Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #301
Alphamale11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Outstanding thread! In every trip I've planned, I always needed to break down my days based on where I would end (camp/hotel). I've never though of churches, schools, parks etc. (No cemetaries though) I'm an early riser anyway so I'd be gone before anyone was the wiser. I can't wait for the next long ride.
Alphamale11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #302
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I canp on the bike, mostly at campgrounds.

My girlfriend says go where ever and when ever you want, just no camping along side the road.

I do what she asks. I am usually gone every weekend. I did stay in Jefferson national forest in a field. There was a campground not far because I could hear them.

I just sleep in a tent, I do not camp. I get up early, fold up camp and look for the first coffee. This can make for an interesting trip. I like to end up at the local diner. I carry nothing for cooking. Maybe a fork. My tent gets put away damp or wet on the bottom.

My problem is looking for a campground and getting there so I am not setting up by a flashlight,

We went from Copenhagen to Lake Placid, he went back to copenhagen the same day, I stayed at medowbrook right behind the tail of the pup in saranac,

I figure the twenty dollars I pay for the campsite is worth it for a hot shower.

I flew up route 10 and that airhead was right behind me the whole way.

A fire is required if time permits.

Somewhere in Ohio.

David R screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 04:45 PM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #303
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I rode from Missoula, MT to Buffalo, NY taking only back roads. Camped off the road the whole way, no troubles. Stop late, leave early. On a separate occasion I did sleep in a Walmart once, awoke to the guy buffing the floor by my head.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #304
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller View Post
On a separate occasion I did sleep in a Walmart once, awoke to the guy buffing the floor by my head.
WOW! How did you come up with that idea? In most of the walmarts I have been in the crazies come out after 10 pm.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #305
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by technikiller View Post
On a separate occasion I did sleep in a Walmart once, awoke to the guy buffing the floor by my head.
Did you just find a quiet corner and lie on the floor and fall asleep?
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #306
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I would not want to camp at most of the apartment complexes over here in Fayetteville, and Fayetteville is a safe town...

Like you said, "location, location".

If you don't know your location, it seems like a pretty big risk to sleep out in an apartment complex...
An apartment complex isn't an ideal location, but it works in a pinch. Small towns are better. In live in a fairly small town — population: 12,500 — and I wouldn't have any problems setting up a tent for a night in any of the complexes around here. None of which has a security guard. Heck, most of them have part-time managers.

I can definitely see where it would be much different in a larger city. And I agree, it would probably be a bigger risk.

I don't make a habit of it, but camping in an apartment complex has worked for me a couple times. In today's disconnected world, no one bothers you much. They all assume you're a resident, or visiting a resident.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #307
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
CCW & Stealth Camping

Just as a side note; reading through this thread and saw the several pages of CCW. As a retired LEO, my point would be if your trespassing while stealth camping (Whether knowingly of not) possession of a firearm will increase your our misdemeanor indiscretion into a felony in many places. No need to loose your right to carry because of stupidity.

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #308
technikiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Did you just find a quiet corner and lie on the floor and fall asleep?
Yeah, it was like ten years ago. I just grabbed a baby blanket for a pillow and passed out.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #309
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
this weekends ride....
a little stealth beach camping along A1A
Love my Hennessy Hammock! Did you know you are not allowed to hang a hammock in a state park anywhere in FL??

Got harassed by a ranger inside of a state park campground. State law prohibits hanging anything from a tree!?
Vankaye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #310
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Love my Hennessy Hammock! Did you know you are not allowed to hang a hammock in a state park anywhere in FL??

Got harassed by a ranger inside of a state park campground. State law prohibits hanging anything from a tree!?
Probably because they are not aware of the negligible (non-existent?) amount of damage 1" wide webbing does to trees.

Once a law like that is on the books, there has to be a pretty good reason to go through the trouble to change it. "Meh, you probably could" doesn't cut it as sufficient reason. Unfortunately.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #311
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post

yeah...a lot of states have that rule. CT is one im aware of. that's why i usually try to stay in forests, and wma's. or on the side of the road

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #312
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
I camped with my RT. The only trip I took on the new R the weather was so bad I stayed in a motel both nights.

I have the same storage as the RT. I didn't' use the top box, the tent, bedroll and sleeping bag go there. Both
have factory saddle bags.

Alabama swamps in western NY this fall.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #313
Unstable Rider
ill mannered SOB

Oddometer: 2,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post

Cavebiker,

Can I ask what camera you mostly are using?

Some of your images are quite stunning, and caught my eye, so I have to ask, what camera please?

Hope to see you some time between the northshore and Hayward.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #314
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I guess in the NE it would be good to see if there are state forests nearby your route?

[QUOTE=chuckster243;3675141]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
I suspect you'll soon hear from folks who have done this. Some call it "stealth camping." Personally, I don't have any experience, in it.

As far as the trespassing issue, you would have to check the laws of the provinces/states through which you'll be riding, but I can tell you that in New York, you are not trespassing unless you have been notified that you are not allowed on the property. That notification could come via posted signs, written warning, or even a verbal statement from the owner. All that means though, is that they can't actually charge you with a crime. They can kick you off their property. Things may be different in Canada, but you should be able to figure it out with a little research. I'd wager that all of the applicable laws can be found online.[/QUOTE

In N.Y. property is considered posted and private if it has ever been "improved" this means cleared, mowed,maintained, just about anything. Literally every parcel in N.Y. is posted and you don't need a warning to be trespassing, you will be arrested, at first contact, the owner just calls the bluesuits. This info was obtained at a hunter saftey course, check it out with a C.O. if you'd like. THE RULES HAVE CHANGED!!
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #315
KemoSabe1943
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh Stealth Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walub View Post
Haha that would be great. The workers doing there morning chant could be my alarm clock. Then I could go to McDonalds for breakfast. Hmm maybe not quite my idea of solitude. But maybe in a pinch.
I've stayed in Wal-Mart lots, grocery store lots, and Truck Stops of American lots. Just go in late, find a spot out of the way, pitch the tent in a grassy area somewhere off to the side or back lot, and go to sleep. Trucks idling are good sleep aids...seriously! I figure truckers are armed, so I'll be safe in a truck stop.
Some good places are old cemeteries. I stayed in several. Not too much traffic in a cemetery overnight. I do not disrespect the plots, but stay off the sides in the grassy areas, mostly under a tree.
You can find a good logging road sometimes and head up them. Good copse of wateroak will give you lots of shade. Just watch out for the coyotes chasing the deer through there at night!
KemoSabe1943 is offline   Reply With Quote