n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
*bump*
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #167
A17kawboy
takin' the high road easy

Oddometer: 9
When travelling low budget from Souris, P.E.I. to, eventually, Edmonton, Alberta I slept along the road several times. No room for a tent or even sleeping bag on my KLR. Carrying clothes and tools. I found that wearing my raingear and helmet I could sleep fairly comfortably outdoors. Once during a sudden, violent electrical storm in northern Ontario I took refuge in an ATM room for five hours or so. I set my wristwatch alarm for 5 am so as to be gone before the first customers showed up in the morning. Crashing behind an all night gas station in Quebec I spread my map out beside me so that it more or less looked like I had fallen asleep reading my map. Nice to have a story ready, just in case.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #168
'Dumbdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
roadside rest areas are usually equipped with an outhouse, picnic tables and enough private grassy areas to pitch a tent.
on the negative side....
they often attract bears, foxes, raccoons, and bandits (thieves not suzukis).
You can find them all across Canada, along the trans canada hwy.
'Dumbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #169
RSDOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Cool2

Well said. I carry everyday bike or cage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
It's an individual decision, for sure, and there's no denying that being armed can complicate a situation where you're dealing with landowners or LEO's'. I respect if someone feels they don't need to go armed when they ride.

And, the flip side is that your life is worth something, and for some of us returning home to our families is paramount, and being unarmed on the highway poses some risks too. I was mugged and severely beaten in a rest stop on my 20th birthday, in broad daylight. I still carry pins in my joints from that attack, which was unexpected and unprovoked. Till you live through the terror and helplessness of such an event, no one can really convince you of the old addage of "better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Carrying concealed (I'm a permit holder in 32 states), there's no reason for anyone to ever know I'm armed unless I'm posed with life-threatening violence, or in the few states where I'm legally bound to notify a police during an encounter. It's a non-issue, until it becomes an issue and by that time you can't go and arm yourself if you don't have a gun. I liken it to carrying a fire extinguisher. It's not paranoia, it's preparedness and if you choose to go without, you accept that when the fire happens you'll have to find other ways of coping.

The thing I know from my job as an addict counselor, is that meth and violence are getting into areas where they have NEVER been before in alarming numbers, and that means some very remote and rural places....it's very much an epidemic. Drug runners and meth-addicts are no one you want to meet in the middle of nowhere, unarmed, and alone. Meth makes you, literally, a zombie. You feel nothing, no consequences, no remorse, meth addicts are single-minded and can be very dangerous.

It's something to think about. I'd love to live in a world where I saw the bad things coming, or knew that where I was didn't have bad people roaming around in it. Sorry to say, I have no such power so I choose to be prepared even if it means some complication. Carrying a gun should never be comfortable, it should be comforting, as Tom Gresham likes to say.

Bogart.
The Big Sleep.
RSDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #170
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,398
you guys that "Camp on a picnic table in a rest stop" must have Industrial strength earplugs. All the cars and 18-wheelers running all night would keep me from getting a wink. I like it quiet when I snore.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #171
'Dumbdog
Gnarly Adventurer

In reading this thread, just two little things come to mind...

One when I was young and single....it was easier meet chicks at the bars than to find places to camp....

Two, now that I bring a woman with me, it's easier to Bed and Breakfast, or hotel it than to camp...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #172
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
you guys that "Camp on a picnic table in a rest stop" must have Industrial strength earplugs. All the cars and 18-wheelers running all night would keep me from getting a wink. I like it quiet when I snore.
Read my post quoted above about rest stops. There are few more dicey areas on the open road in which to be asleep. Ask a trucker, or a highway patrolman if you should sleep in one. Do a google search on the topic.

They are high crime areas, period. I've become an unwilling expert on the topic as I had to deal with many stories of it during my rehabilitation and subsequent retelling of my event.

I'd sleep almost anywhere before a rest stop. From a criminal's standpoint, it's superb hunting. Quick entrance & exit, people not paying attention, open 24/7, and often with people from out of the area, carrying money & valuables, and enforcement spotty or not close enough to interfere.

There are much better places to stop. Behind a church, or a building, hidden on a side road, etc.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #173
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
‘Hole in the Wall’, this is the point of interest I saw on the map. I think it’s the place where Jessie James and Billy the kid hid out. My father wanted me to be named Jessie after Jessie James. I gotta check this out.

I know Jessie has spent time on this ridge with his horse, probably camping right here where I am. This is a perfect lookout over the valley with a fast getaway behind.

d00d !!!

Click> Hole in the Wall

Cool place. Wrong oultaws, though...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #174
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Read my post quoted above about rest stops. There are few more dicey areas on the open road in which to be asleep.
+1

Some interstate rest areas in Arkansas have been shut down because of the severe crime problem. I suppose they were a good idea 50 years ago, but now with services at nearly every exit, they've become dens of crime and vice.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #175
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
I always camp in the woods on tours. Seems like a rip-off to pay a campground for 10 square feet of ground. Here's the tricks I use:

Powerlines. Even a street bike can often get down powerlines enough to get out of sight. Just as importantly, the noise from sleeping 'ON the side of the road' can be miserable. I did it one time several years ago, won't do it again.

If it's after dark, look up in the air for blinking red lights along the side of the road. Those are radio towers or satellites or something. That's your landmark--head towards the light! It's usually a gravel road and has a basic gate. Ride around the gate. Sometimes you'll see a sign on the fence that says something like "Warning: Emits frequencies harmful to humans!" Just pitch the tent a few feet farther away

I was taking classes during the summer a coupla years ago. Rather than pay for rent(also couldn't find a place that would lease me a short time) I loaded my camping gear up on the KLR and lived in the woods for over 2 months and took showers at the gym. Took the money I saved from rent and bought a kayak. Ah, life is good.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #176
'Dumbdog
Gnarly Adventurer

you know, I've NEVER had any issues when pulling up late to a gas station in the middle of nowhere, setting up a tent off to the side somewhere, and sticking a note on their door:

I arrived late, you were closed. I wasn't sure where the next gas stop would be, and decided to wait for you to open up. When I wake up you can expect to sell me some coffee, gas, and munchies. Thank-you.

Can't tell you how often that first fresh hot cup of coffee was free.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #177
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
What about those rest stops off the Interstate? Is it legal to camp there?
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #178
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66
Maybe in some states. However, I know that this summer my brother and I contemplated staying at one due to fatigue one night on our "big" road trip. However, now I can't remember which state we were in but there were definitely "no camping" signs posted in various places at that particular restpark. I believe we were in Maryland. The only reason you put signs up like that is because someone's tried it before.

I'm not too familiar with many stops, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't ever dare think about camping out at any of the stops on I-69 through MI or IN due to the shady characters you see there on a regular basis.

Also, you might note the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59
+1

Some interstate rest areas in Arkansas have been shut down because of the severe crime problem. I suppose they were a good idea 50 years ago, but now with services at nearly every exit, they've become dens of crime and vice.
Quote:
Read my post quoted above about rest stops. There are few more dicey areas on the open road in which to be asleep. Ask a trucker, or a highway patrolman if you should sleep in one. Do a google search on the topic.

They are high crime areas, period. I've become an unwilling expert on the topic as I had to deal with many stories of it during my rehabilitation and subsequent retelling of my event.

I'd sleep almost anywhere before a rest stop. From a criminal's standpoint, it's superb hunting. Quick entrance & exit, people not paying attention, open 24/7, and often with people from out of the area, carrying money & valuables, and enforcement spotty or not close enough to interfere.

There are much better places to stop. Behind a church, or a building, hidden on a side road, etc.

Sir Not Appearing screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 02:27 PM
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #179
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66

Read posts 173 and 175.

Spend as little time as possible at interstate rest stops here in the USA.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #180
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I just read the last few responses. Damn, I'm glad I asked now! I didn't know it was so bad, I just envisioned a place where truckers and families stopped for a rest.

Now it reminds me of that scene in the movie "Something About Mary"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59

Read posts 173 and 175.

Spend as little time as possible at interstate rest stops here in the USA.
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote