Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #76
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker
You can always stop by a truck stop to take a shower. Pricing is from moderate to expensive, but they provide clean showers, soap, and towels.
When you're feeling ripe, it always feels like money well spent!

:
Also if you have a YMCA membership don't forget to take your card with you when travelling in the USA....

Hint;
most Y's will give you a free trial pass......if you are in a different town every day.........
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #77
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
This just looks like it would add a element of excitment to the ride. No known stopping location. Just ride till you are tired.........look around find a location...........slip in and camp for the night.

I assure you if I were doing a ton of miles and trying to make a destination I'd not waste time with pay camp spots. I'd sneak in someplace, pitch the tent, sleep, and leave as soon as I woke.

When working construction on the road I took several soaks in hotel pools when the day was done and I had a long drive home.
G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #78
Walub OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstromer
This just looks like it would add a element of excitment to the ride. No known stopping location. Just ride till you are tired.........look around find a location...........slip in and camp for the night.

This is exactaly what I was thinking. Add a little more adventure to the trip. I have also decided not to buy a gps for the simple reason that I at least want a chance to get lost. I only have 3 weeks left before I leave I am really looking forward to it. Hope it warms up though.
Walub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #79
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walub
This is exactaly what I was thinking. Add a little more adventure to the trip. I have also decided not to buy a gps for the simple reason that I at least want a chance to get lost. I only have 3 weeks left before I leave I am really looking forward to it. Hope it warms up though.
YOu mean you cant get lost if you have a GPS? I sure wish some one would have told me that. I got lost going from Estevan to Regina when I took a wrong turn and ended up on a 50 mile long gravel road in the middle of no where. Actually, I am gald I did though. The scenery was beautiful.
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #80
Knobbie
Ex Teams

Oddometer: 645
In small towns you can usually go out behind a church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walub
I am planning a trip from Winnipeg Manitoba to Las Vegas in spring. I have six days to get there so I want to do a little exploring and take my time. I thought in the spirit of adventure and to save a little money I would try to camp not in campgrounds but just off the road in a hidden area. An hour before dark I would start looking for a little side road that will get me away from the main road. Find a small hill/bush/tree to hide my small tent and bike behind. I could then fire up my stove make supper and have a good sleep. I know technically this is not allowed and there could be some trespassing involved but I would not be hearting anyone and would clear out at first light. Has anyone had experiences camping this way? I would love to see some pictures. Is this possible? Or should I just abandon my foolhardy plan. Any advice/criticism/experiences would be appreciated.
Knobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #81
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
You might like to take a dark brown camping tarp with you. Helpful to cover bike and any reflective mat'l.
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #82
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Weather permitting and if one other detail works out to the good I will do a test ride with this goal in mind. I will take pics of the areas and try to camp for at least one night, idealy two, in a stealth mode. One night I'd like to do a "urban" test like some hidden place in the middle of a small town. The next night I'll use a farm setting, but you know its all about just finding the ideal area and making do. So............look for it in ride reports next Sunday or Monday night.

(aunt had massive stroke today and if she dies withing 48 hours like they think then my ride this weekend will not happen)

G.Gordon screwed with this post 04-08-2007 at 08:56 PM
G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #83
Dirty Harry
Coffee Addict

Oddometer: 373
Under the stars(and moon) in utah...

Glen canyon, AZ...

Breakfast at lake mead...
2001 DR650 -sold
2005 DR650 -

DR's do it in the dirt...
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #84
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Aerostich Book

Check this little book out. They use to give it away if you purchase a $50 order, if not it's only $5. Worth the Money! He cover Authorized and Unauthorized camping.

Aerostich Lightweight Touring Book #5800

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...k-p-16795.html
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #85
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,207
I've traveled by motorcycle this way all my life, just picking out a secluded spot to hide the tent and go to sleep. Never had any trouble. There's nothing like listening to the whisper of a cottonwood tree as you drift off to sleep somewhere out west under big skies.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #86
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
.... Never had any trouble. There's nothing like listening to the whisper of a cottonwood tree as you drift off to sleep ....
... and the sound of Jethro racking his pump shotgun as he screams "Get off my land!!"

I love stealth camping as well... only had trouble once... had to move camp at 2am.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #87
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout
... and the sound of Jethro racking his pump shotgun as he screams "Get off my land!!"

I love stealth camping as well... only had trouble once... had to move camp at 2am.
You had bad luck. I've been caught before, but it was by someone amongst the 99% of all people who are friendly.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #88
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat
Check this little book out. They use to give it away if you purchase a $50 order, if not it's only $5. Worth the Money! He cover Authorized and Unauthorized camping.

I always take a couple of these books with me on the road and sign them and pass them along to another rider who I instruct to do the same thing. I wonder if I will ever get one of them back. It started in Dawson City when a guy gave me one. I signed and dated it just as he had done and passed it along to another rider on the road.
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #89
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat

There's definitely some good info in there, but there's also some bogus stuff. For instance, they list a website that shows free camping places all over the country. When I checked it, over 90% of the free "campsites" were Wal-Mart parking lots that allow RVers to park there overnight. For the most part though, it's a neat little book.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #90
klxrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
come through north dakota into montana down through idaho then utah then a short jaunt through nv to vegas

i live in southern idaho and places to camp are plentiful through most every where i just mentioned and i usualy sneeky camp with full sized pickup so a bike and tent should be no issue
klxrdr is offline   Reply With Quote