Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #121
dilrod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis
I've travelled all over the US on bikes and can count the number of times I've paid to stay in a campground on my hands. No, make that one hand. The whole key is finding your place just before dark. The idea is to find a place that becomes invisible at nightfall--those places are hard as hell to find after nightfall. 99% of the time no one says anything. Occassionally if you're lazy in the morning, someone will stop by. So long as you're not camped in a planted field, they usually inquire what you're doing there and leave you be. The get-out-of-jail-free excuse is that you were hoping to get to such and such a city but were getting really tired and started to nod off, figured you'd throw up the tent for a couple hours shut eye, and hey? It's morning? Usually, though, it's a non-issue.

I usually prefer camping rough because it's quiet and I enjoy the solitude, and the ground is nice and soft if you don't have to camp on some stupid tent site. The more you do it the easier you'll find spots... oh, and don't be a wienie about riding your street bike through fields. As long as you go slow and it isn't muddy/wet you can ride up to all sorts of nice camp spots.

-Luke
Reading those other threads, I was beginning to despair that there was no one out there who does what I do on the road. (Walmart etc.--I can't believe it!) So it is very refreshing to come across someone who knows how to travel and camp on the road while travelling on a motorcycle. Maybe I'll run into you someday.
dilrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #122
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,503
:ymca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha_Monkey
I've read your reports - likewise. Let's make it happen sometime.

[/hijack]

Johnny

:ymca

Just sayin'..
Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #123
guesswork
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Theirs Stealth and then their is STEALTH..

Short version, having overnighted in more places than i can remember, School yards, Churches, Cemetaries,Industrial parks, picnic tables, etc; The one for the books was this, Pouring down rain and about 40 degrees comming into
down town New Orleans after dark. I stopped to get out of the rain in front of a large Federal Building. Turns out to be the Court House. Tried the door and its open. Well why not, steped in and down the hall what was some kind od reception area to an office. A nice warm radiator. Well I spread out my bed roll and chashed. Awoke late and people were everyware. i gathered my stuff and headed out. Thats when the story gets interesting, but for another day. Helmet thief, Burnt pistons,and Good Semaritains...
guesswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #124
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
Cemeteries? No way in hell I could that, every movie I ever saw about zombies and the walking dead would replay in my head all night long without the confort of popcorn, milkduds and twizzlers, no way! I'm still getting over spending the night behind a funeral home when high winds, downpour and lightinig forced me to stop. I hung a tarp between a shed and a picnic table for shelter. Couldnt sleep in that weather anyway but I couldnt help glance at the basement door thinking what if one of those supposedly or alleged dead ones died a horrible death and is looking for revenge, makes the colt 45 kind of useless. Cemeteries? never.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #125
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
It's an individual decision, for sure, and there's no denying that being armed can complicate a situation where you're dealing with landowners or LEO's'. I respect if someone feels they don't need to go armed when they ride.

And, the flip side is that your life is worth something, and for some of us returning home to our families is paramount, and being unarmed on the highway poses some risks too. I was mugged and severely beaten in a rest stop on my 20th birthday, in broad daylight. I still carry pins in my joints from that attack, which was unexpected and unprovoked. Till you live through the terror and helplessness of such an event, no one can really convince you of the old addage of "better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Carrying concealed (I'm a permit holder in 32 states), there's no reason for anyone to ever know I'm armed unless I'm posed with life-threatening violence, or in the few states where I'm legally bound to notify a police during an encounter. It's a non-issue, until it becomes an issue and by that time you can't go and arm yourself if you don't have a gun. I liken it to carrying a fire extinguisher. It's not paranoia, it's preparedness and if you choose to go without, you accept that when the fire happens you'll have to find other ways of coping.

The thing I know from my job as an addict counselor, is that meth and violence are getting into areas where they have NEVER been before in alarming numbers, and that means some very remote and rural places....it's very much an epidemic. Drug runners and meth-addicts are no one you want to meet in the middle of nowhere, unarmed, and alone. Meth makes you, literally, a zombie. You feel nothing, no consequences, no remorse, meth addicts are single-minded and can be very dangerous.

It's something to think about. I'd love to live in a world where I saw the bad things coming, or knew that where I was didn't have bad people roaming around in it. Sorry to say, I have no such power so I choose to be prepared even if it means some complication. Carrying a gun should never be comfortable, it should be comforting, as Tom Gresham likes to say.
I was going to add that in my training, avoiding a stuation was as critical as knowing how to use a firearm. But you have made a good point about meth users ect. An ounce of prevention as they say. I guess in the end, it's your call.
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #126
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio
Cemeteries? No way in hell I could that, every movie I ever saw about zombies and the walking dead would replay in my head all night long without the confort of popcorn, milkduds and twizzlers, no way!
Cemeteries are peaceful places. You need to get over that.

Here's another cemetery campsite to help you.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #127
indianscout
Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Cemeteries are peaceful places. You need to get over that.

Here's another cemetery campsite to help you.

Jamie
Cool picture Jamie!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #128
napalm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
It's an individual decision, for sure, and there's no denying that being armed can complicate a situation where you're dealing with landowners or LEO's'. I respect if someone feels they don't need to go armed when they ride.

Damn skippy.

The real question is: 9mm vs .45?

Pie.
napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:00 AM   #129
Black06LJ
ZRX1200R Thrasher

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm
I'll take the middle ground... 10mm (.40S&W's big brother)!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #130
indianscout
Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm
Damn skippy.

Pie.
A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45
Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #131
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
The camping in a cemetary idea is intruguing, we have lots of cemetaries around here. The problem is that most in rural areas are very small, and very open and at times on fairly major roads. And how to you 'be respectful' when some poeple would think your presence is disrespectful?

Just askin'.... The wife and I like zombies... so we're not worried about that ;-)
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #132
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0
The camping in a cemetary idea is intruguing, we have lots of cemetaries around here. The problem is that most in rural areas are very small, and very open and at times on fairly major roads.
It's cemetery.

The very open and major roads are issues. The cemeteries where I choose to sleep are almost always tucked away in the woods, often on a little gravel road. Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to find places like that. It's always when I just bump into them. Tiny cemeteries rarely show up on maps or are included in GPS POIs.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #133
humvee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
I came upon a cemetery in the middle of no-where in Northern Ontario. Was riding gravel roads for 45 minutes or so and saw a iron-gate area surrounding it. I walked through it a while to check the dates and names. It was kinda freaky. I believe there once was a town nearby, but was abandoned when the pulled up the railroad.

I didn't stay the night
Old 04-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #134
Laughingdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout
A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45
If you can't hit with a .45, you probably wouldn't have hit with a .22 either. My wife is 5'4",120#, and puts in sub-2" groups at 7 yards shooting one handed with a 1911. If you can't do the same two handed, give up the gun and buy a stun gun......or just learn to shoot.
Laughingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #135
indianscout
Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingdawg
If you can't hit with a .45, you probably wouldn't have hit with a .22 either. My wife is 5'4",120#, and puts in sub-2" groups at 7 yards shooting one handed with a 1911. If you can't do the same two handed, give up the gun and buy a stun gun......or just learn to shoot.
I think you missed the point.