Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #331
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Love my Hennessy Hammock! Did you know you are not allowed to hang a hammock in a state park anywhere in FL??

Got harassed by a ranger inside of a state park campground. State law prohibits hanging anything from a tree!?
ahhh, fortunately, there is no violation then. Palm "trees" aren't trees, they're GRASS. No law against hanging things from grass, eh?
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #332
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just picked up this Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter PRO hammock; I bought a 10' x 12' Etowah Camo Tarp to cover it last night. My aquisition of stealth camping gear has begun....

Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #333
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post
Just picked up this Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter PRO hammock; I bought a 10' x 12' Etowah Camo Tarp to cover it last night. My aquisition of stealth camping gear has begun....

Get an under quilt of some kind: Insulation that you attach to hang underneath your hammock and in contact with your hammock.
That, or put a thin foam mat inside the hammock.

Lying in a hammock gets cold when temps drop below 70 F and soft insulation between you and the hammock (lying in a sleeping bag inside the hammock) gets flattened and is not very effective.

pretbek screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 11:33 AM Reason: spelign.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #334
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Wow, below 70F huh? I have a sleeping bag I was pretty much going to carry with me anyway, and I have an older Therm-a-rest pad. Never tried hammock camping, but everybody seems to swear they'll never go back to a tent.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #335
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post
Wow, below 70F huh? I have a sleeping bag I was pretty much going to carry with me anyway, and I have an older Therm-a-rest pad. Never tried hammock camping, but everybody seems to swear they'll never go back to a tent.
Look up some of the Hennessy Hammock threads. You'll see that most agree a bit more insulation is needed.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #336
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Cavebiker,

Can I ask what camera you mostly are using?

Some of your images are quite stunning, and caught my eye, so I have to ask, what camera please?

Hope to see you some time between the northshore and Hayward.
Hey Unstable Rider,

The camera is nothing special, a Nikon Coolpix L110. The camera has a large diameter lens, the shutter setting was set slow and it was set up on a tripod using telephoto. Thanks man!

Cheers,
Tom

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #337
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
[QUOTE=capriccio;6782384]Ok, lets all take a deep breath and relax cause I have a suggestion that may push the wrong buttons. About approaching the local police department and ask for help in locating a spot for the night or they may be friendly enough to offer accomodations in an empty cell and they have showers. May be not. About firehouses amd surroundings. I have never tried any of this but next time I'm in a pinch I think I will.

[/QUOTE

You know, that's not a bad idea. Smaller town police, Rural Sheriff's Dept's would probably help you out. I read a TAT report where they pulled up to a rural VFD and were let to stay in the yard behind the firehouse. Can't hurt to ask.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #338
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,765
[QUOTE=deputygene;23815188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Ok, lets all take a deep breath and relax cause I have a suggestion that may push the wrong buttons. About approaching the local police department and ask for help in locating a spot for the night or they may be friendly enough to offer accomodations in an empty cell and they have showers. May be not. About firehouses amd surroundings. I have never tried any of this but next time I'm in a pinch I think I will.

[/QUOTE

You know, that's not a bad idea. Smaller town police, Rural Sheriff's Dept's would probably help you out. I read a TAT report where they pulled up to a rural VFD and were let to stay in the yard behind the firehouse. Can't hurt to ask.
I can't imagine any police department letting someone crash in a cell. Too much liability.

Maybe 30 years ago.
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #339
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I think I'll abandon the tent on my stealth adventures this season. I'm always looking for ways to pack more efficiently, lighter, and less. Last fall I acquired a US army issue 3 piece sleeping system which consists of a lightweight sleeping bag, a heavy(er) weight sleeping bag, and a cammo gortex bivy sack. They can be used separately, or combined, depending on the weather, and the whole package copresses into a sack smaller and lighter than many sleeping bags alone. Supposedly all three together and you're good down to -40F, but I've only tested it to zero and was pretty comfy with a therma-rest inside the bivy and under the bags. I may miss my mesh tent on hot nights with lots of bugs though.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #340
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
I stealth camp a good bit, because I am cheap, it extends my journey(more cash for food and gas), I hate dealing with people at campgrounds and hotels ( I travel to get away from people, not to hang out with strangers) and I love the adventure of snagging "naughty camping" :)

Outside of Salt Lake in a small town park

And of course my favorite - ON the Blue Ridge Parkway

Neat video.

If I remember right, pulling off the BRP anywhere you can is not prohibited. Camping probably is, but it looks like you had the tent tucked in pretty nicely and doesn't look like you threw too many beer bottles out on the road so maybe they don't mess with people if they behave, especially if they wear a light on their head.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #341
wibornz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #342
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Grave Yards

I've got an amigo that likes to stealth camp in CEMETERIES. It's among his favorite places to hide out and pitch camp when he's going cross-country, making miles, and riding from early to late.

Almost every little town has one nearby and some have spectacular views, shade, benches, treed windbreaks, etc. He'll usually find his spot just before it's dark, and then if someone shows up he will hang out like he's visiting a relative's grave site .......... until they drive on. He says they almost all have water available too. Prudent to check for sprinkler heads, possibility of getting locked in/locked out, nightlights, noisy flag hardware banging against a flagpole if it gets breezy, and he typically likes to find the shack for the tools and mowers and pitch camp out of view behind that if he can.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #343
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
What does he carry for zombie alert?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #344
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
I've got an amigo that likes to stealth camp in CEMETERIES. It's among his favorite places to hide out and pitch camp when he's going cross-country, making miles, and riding from early to late.
Cemeteries are often good places to spend the night. It's been mentioned in this thread numerous times.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #345
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
"Cemeteries ? - Nah, too popular."

"How do you figure ?"

"People are dying to get in there..."
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote