Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #361
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Yes and yes, Newfoundland.
No laws against it here. Beaches, headlands over the ocean, gravel pits, meadows. We have a lot of "Crown" land here and it is not owned. Hell, even if it is nobody minds as long as you take your trash with you when you leave.

Yessir.

"Hey there Officer, my name is X and I'm kind of tired and weary from riding all day. I left from (home town) x number of days ago, and have been on the road since (time) this morning, when I left (last place you camped). Is there a place around here, maybe in the woods near the highway, or just out of town that I could throw my tent up and have a rest before setting out for (next place) in the morning?"

I've used that line a couple times. I once got to set up my tent in the cop's backyard - He didn't mind and even offered to let me use his barbecue. I've got nothing to hide - people pick up on honesty.

What's the downside if you're just legitimately looking to crash? You're obviously not homeless (a bum), and you're being honest with them. If all they suggest is legitimate campgrounds, Just say you were hoping to find a quiet place where you won't be bothered, and you won't bother anyone if you leave early in the morning. They might ask to see your ID - oblige them - they're probably just adding it to their notes if they get a complaint of someone strange in the woods.

In my experience if You're upfront, respectful and cooperative with Johnny Law, they'll usually point you in the right direction. If the cop is a dick to you, maybe he just had to pull some guy away from his beat up girlfriend, or any of the other horrible things cops go through day in and day out - Critical Incident stress is real, and sometimes they don't feel to helpful. Thank them for their time, wish them a safe night, and move on.

Another tactic I've used is when in a rural setting, if you see a big field or large property, go up to the house. use the line above, asking them if there's a place around there you can throw a tent for the night - they might offer to let you do that at their back field. Again - it's been done many times - Sometimes they'll flag you down in the morning as you're leaving and ask if you'd like a coffee and some eggs. Farmers are usually nice people, but they don't take kindly to trespassers.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #362
pedalritter
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi, I live in Austria, Europe. This thread is an interesting read for me, as to get a clue how this is handled in the US.
I'm travelling a lot all over the world, except US. Not only by motorbike, but also by bicycle, kajak or just plain walking and normally avoid campgrounds. Nowhere it was a problem if you are polite and friendly to local people. For US standards a lot of areas in central and southern europe are extremely populated. Often it is impossible to find a place where you are not found and every sqare-feet is owned by someone and his family for at least the last 2000 generations
Of course you have to use some commonsense: At nightfall I try to be not near big citys, if I don't want to pay for sleeping. Same with places of interest for tourists, tourist beach-areas or desinated areas of nature-conservation. In most areas in europe people differentiate between someone who just sleeps and heads on or someone who wants to spend weeks at a campside. The second category is very unpopular outside of campsides, as they oftentimes pollute the surronding area. Just staying over night is fine for most people. I ask farmers if I happen to meet them, normally I don't.
In southeast - asia if you get found while camping somewhere the worst thing that can happen is, that someone brings you dinner. Never met so extremely friendly people anywhere in the world.
In central africa I have been invited to the homes of people repeatedly because they are -rightly so or not- concerned about your safety. A lot of people there fear not so much lions or robbers but black magic roaming around at night Also, often enough having a tourist in your home is good for your social status in the village.
In the rural areas of Russia there never was the slightest problem, as no one lives there In north or central russia you really have to search humans if you want to meet some. It simply is a very big country.
South america never was a problem, but there I usually was in very remote areas with my kajak... so no one was there to make trouble. In more populated areas I would at least think about the possibility of getting robbed. Depending of the area of course. But with camping, people there are just as fine as nearly everywhere else I have been. In the deserts of northern africa it is absolutely normal to put up a tent to stay overnight. There still are enough people who live in tents all their life.

All in all center and southern europe is the most difficult area for camping like this I know, but still here it is not really a problem if you just smile and wave at people passing by and make clear that you are not planning to make this spot your second home for the next month.

With north america I had no idea how people handle this, so this thread was interesting for me. I've been there only for short visits for business-reasons but never for a private trip. To be honest, it's maybe the only area in the world I'm a bit afraid of and till now I refused going there without being payed for it. I'm prepared to admit that it might be not entirely rational, but a country where everyone owns a gun and you can go to jail for buying a dildo makes me uneasy. But maybe I shoud upgrade my legal costs insurance and just go for the adventure .

Best wishes,
Nick
pedalritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #363
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 852
Greetings pedalritter,

I've never traveled outside North America but, I've motorcycled about everywhere on the Continent. I've never had any problems and most people you will find are nice and helpful especially if traveling alone. American movies and TV portray an entirely different country than I live in, Inner Cities not withstanding. People will leave you alone because they think you might have a gun.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #364
pedalritter
n00b

Well I'm sure you're right. It's not about the individual people, I've been around enough to know that there are nice, clever and firendly humans all over the world. It's more the political and legal attitude that to my eyes looks rather bizarre sometimes. Not that this wasn't the case in numerous other contrys I've been but luckily they normally are technical and organisationsal too incompetent to enforce it . Something that can't be said about the US. However, thanks for the reply, I'm sure I'll give it a try one day!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #365
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalritter View Post
.......................... I'm prepared to admit that it might be not entirely rational, but a country where everyone owns a gun and you can go to jail for buying a dildo makes me uneasy. But maybe I should upgrade my legal costs insurance and just go for the adventure .

Best wishes,
Nick
Personally I don't own a dildo, and there are none in my family that I am aware of, so I have no first hand experience in making a purchase, but, I didn't know you could go to jail for buying one. One more reason to steer clear of those "adult" book stores I guess.

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #366
otto
UAW

I suppose one could just leave their dildo collection home.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #367
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
I suppose one could just leave their dildo collection home.
He's Austrian. That's what their passport is printed on.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #368
pedalritter
n00b

The example came to my mind because some weeks ago my girlfriend applied for an externship in a quite famous horse clinic in Texas (she's finishing her studies in veterinary medicine at the moment) and even in the papers they sent to her she was told to be aware that the purchase of sex toys -I don't know about ownership- is prohibited by law. She just mentioned that she's not sure if all girls in texas are so fond of corn cobs... she at least is not willing to travel without her dildo when I'm not with her.

I hope no one felt insulted by my remarks, if so, I do apologize!

Best wishes,
PR
Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #369
otto
UAW

You said the US not Texas.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #370
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,555
Quote:

The example came to my mind because some weeks ago my girlfriend applied for an externship in a quite famous horse clinic in Texas (she's finishing her studies in veterinary medicine at the moment) and even in the papers they sent to her she was told to be aware that the purchase of sex toys -I don't know about ownership- is prohibited by law. She just mentioned that she's not sure if all girls in texas are so fond of corn cobs... she at least is not willing to travel without her dildo when I'm not with her.

I hope no one felt insulted by my remarks, if so, I do apologize!

Best wishes,
PR
I can't explain Texas.

But you would be welcome here in Virginia any time.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #371
pedalritter
n00b

Thank you very much! I'm aware of some differences between the states as far as this is possible without first hand experience...
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #372
easyrider88
POsIng PrO

Oddometer: 283
californy

I took a nap once on the side of the road in California near lake Tahoe.next thing I know im arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.i had my hunting knife under my leather jacket just in case I ran into an undesirable person.unfortunately the place I picked to nap was a notorious place for dealing drugs and a week before there was a shooting at my nap site.it cost me about $2300 in lawyer fees and such.but I was younger and more adventurous back then.now I sleep in motels.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #373
pedalritter
n00b

Quote:
But maybe I shoud upgrade my legal costs insurance and just go for the adventure .
Old 04-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #374
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
...American movies and TV portray an entirely different country than I live in...
Ain't THAT the truth, though.
(And "reality" shows may be the worst of the lot. They're anything BUT reality.)

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #375
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider88 View Post
I took a nap once on the side of the road in California near lake Tahoe.next thing I know im arrested for carrying a concealed weapon.i had my hunting knife under my leather jacket just in case I ran into an undesirable person.unfortunately the place I picked to nap was a notorious place for dealing drugs and a week before there was a shooting at my nap site.it cost me about $2300 in lawyer fees and such.but I was younger and more adventurous back then.now I sleep in motels.
To some people, a big ass "hunting knife hidden inside a jacket for the purpose of self defense" sounds a lot like "concealed weapon".

I know it sounds crazy as a wet raccoon, but that's how some people think.

For the record, I carry a Ka Bar with me but always leave it locked on the bike. If anyone did ask, it's for whacking up firewood and not for carving up bad guys.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote