Old 04-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #346
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
What does he carry for zombie alert?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part ...... HE IS A ZOMBIE!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #347
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
What does he carry for zombie alert?
Run like hell!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #348
Billigan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I stealth camp once at lake front water treatment plant parking lot. I didn't sleep too well cause I was not used to it. Next time, I should be more comfortable with it. Regarding camping in a cemetery, I personal would NOT do it! If I must, it would be in an unoccupied section

I have heard bikers slept in ER waiting rooms, anyone done it at an airport bus or train stations? As long as you remove your riding gears, one should blend right in!
Billigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #349
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Semi-stelth camping

If you do it right, you can camp out in the open, and no one will care. You only need three things. The first is a flat spot big enough for your bike and tent. The second is security, which is mostly freedom from bears and tweakers. They work nights, and they get around. It's a problem. But they got places to go, and things to do. If theres nothing around to eat or steal, your probably ok. This is where you pay for your free camping. After that, I'd check the area for skeet's, widowmaker trees, party gargage and the like. If it looks good, then all you need is distance from neighbors. Camp in someone's yard, and they'll call the law. If your a quarter mile away, and on someone else's land, they wont give a damn, even if your in plain sight... How far away is far enough? In a coastal rain forest, I've been within a hundred yards of people's house's a few times and no one cared. It's amazing what you can find if your tired or breaking down. Out in the desert I'd want to be farther out. If your prospective site is within partial view of the main road, and plainly visible from a side road, yet not visible from anyone's house, it's worth considering.
Dirt roads are often productive, as long as they dont have mailbox's. Then it's a rich person's driveway. You'll get kicked out, DAMHIK. Unused rock pits work well. Look along the edge and find a grassy spot.
I dont like hiding. It makes you look bad, and the local's might know your there anyway. Likewise looking after dark, you need to see what your doing. It's great to have that knowledge, and be able to return to a spot after dark. But trying to find a good spot in the dark is all luck.

froger screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 08:10 AM
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #350
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
I have heard bikers slept in ER waiting rooms, anyone done it at an airport bus or train stations? As long as you remove your riding gears, one should blend right in!
You'd think they'd take issue with the tent!

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #351
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
Not to mention the Beemer owners who would insist on bringing the bike inside too!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #352
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
Not to mention the Beemer owners who would insist on bringing the bike inside too!
And the campfire.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #353
Billigan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
I don't think they would mind you setting up a tent, if the sprinklers are on and the nurses are being pesky!
Billigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #354
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
This year, I bought a black, lightweight bike cover because people see the bike before they see me. A couple of summers ago, I was sleeping in the trees next to the parking lot of a boat launch area with signs prominently posted saying No Camping. I slept through the night, but woke up not long before dawn when a voice belonging to a man who was almost stepping on me called to his fishing buddy, "Hey, there's a motorcycle over here." I startled him as badly as he startled me when I said, "It's my motorcycle."

I see a lot of people suggesting that you can ask a cop about a place to camp. Do some of you actually ask cops about places to camp? If so, have any of you actually been given a good tip? And if you've answered yes to both questions, where do they have cops like that?
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #355
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Haven't stealth camped in a while but when I did my theory was out of sight, out of mind.

I would make sure my tent and bike couldn't be seen from the road, houses, business, parking lots, etc. I would use a small stove or build a SMALL fire dug into the ground Dakota style.

Never had a problem.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #356
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLathe View Post

I see a lot of people suggesting that you can ask a cop about a place to camp. Do some of you actually ask cops about places to camp? If so, have any of you actually been given a good tip? And if you've answered yes to both questions, where do they have cops like that?
Yes and yes, Newfoundland.
No laws against it here. Beaches, headlands over the ocean, gravel pits, meadows. We have a lot of "Crown" land here and it is not owned. Hell, even if it is nobody minds as long as you take your trash with you when you leave.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #357
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLathe View Post
After he caught me on radar, was getting late and no camping in sight somewhere in the flats. He even phoned dispatch to check as he didn't think there were any and sure enough there wasn't. And never gave me a ticket, must have been my tired look after 10+ hours on the road.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #358
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,765
I've asked cops about places to pitch a tent a few times. Remember not to say "camp" because they will probably have in mind a campfire and drinking and other things some people do while "camping." Most of us stealth camping are just looking for a patch of ground to pitch the tent.

I had a cop in CA find me a spot behind the local firehouse. I had cops in MO tell me I could set up my tent in the local park and that he'd come by now and then to check on me. I've also had a cop in Canada offer to direct me to the nearest campground, and if you've been to Canadian campgrounds you know they're rather expensive and a fireman in Mexico denied my request to sleep out back of the firehouse. A cop in AR shrugged when I asked about a place to sleep. He wasn't interested in helping me in the least.

None of them hassled me though.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #359
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Most of us stealth camping are just looking for a patch of ground to pitch the tent.
I've done a lot of stealth camping/dispersed camping, and never once pitched a tent while doing it.

Maybe it make sense if you're doing it in a town--maybe it will reduce the likelihood of being bothered. I don't know. Haven't ever done it there. Or if it's raining. Sure it makes sense if it's raining.

But I think a lot of people automatically want to set up house--or at least sleep in a tent. I don't get that.

It's certainly stealthier if you can set up & pack up camp faster.

davidji screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 08:14 PM
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #360
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Cops have found my camp a few times. Of course I was just a tired rider about to go to bed, it was plain I wasen't going to cause them any problems. One officer said his partner was known to kick people out, but he didn't care. Unless someone is going to complain, you are probably all right.
If my camp is out of sight, yet there are people around, I'll get visited by people who didn't know I was there. Usually it's folks out for a walk. It happens a lot. One camp in ten, I'd say. Some people act like they've seen it all, to some it's obviously a new idea. Nobody gets mad. If I'm out of the way, but in plain sight, I hardly ever get visitors.
I have asked locals where to camp once or twice, and they were happy to help. It's probably a good idea, as long as you ask the right local. But over the years Iv'e developed a good eye for finding places, and can usually do ok by myself.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote