Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #61
Seeker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahadion
I understand alot of people like the "stealth camping" but after a few days if you needed a shower and a warm meal
You can always stop by a truck stop to take a shower. Pricing is from moderate to expensive, but they provide clean showers, soap, and towels.
When you're feeling ripe, it always feels like money well spent!

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #62
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
Not just National Forests...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G
Generally allow camping anywhere for up to two weeks, check their website http://www.fs.fed.us/ to make sure. Western states have alot of national forest land, so you should be able to plan a decent route through.
There are also oodles of other public land you can park your gypsy wagon on, like State land, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land, Federal Power Reserve land (like around power generating dams). It's endless out here in the West! Wyoming is over 50% public land. The one major exception are the National Parks like Jellystone and Grand Teton, etc. - you must camp in developed CG's only or they'll roust yer butt in the middle of the night. Don't ask how I know this .....

The best indicator of having found an OK place to pull off is some indication that someone else was there before you, like a firepit or trail. You won't be the first one to have this idea ya know..... Here are a couple of shots from last year, just doing what you propose, great spots and very peaceful.

Long day, so I had to pitch camp by the headlight of the RT on Lolo Pass!

Next AM:

Best camp of the summer, just off the road on a whim just before the sun went down:

Next AM, best coffee ever!

Devil's Tower National Monument, near the Black Hills, is a GORGEOUS place. I just happened to be there during a Boy Scout Jamboree . About half a gallon of Crown Royal in my guts allowed me to sleep peacefully even with all the little hooligans charging around all night. Actually, they were great fun, I was a scout many years ago and that led to my love of camping. The kiddies loved the idea of camping off the motorcycle, so I may have inspired some future AdvRiders!

You'll have a blast, man! If your route leads you through Wyoming PM me and I can point out some great spots!

Doug
Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #63
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker
Vagabond camping, sometimes you don’t have a choice except not go there.
Thanks for reposting that, Cavebiker!!!

Your ride report to Mexico is what brought me to this site in the first place.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #64
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
I know to some people US Forest/BLM/National Park/State Park is all the same thing. I would advise not trying to stealth camp in a National Park, unless you have a really good hiding spot and will out by dawn. The National Park Rangers will probably give you some kind of citation/fine for not camping in a designated spot.
Most cops/rangers/patrol guys don't like to get out of their vehicles. Find a spot they cant drive to or see from the road.

Some people spoke of "sleeping in the grass next to a 24 hour convienance store". That sounds like a bad idea. Especially if the store sells beer. You will have all kinds of scumbags coming there in the middle of the night.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #65
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho
I know to some people US Forest/BLM/National Park/State Park is all the same thing. I would advise not trying to stealth camp in a National Park, unless you have a really good hiding spot and will out by dawn. The National Park Rangers will probably give you some kind of citation/fine for not camping in a designated spot.

You can usually camp most anywhere in a National Park BUT must do so a certain distance away from any road, trail or water source. you can not just pull over and camp beside the road. this means you park then hike a couple hundred yards away from the vehicle. not what many might want to do.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #66
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,737
Back during the college days, I'd rat hole money during the school year for travelling during the summer. I'd finish exams, have the car loaded down and leave town.

I usually would be gone travelling for the entire summer, camping, backpacking and gathering life experiences. A vagabond's dream indeed. Nowhere to be, no destination, just get in the car and drive.

One of the more sleuthy moves I've done in the past involved "Sink Baths" at the McDonald's in Moab after a few days of camping. All of that Moab red dirt sure makes for a funny site in the bathroom.

We also used to sneak into the hot tub at the Howard Johnson's to rinse off the grime at times.

Then in Durango on the west side of town down Hwy 160 a bit, I remember a KOA type place with one of those combination locks on the shower. On more than one occasion I would hang outside of the mens showers with towel and soap in hand to walk in just as someone else was walking out.

Showers on the sly.

Ahh, those were indeed the Salad Days.

Dirty
Old 01-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #67
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Wink Mexico & Belize, 5 Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker
Thanks for reposting that, Cavebiker!!!

Your ride report to Mexico is what brought me to this site in the first place.
Thanks a ton man, that’s huge! This site is my 1st intro into cyber community, I feel super fortunate also to have run across it. After 1st reading StriningViking’s report of riding through Mexico, Guatemala and Belize I had to do it. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51435 Way cool!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net

cavebiker screwed with this post 04-18-2008 at 06:45 PM
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #68
Bike-N-Hike
'03 F650GSD, '06 AN650AK6

Oddometer: 88
Camping on the side of the road

I've done this for years.
I never choose posted land!
I never build fires!
I cover my bike with a dark cover if visible from road.
I don't set up the tent until near dark.
I leave at first light if visible from the road.

Waiting until dark to find a site has led me to camping
in someones back yard a few times. I once camped
20 feet from a 100 foot bluff that I had no idea was
there because I arrived in the dark.

I camp this way for months, New York State was the
hardest, everything is posted. Even Maine is starting
to go that route. All those woods and all those signs.
"Touratech Tank Bag"with Garmin Oregon 450T
'06, Suzuki, Burgman 650 Exec, ABS, 34K Miles
Bike-N-Hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #69
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 825
done a bunch of "bandit" camping.
i try to get myself fed beforehand so that there's minimal camping to be done, just find a place, throw up the bivvy and hit the hay. at dark.

sometimes i'll find a perfect place but too early in the afternoon, so i'll go do laundry, buy food or take care of other travel buisness and come back at nightfall.

rural cemeteries are great camping if you dont mind the ghosts. lots of them have water and its usually pretty quiet. be respectful!

wash up in the river! eat groceries! travel further!
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #70
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberdave
rural cemeteries are great camping if you dont mind the ghosts. lots of them have water and its usually pretty quiet. be respectful!

No kidding! I've even tried golf courses, but had the ferking sprinklers come on at night............. Ruins your sleep, bad. No ghosts, good.

Doug
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #71
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 825
not kidding!

one other thing i like to do- as soon as i get up, if theres any doubt as to possible hassle, i put everything away and move on. better to make that cup of coffee a mile down the road, clear and free.

one other thing- ive got a dark bike cover, and a dark colored tent, not camo or anything "incriminating"

ie- stealthy, but if confronted its not as though i look like i am hiding or being sneaky about it.
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #72
acupuncture4u
Freedom by knobbies

Oddometer: 1,372
I'm gonna 2nd the cammo tarp idea. Works quite well... Go big, n comfy.

How is your Heart Health
acupuncture4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 AM   #73
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I thought about this a bit over time... and support what bomberdave said.

camo might very well be "less seen", BUT when seen on private property or other such places might appear like a deliberate attempt at hiding something which in turn will attract attention. kind of like whispering... everybody tries to listen. but speaking normally doesn't attract any attention unless certain key words are spoken. I obviously am not going to use "rescue" yellow or anything remotely close, but I do have a indiscriminant gray tarp and tent which has worked well. on the flip side, I have to agree that in deep woods or scarcely populated and other such areas then the camo would probably be best, I'm thinking more in lightly populated areas that gray is. it's just a color that none of us pay attention to.

otoh... wth, whatever floats ones boat. as long as they use some type of strategy with it that is fitting.

KoolBreeze screwed with this post 01-26-2007 at 05:28 AM
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #74
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Renegade camping is the only way to camp. Every trip I take anywhere involves camping on the sly; and although I have had several cops stop to check on me none has ever made me move or even ID'd me. They just made sure I was still breathing and then on their way.

Once, near Hot Springs VA, I caught a few hours sleep under and just behind a semi trailer's dual wheels. Middle of the night it started up and drove away. No danger to me as it had been backed in to the parking space and could only pull straight forward to get out. I was too tired to move and a sheriff's deputy from whatever county Hot Springs is in came by not too long after. He roused me, but gave me specific directions to a nearby school which had a covered pavilion that I could sleep on. He was only concerned, he said, because it was suppossed to start raining soon and he didn't want to see me get soaked. Sure enough, it rained the rest of that night but I was warm and dry on top of a covered picnic table thanks to him. He even gave me his name, which I sadly forget now, and told me if any one else tried to roust me to tell them that he had checked on me and I was okay. Nice guy.

Here's a story of my trip out west on 2005 which was 8 days of nothing but illegal camping: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193623

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #75
RoughRider
elderly windbreaker

Oddometer: 122

RoughRider is offline   Reply With Quote