Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 AM   #31
gstwowheel
slowrider

Oddometer: 15
snakes in desert campiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc4pd
So do you guys worry about rattlesnakes when camping out in the desert? Like at night when nature calls. Just wondering, and yeah I don't like snakes.
Snakes in the desert are a concern. But they are fairly uncommon. They like warm, but not too hot weather. They are out at night in the summer because daytime temps are high then. Use a flashlight and watch where you step. Never had any problem with snakes like getting in a sleeping bag, but with a tent and zipper rainlfly enterance should be fine. Also its usually too cool in winter for snakes in most places, though you might see them sunning on a warm rock farther south like in Southern Ariz.

Hiking most places in the desert in summer I might see a rattlesnake once in
four-five days of hiking. Also check boots before putting them on first thing
in the morning. Lore has it that scorpions can get in boots though this has never happened to me. Also if boots are in the enclosed tent (fly zipped) nothing will likely get in them.
gstwowheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #32
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
My wife and I have camped around the west (mostly arizona). I've never had a problem in National Forest or BLM lands. Find a quiet place and enjoy.

In this part of the world you need to be careful on the Indian Reservations. They have their own rules and "due process" does not apply. Check with the locals before you pitch your tent without a permit.

Have a great trip.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #33
gallahadion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
ADV Riders Directory??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1
If ADV Riders are running through Santa Fe/NM or northern New Mexico they're welcome to crash at my place. One empty bedromm plus a long couch. Only requirements are a tolerance for eccentric cats and no smoking inside. I make a mean Margarita. PM if close by. Room in the garage to work on bikes if I shift things around a bit...
I'm a newbie here and if anyone has already put this together then let me know but don't you guys/girls think it would be a good idea to put an ADVRiders Directory together for just such a purpose as this thread is revealing? I understand alot of people like the "stealth camping" but after a few days if you needed a shower and a warm meal it might make sense to contact fellow ADVRiders for some floor space. Whaddaya think?

http://www.massage4life.biz
gallahadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #34
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Don't forget about the "islands" or wide tree covered medians on the interstates. Often have dirt access roads through them. But, if you use them get hid if you are going to have a fire. Troopers tend to "hide" and do reports in these little hide-a-ways.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #35
peytonk
St. Joe

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahadion
I'm a newbie here and if anyone has already put this together then let me know but don't you guys/girls think it would be a good idea to put an ADVRiders Directory together for just such a purpose as this thread is revealing? I understand alot of people like the "stealth camping" but after a few days if you needed a shower and a warm meal it might make sense to contact fellow ADVRiders for some floor space. Whaddaya think?
Tent space list
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585
peytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #36
Rottweiler
I'm a Believer

Oddometer: 362
I always heard it called "boondocking". This may be of some help: http://www.boondocking.org/

In Arkansas, any land with a fence adequate for livestock is considered "posted". I was under the impression this was common among other states. And as a landowner I heartily approve. (Not that I or most people I know would likely prosecute anyone who was otherwise minding their manners.)

Real men wear boots. God is good.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western Civilization as it commits suicide." - Dr. Jerry Pournelle http://jerrypournelle.com
Rottweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #37
Walub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler
I always heard it called "boondocking". This may be of some help: http://www.boondocking.org/

In Arkansas, any land with a fence adequate for livestock is considered "posted". I was under the impression this was common among other states. And as a landowner I heartily approve. (Not that I or most people I know would likely prosecute anyone who was otherwise minding their manners.)
Thanks for that link. The site is good and has several links to sites like it that have all kinds of info. Does anyone know of a website that has a map of all the National Forest or BLM on it. Would be great if there was a big map of all the states that you could drill down on. MS Streets and Trips has National forests and grass lands but I don't think it shows BLM area's.
Walub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #38
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Seems a lot of folks here don't know about the Advrider "Tentspace" list.

Go to the "Upcoming" forum. The "Tentspace List" is a sticky on the first page. Something like 300 Advriders offering places to stay. Who could ask for anything more?

And how about putting your place on there?

Dick
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #39
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
Spent many nights sleeping on a picnic table in a rest stop. Never had any one hassle me either.
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #40
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,707
I have done many nights along side the road. Most small towns in the midwest have parks that allow camping. Most have water and some even have power hook-up. I have never been bothered.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:26 AM   #41
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb My requirements: A feeling I will never be discovered

I like to vagabond camp on my way to Vegas. Here are a couple of links to ride reports that talk about it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148418
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42810

My requirements are a feeling that I will never be discovered before I break camp the next morning. It's also nice to be able to go off road a little, you can get further out os sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
Most small towns in the midwest have parks that allow camping. Most have water and some even have power hook-up. I have never been bothered.
Yes! Traveling the state or county roads through small towns you often see camp spots for free. Nice alternative.

cavebiker screwed with this post 04-13-2008 at 08:20 AM
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #42
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 594
Sleep ZZZZZZZZ

I (we) have done the "side of the road" thing for years.
My SO likes to do the stealth thing.Ya know,Tent-sleepbag etc..and hide from drunks,cops and other ADV riders .

On the other hand when solo I'll sleep just about anywhere.
Picnic tables in rest areas,behind gas stations,motel parking lots,truck stops...etc.,etc. Just pull the tent fly over me..

Covered drive thru's when its raining.

This spring I had to put the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle" with my head on the tankbag cause I was to tired to go any farther and it was pouring.
joe a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #43
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Laugh put the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by awryders
On the other hand when solo I'll sleep just about anywhere.
Picnic tables in rest areas,behind gas stations,motel parking lots,truck stops...etc.,etc. Just pull the tent fly over me..

Covered drive thru's when its raining.

This spring I had to put the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle" with my head on the tankbag cause I was to tired to go any farther and it was pouring.
Yes again! This is great stuff. I also have done the wayside picnic table thing and in the grass next to the 24hr convenient store. I love the bike cover on and sleep "in the saddle" thing! Thats a new one, that way you dont have to be concerned about finding dry ground, yeah! On every trip I carry a plain tarp with line attached to the 4 corners. Always I tell myself that if the conditions get too bad or if Im just too tired I will pull over wherever the bike is safe from getting mowed down by a vehicle and chill out.

Quote:
Big Sky Country:
I had enough of the cold temps in Glacier Park and decided to make a run for Yellowstone. The pavement was dry but dark clouds were brewing in the hills and the wind was kicking up. I get out of the mountains and was hammering south just east of the continental divide. Montana sure is big sky country. While cruising along I can see the weather systems build and move. Sometimes I had to stop and wait for one to pass but this time the dark clouds were thick and wide and looking like they were coming right for me. I find a farm road that leads away from the highway and pull off.

I remember using this same technique when I was 16 while cruising solo to Yellowstone. After recently rereading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"I realize where I learned the technique from.

The storm with a lot of wind came and went. I stayed warm and dry while eating lunch in my little lean-to shelter. One rock I chose for a tie down was insufficient. In the middle of the storm I had to lash one end of the tarp to my boot. It was a little tense but it worked.

The storm passed and I was happy. The rest felt good and it was fun thinking about what I was doing and where I was going. I like having a loose destination and time schedule. Planning the route hour by hour while out in some new wilderness is just fun to me. I always think about the pioneers traveling on horse back and needing to find water and shelter. People think I’m nuts for liking this type of thing. I wonder where it comes from, genes or imagination or is imagination a product of genes? This type of activity just feels good.

All and all the stop cost me about an hour and twenty minutes. This is a long stop for me but worth it, I’m still totally dry.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #44
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Eh? more vagabond camping stories

This is fun. Some more vagabond camping stories:
Quote:
Mexico:
Now I got this calm cool heightened awareness setting in. Im here plenty early, Im still looking over my guide books and maps having all these wild ideas of what the places are going to be like over the routes I take. My mind and body are on full alert, Im so alive. My Spanish is ready, my documents are ready, Go.
The border is less than 20 miles away, I get up early Sunday morning and head to an out of the way crossing. I was the only person waiting to cross. I went with the flow, got all my stuff 1, 2, 3 and was on my way. Sweet. ... I'm in Mexico!

I made Ciudad Victoria in no time, nice city but it was early and I wanted to check out the eco- forest reserve. Plus I thought I would try to camp the first night, thinking it will add to the adventure.

The trail was hardly noticeable from the road but I've been practicing looking for camping spots like this ever since I can remember. The trail ended at this old corral. It looked like a good spot to camp and was. That evening and the next morning was filled with loud weird sounds. Waking up here was so cool, Espresso coffee, the perfect camp spot, screeching exotic birds, the feeling I was in a foreign land. I had a tightness in my throat thinking about where I was and what I'm about to do, Yeah!

Photo--My First night in Mexico down a dirt path in the heart of the Tropic of Cancer, Eco-Forest Reserve.

Obviously I didn't know how available water was going to be in Mexico.

Getting Lost in Mexico:
I started a zigzag pattern the second day having fun with the maps. The further inland I went the cooler the landscape. Map reading and navigation is everything. Towns mostly have new names and roads are marked as to what town is down it. Way way cool! This IS the adventure I 'm looking for but at the same time I'm thinking, what the hell am I doing? While checking out the mountains I didn't want to get to close to Mexico City. I've read stories from south of the border biker about the heavy traffic in the City and I don’t want any of it.

This road should have taken me to the other side of this ridge that was plainly visible while driving along. Then it should have led to a road toward the coast. Beautiful ride, I ended up in some small village way up. It seemed like the village was having a celebration in there beautiful town square. I found out later it was just a normal Monday. I’m really liking life.

I was totally lost in the Mountains for over a day. The road (or trail) was this steep and steeper. It seemed like for hours I was standing on my pegs and spitting rocks out with my rear tire as I was goosing it to keep my balance. All three maps I had showed a connection between two highways. One map even showed a red line thinking a state highway. There was none and 50% of the towns listed are either not there or the names have changed. I did find some beautiful Mexican villages on my way to nowhere and had a great time.

In the mountains along the road there didn't seem like there was much unused flat land open for camping. The little villages I came through had zero tourism and the motels were not obvious and looked WAY primitive even to me. That night I camped on a Mexican family’s driveway, with their permission. They were unreal friendly people. The Man of the house kept telling me he has never met an American before and he wants his sons and daughter to meet me, or I think that's what he was saying.

The kids hung out with me all morning. After I used up all the Espanol I knew they just had a ball watching me pack up my gear. Super pleasant and well mannered kids.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:47 AM   #45
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Wicked Vagabond camping stories:

More fun! Vagabond camping stories:
Quote:
At Champoton I headed south on 261 to 186 east. From the gulf of Mexico to the Caribbean, 186 is a newly paved road but it had a lot of dips to the point where I had to slow it down to under 60 MPH so as not to bottom out, weird.

I was somewhere between the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, in the jungle. It was hard to find a comfortable place to camp. Things were looking eerie. The Jungle is dark and dense right up to the edge of the road. Wherever you see a spot to pull over it’s loaded up with garbage and crap probably left over from workers waiting to get picked up after work or who knows. I finally saw some paths leading off into some type of orchard. I was desperate for a camp spot, it was getting late.

The ground was wet and spongy like thick weavings of moist plants. I’m thinking about sneaks. I was glad to get the tent up, get inside and cool down. This is the jungle…...