Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #196
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,335
I just read the whole thread and thought it was bump-worthy. I am going to try some stealth camping this summer both because tent camping fees are becoming absurd and also just to add a little zest to m trips. As I drive and ride around doing my daily errands and such, I "practice" spotting what would be good potential stealth spots.

One thought I have is that I may have an edge if I use the Ural. It has better offroad capability. Also, the novelty of the vehicle and the sort of goofy cuteness of a sidecar rig might make people more receptive than if I was some sort of "biker."
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #197
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I practice spotting stealth sites as well, but hadn't really put it to use in actual practice. I did have to camp "in plain sight" one night while on my recent 20 day kayak trip of the texas coast. It was right next to a busy boat launching area. I had got some local intel about the business that was not operational right there and when the time was right, after dark, I set up my black mesh tent in the corner next to a shed and it just blended in with the background, hardly showing. I didn't use the rain fly as I thought that might attract too much attention but I needed the mesh part to shield me from the blood suckers. My big white sea kayak on the other hand stood out like a lighthouse tower but at least I didn't have it right next to me. I've been fortunate lately in that my camping as been mostly remote and easy to do but I still "practice" spotting stealth sites for both my tent and hammock.
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #198
haithabu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Wooded highway medians can work. Relatively secure as long as you are out of sight because no one ever goes there. And if trouble does develop, help is only 50 feet away. The only downside is, it can be a little noisy.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #199
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
I do it almost exclusively. I think I've stayed in motels twice and paid campgrounds (officially) never.

Stay off the interstates. There is an intestate culture in a belt about 5 miles wide down both sides. It's oriented towards 4 wheeled transients and you don't want to deal with it (expensive among other things). Median land and the like is often swampy and bug infested.

The farther East you go in the States the more crowded things become and the harder it is to cat out. Helps to know the state laws then---like what states allow camping in a rest areas. Many rest areas outside larger cities and towns are big Gay hangouts. I've been propositioned several times and things can get pretty gross back in the trees. Worth avoiding (unless you want to hook up I guess)

Pick up a 6 pack of ground softener and some dinner (like half a cooked chicken) and fill water jugs in the last town you go through. Use a restroom. Then find your spot just before dusk. I like to be invisible but if I can't then I wait until later and camp in the open covered by darkness. I've done this on open feild acess roads and the like (to be awakened by a truckload of early workers heading to the fields). The farther from towns the better.

Never build a fire unless it's a Forest service campground or the like and there is a pit. Cook on a stove quickly and then practice light discipline. Go to sleep.

If the road signs have a lot of bullet holes (especially deer crossing signs) be more through with the invisible part. An out of the way campsite or clearing with a big fire ring may have teenage revelers showing up late. A promising picnic area on the map that's years abandoned on arrival should be avoided. There is a reason (like the mosquito infested swamp right behind it)

Always make the most minimal camp and leave at first light. I usually stop in the next town and set up a stove on a picnick table and make tea, maybe have a shave. Helps to always look presentable when talking to cops and landowners. I've run into both and both were armed. Always flash the ID, smile, say where you are from and where you are headed. Land owners get a business card. People usually like to hear about and share the adventure. Friend of mine polishes up his bike as well. I don't. I've never been cited or told to move on---but then I'm so cherubic looking. Landowners want to know that you're not "camping", going to burn the place or damage/steal anything. Cops want to know you're not a fugitive or ploting some crime. Everyone is supicious of the nomad---you aren't going to be around to be accountable, So you need to get across a lot of good character quickly.

Carry bear spray if you worry about bears. Works on people too in a pinch. Don't keep food or garbage near camp---including a t-shirt you spilled soup on or something. Bears like to be near town or campgrounds and all the easy food. Really wild bears are more flighty. Loud pipes (and high beams and horns) save lives. Don't hesitate to fire up the bike to scare off bruno.

Add some serious burn gear to your first aid kit (along with the large area skin bandages.)
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #200
FatHalf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
tent list?

I tried to add my place to the "tent list", and the thread was closed. What happened to it???
FatHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #201
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHalf
I tried to add my place to the "tent list", and the thread was closed. What happened to it???
It became the "hookup list".
Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #202
FatHalf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
It became the "hookup list".

Link? I can't find it..
FatHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #203
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Shit! I was thinking of coming and doing a tour of the US but it sounds way too dangerous for me.
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 AM   #204
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
I've stealth camped enough that I do it properly and have never had a bad experience, so am not scared by the prospect of the stealth camping itself.

Later in the year, I will be going on a motorbike trip through western Europe and will stealth camp at least some of the time.

My Dutch is poor and my German is almost non-existent, so whilst I'm sure I won't be looking down the barrel of a gun, I'm a bit more concerned about my ability to politely talk people into letting me stay if I'm discovered. Although I suppose being able to point at the tent and say "sleep" then "morning" and gesture riding off may be enough. I also know how populace Holland is (and how few suitable hiding places there are compared to most countries, given how flat it is). I had heard that because of the prevalence of "proper" campsites, the Germans are a bit less accepting of stealth camping than other countries, too. Whilst I don't agree with their POV, I always try to operate on the "when in Rome..." principle when travelling and for the sake of a few euros would be happy to avoid upsetting anyone, if it really is a big no no there.

Holland is less of a problem as I have family/friends there who I will be staying with most of the time, but there might be the odd night, most likely dead centre of the country. I imagine most of the time I'd be looking to stealth camp will be in the Eifel region of Germany and also the Ardennes in Belgium.

Does anyone got any experience of stealth camping in Germany, Belgium and/or Holland and can they offer any tips specific to these countries?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #205
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHalf
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538554

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #206
Birddodger
Gets lost on purpose

Oddometer: 158
I have had good luck Stealth Camping In closed campgrounds.
All the amenities of a proper campground toilets, picknic tables bear boxes,etc. None of the drawbacks. Camp hosts,fees, late night partiers, generators etc.
Just last week I was looking for a spot near the tioga pass enterance to Yosemite. After crusing 3 campgrounds (all full) I spied paydirt A sign saying "Campground Closed" Just enough room to get a bike around the locked gate. I found a spot next to the river where my bike was easily hidden in the trees. I slept on the table. In at dusk and out at dawn. Also I was close enough to the park enterance that I didn't have to pay the entrance fee and the traffic was non existent. WTF I was just passing through.
Birddodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #207
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
But Be Polite

Politeness still counts if you're stealth camping. Living on the Alaska Highway, I get people - despite the fact it's obviously a private driveway - coming into my place. Tonight was a good example, two fellows on GS, stickers all over. Cruised the house, cruised the back yard, checked out my (private) lake, stopped in the front yard to chat with each other, ignored me when I came out on the deck to ask if they needed help or directions. This is a good way to get moved on. Otherwise they might have been told they could camp here. Not to cause trouble (heh, heh) but why is it usually GS riders that act like this?
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #208
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog
Politeness still counts if you're stealth camping. Living on the Alaska Highway, I get people - despite the fact it's obviously a private driveway - coming into my place. Tonight was a good example, two fellows on GS, stickers all over. Cruised the house, cruised the back yard, checked out my (private) lake, stopped in the front yard to chat with each other, ignored me when I came out on the deck to ask if they needed help or directions. This is a good way to get moved on. Otherwise they might have been told they could camp here. Not to cause trouble (heh, heh) but why is it usually GS riders that act like this?
pretentious fuckwits?

fixed the color so FFs can read it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #209
j911brick
Squidinator

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog
but why is it usually GS riders that act like this?
What observations have you made about other groups of riders? Maybe you just see more GS riders and they tend to be more adventurous than other riders. Maybe more GS riders come from foreign lands where this kind of behavior might be customary. In my limited experiance GS owners are more mature and would never impose on somebody else's property. I once rode on guy's property by accident but that was because the GPS tracks I got on line said that was the route, and the GPS showed his driveway as a county road. Apparently I wasn't the first person to do and he he did have a posted sign.

R1200GSA; Honda Hawk GT; Honda NSR250 SP Rothmans; Honda RS250 GP; Honda CRF250X; Honda 300 Dream.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/j911brick/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3CPzKpZYSU

Porsche (several)
http://members.rennlist.com/j911brick/rennlist3_002.htm
j911brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #210
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBare
Shit! I was thinking of coming and doing a tour of the US but it sounds way too dangerous for me.
You'll be fine. Have a nice trip. Lotsa nice people to meet. I'm serious. The quality of folks you meet on the road is wonderful.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote