

The challenge of being in full control. Nothing to do with anything other than I just enjoy the challenge of being in full control... Just like you like having all the electronics to take some of the control. My choice. Nothing more. My choice.

As for having to be a pro rider to be able to maximize performance of a machine - after 45,000 miles and around 15 years on my one bike I have a fair feel for what is going on and haven't had any real close calls with other vehicles to speak of over that span of time. And I don't baby the bike. Long term experience with one machine can do a whole lot toward being able to maximize performance of the machine - especially when part of that experience goes off the pavement, making for fine braking skills.

I will say I'd really like to see what could be done with ABS on a light weight dual sport/off roader, mainly on the front for actual off road use.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550

markk53 screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 07:04 PM
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
So at risk of sounding stupid, what happened?
Let me ask a different question: ABS or no, you didn't crash. What did you learn from the experience, what would you do different the next time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
As for having to be a pro rider to be able to maximize performance of a machine - after 45,000 miles and around 15 years on my one bike I have a fair feel for what is going on and haven't had any real close calls with other vehicles to speak of over that span of time.
One could argue you haven't had any close calls because you've learned to stay out of the situations that call for heroic maneuvers. That's not to discount any level of riding above layin' er down, with or without ABS.

Damn soapboxes.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote