Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #181
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnx66
I didn't know it was so bad, I just envisioned a place where truckers and families stopped for a rest.
It's not "so bad" and they are just places where truckers and families stop for a rest.

Lots of rest areas are manned with guards. Occasionally a news story will pop up about a rape or robbery at a rest area, and it gets far more publicity than rapes and robberies at other places.

Unfortunately, crime at rest areas deters tourism, so states often go to extreme measures to stop it, including shutting down the rest areas themselves. Can't have any tourist-scaring crime at rest areas if there aren't any rest areas.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #182
A17kawboy
takin' the high road easy

Oddometer: 9
I'm thinking bear spray might be a good compromise between a firearm or nothing. To be honest, mummy bags and bivy sacks also worry me. Way too confining. You could be shit-kicked before you had a chance to get free of the bag.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #183
WooPig
Oh Glory!

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
It's not "so bad" and they are just places where truckers and families stop for a rest.
At least for the deep southern gulf states: The visitor's centers near the state lines are generally better patrolled but DO NOT go to sleep outside a vehicle in the more remote rest areas. Seriously.

WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #184
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
last time through kansas I slept on a picnic table off to the side by myself. I used to drive semi's and spent plenty of time in rest areas so I know how they are. I've done it plenty over the years and never had a problem but like anything ,you never know. if no other people are around is when I'm a little leary and will move on. last time in florida they had law enforcement stationed at rest stops all night to prevent problems.
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #185
donnyh
Waiting for the Sun

Oddometer: 6,029
In the west, the seedier rest stops are the ones near closer to large cities.

All of them in SoCal are sketchy, for example.

The nicest one I've seen was in Idaho. Taj Mahal of rest stops.
donnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #186
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dumbdog
you know, I've NEVER had any issues when pulling up late to a gas station in the middle of nowhere, setting up a tent off to the side somewhere, and sticking a note on their door:

I arrived late, you were closed. I wasn't sure where the next gas stop would be, and decided to wait for you to open up. When I wake up you can expect to sell me some coffee, gas, and munchies. Thank-you.

Can't tell you how often that first fresh hot cup of coffee was free.

THAT is pure Brilliance ! I am going to use that idea, polite, and electricity, or bathroom, water etc !

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #187
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Wow, this thread has some simply amazing idea's and shared resources! I have always found backroads a non-issue as well. Churches and some remote rest stops have never given me a problem either. Also had a Super 8 Motel Manager give me a space in their backyard and a shower in the morning for three bucks...talk about customer service!

Always open to trying out new places if anyone is in Southern California!
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #188
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466

Old 05-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #189
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
MC camping

It took me a long time to get away from tents, but if you want to go minimalist, go to Campmor.com or one of those places and get yourself a lightweight backpacking hammock (they even carry one in camo). You can pack REALLY light that way, and if you are worried about rain just get a small tarp to cover up with. See, with the hammock you can just park your bike any old conspicuous place and it hardly matters, walk back in the woods and set up your hammock have a great night's sleep. For some reason it seems the perception for people is that since you don't have a tent, your not really setting up and using their property without consent. Many times I get a smile and a laugh, if anyone even sees me. You can get away with this in some pretty urban areas too, woods near a park, behind industrial parks, anywhere really.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #190
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy
It took me a long time to get away from tents, but if you want to go minimalist, go to Campmor.com or one of those places and get yourself a lightweight backpacking hammock.
A good idea, but it makes one dependent on trees or other stable structures.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26290
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #191
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
I'd sleep almost anywhere before a rest stop. From a criminal's standpoint, it's superb hunting. Quick entrance & exit, people not paying attention, open 24/7, and often with people from out of the area, carrying money & valuables, and enforcement spotty or not close enough to interfere.

There are much better places to stop. Behind a church, or a building, hidden on a side road, etc.

If I were a No-Goodnick I'd be looking for prey in a rest stop
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #192
paul.miner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59

I was roused at about 4 or 5am by a pair of friendly cops that said the staff at the carehome whose property I was on had called and wanted to make sure I was gone before management came in in the morning. I packed up and it actually turned out to be great to get an early start on that day.

I intend on doing a lot more boondocking this summer, those campground fees add up!
paul.miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #193
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z

Lots of rest areas are manned with guards. Occasionally a news story will pop up about a rape or robbery at a rest area, and it gets far more publicity than rapes and robberies at other places.

Unfortunately, crime at rest areas deters tourism, so states often go to extreme measures to stop it, including shutting down the rest areas themselves. Can't have any tourist-scaring crime at rest areas if there aren't any rest areas.

Jamie
I think you're naively dismissing what is a real problem. Crime is unfortunately quite rampant, from property theft to assaults. Don't take my word on it tho, seriously ask a state trooper the next time you see one about crime in rest stops, ask specifically whether sleeping there would be advisable.

I even saved you the trouble of a search, just start perusing the articles:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-701

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #194
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Crime is unfortunately quite rampant, from property theft to assaults.
I gotta agree. Arkansas rest areas can be quite scary places esp late at night. I've had a couple of "incidents" there (like a guy following my wife into the women's restroom). Don't know about other states. But I've never seen a guard at a rest area in Arkansas and rarely a LEO.

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #195
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
Quote:
I think you're naively dismissing what is a real problem. Crime is unfortunately quite rampant, from property theft to assaults. Don't take my word on it tho, seriously ask a state trooper the next time you see one about crime in rest stops, ask specifically whether sleeping there would be advisable.

I even saved you the trouble of a search, just start perusing the articles:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-701
I'm quite surprised I wrote what I wrote. That was a year ago... and like you wrote, a rest stop is the last place I'll consider for a place to stay. I think sometimes I like to dispute people who think that everyone is out to get them.

That said, I've found quite a few rural rest areas (Texas is great for those) which are pretty remote, and I'd feel safe staying. I'm rarely on the interstate system, so perhaps when I made my comments based on my experience with the old CCC-built roadside rests.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote