Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #31
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Sep 1 may have started out COLD but after a warm-up stop in Sun Valley the weather warmed up nicely as we crossed the lava beds. But there was some road construction north of Twin Falls and we hit some sharp bridge transitions pretty hard.

We stopped for lunch in Jackpot, NV and tried to finance the trip from the slots.... Between Jackpot and Wells the road is wide open but when we got up above 70-80mph there was a vibration.....thought maybe I lost a wheel weight in the road cont. kept it around 70 and was OK

In Wells I noticed, upon closer inspection, that I had NOT lost a weight but rather had a small knot it the tire..... No bike dealers between here and Salt Lake so we kepp it around 70 and hit the Bonneville Speedway anyhow.....so much for a top speed test

We got to what I thought was the closest shop, Honda dealer in Tooele,UT 45 min after closing.......but 2 guys were still there and sypathised with us enough to sell a tire even found a "real" air hose behind the gas station across the street! I carry a small emergency one but prefer "shop" air.

So far that's 3 tire changes but no flats
Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:18 AM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #32
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelgallan
WOOHOO dumpster tires!!!

u rawk!!!
I knew I had a pic of that somewhere.....it was in my phone....camera must have been locked in the trunk under the tire.

Up to this point of the trip the old bike was running great . I'll try to post some more tonight after work...on 2nd shift today.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #33
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

We spent Fri night in the Salt Lake City area and saw that the forcast was for scattered storms and showers across southern Utah for the next several days. I plotted out several route options and after watching TWC Sat am decided that our best shot at staying dry would be to start the day with an Interstate run down I-15 to Zion NP then make our way back north on back roads.

This old bike's carbs don't like to be above 9,000 ft but I've been above 12,000 ft with it and am able to make headway. Our el. here in SC is around 500 ft and most of my riding on the east coast is below 4,000 ft with an occasional jump to over 6,000 ft.

I say that to say this.....the bike began to fuss heading down I-15 and it wasn't the typical high alt. stuff.....it did seem to get worse the farther we got into a gas run. I decided that with gravity feed fuel system maybe the filters were just clogging....logically the more gas in the tank the more fuel pressure and below half a tank it may be like that big Igloo cooler that starts to slow to a trickle as it gets low.

We stopped in Beaver, UT went to NAPA and changed fuel filters, ate lunch and got back on the hwy with the old pig runnin' like new again.

I had wanted to do a little zig-zag through the Dixie National Forest/Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument, but there was a big black storm hanging over the top of that whole mtn range.

Down in Zion, NP the temps were climbing up over 100f and being Sat of Labor Day weekend the crowds had shown up in force.....although the Kolob Canyon area just off of I-15 was near empty.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:20 AM
Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #34
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

After passing through Zion we turned north on 89 and boy can the weather and the scenery sure change quick! As we travelled north and gained alt. the temp dropped 50 degrees or more! We came up behind a Buell Uly pulling off on a dirt road.....I've been lusting after that bike since it's intro so I noticed it right away and envied his possible rte into the Staircase-Escalante area.........it then soon looked like we would get wet so we stopped to pull out the Frogg Toggs and saw the Black Buell pass on by.....I didn't feel quite as envious anymore

Turns out that it was ADVrider iDave from VA riding his Arizona "internet buy" back east......we actually met him later in the trip and talked while stuck in a traffic jam in Little Rock, AR! http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...165811&page=14

We stopped between the arch/tunnels in Red Canyon to take off rain gear then headed into Bryce Canyon NP......rode to the top rim and the wind chill had to be below freezing. then we decided to spend the night in the town of Tropic just below the park.....and it was in the 60s...walked back and forth to the laundrymat in shorts and flip flops.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:23 AM
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #35
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

jumping ahead to the Little Rock traffic jam .....this is what iDave posted in his report.....didn't remember all the facts of our trip correctly.....but I'm impressed that he remembered as much as he did!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I continued east on I-40. After a few miles, I noticed a vintage Yamaha XS1100 coming up on my left, riding two up. They passed me at a pretty good clip. I sped up to keep pace. I was pacing them at 84 GPS MPH, a speed just a touch too fast for my drivers license. I backed off, disappointed that I would have to ride this next stretch of highway solo.

As soon as I backed out of the throttle, the Yamaha also backed out a bit. I settled in behind them as we crusied in the 78 mph range. For the next 50 miles or so, I just paced off the Yamaha. They'd make a pass, and I'd follow suit. After 40 minutes or so, I decided to take the lead and let them follow.

It's funny the stuff that goes through one's head sometimes. I was happy to be riding with someone. I didn't want them to think I was up to no good, like stalking, or anything. I was just riding along. That's why I made the pass. I was hoping they wouold follow me down the highway. They did.

Before long, we started getting close to Little Rock, AR, just in time for rush hour traffic, and road construction. All lanes were forced into one. We were riding about 10MPH for several minutes. I could tell the guy on the Yamaha wanted to pull up alongside and say something. My iPod was cranking, so as soon as he pulled up along side me, I had to motion that I couldn't hear him. This went on for several miles.

Finally, traffic stopped completely, and I was able to reach inside my jacket and turn off the iPod. The guy rolls up, and mentions the "ADV" sticker on the back of my helmet, and asks if I ever post here. I said occasionally, although the truth is, I'm more comfortable with the fellow misfits on ADVRider than any other site. He said he's lurked here but never posted. He then mentions they are just returning from an 11000 mile trip across America, including Alaska. Traffic starts rolling again, and they are low on gas, so they exited. It turns out the guy is Kevin, and his better half is Lori. Kevin goes by KNYBanjo here on ADVRider. It was a pleasure rolling up I-40 with the two of them. Encounters like this, though brief, cement relationships. One day I hope to ride with you again Kevin and Lori. Until then, I hope to read a report about your trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...165811&page=12

Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #36
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Sunday morning is a real beauty and hwy 12 in Utah was/is an awesome ride! Kodachrome basin the Grand Staircase, over the mtn then down to Escalante!! I was having too much fun riding to even care about stopping to take pics Then east on the 24 across Capitol Reef Nat'l monument to Hanksville.....that's where we met this guy from NM on a '72 Moto Guzzi that looked like brand new! He had been to a Guzzi rally and was headed home the gas station is a cave carved into the rock....even the inside walls.....pretty cool.

My Dad's cousin used to sell Guzzi's and Nortons and Ducatis just north of Brainerd,MN back in the 70's. Dad had a couple of Guzzis himself and I rode his '75 750T some when I was a teenager......so I think it's kinda cool when I see an old Dago bike out on the road.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:25 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #37
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

The Guzzi went south on 95 (probably more scenic) we continued on 24 up to I-70 then came back down 128 along the Colorado River into Moab. Did a quick loop through Arches NP then decided to head south and escape the Holiday crowds.

As we left the desert in Moab and climbed up into abajo mtns to Monticello the temps took another dive...time for jackets and gas and who do we see but our friend on the Guzzi......seems he was having some tire trouble of his own. His rear tire had worn out faster than anticipated and was showing cords....He already had a hotel and had made some phone calls to try and line one up.
Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:27 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #38
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Idaho turns out to be the biggest suprise of the trip......shhh don't tell anyone.......people don't seem to talk much about it but what a beautiful state and we met only good people!

Man don't mention that to much...K...Idaho is a Greaaat place...keep it quite and come on back and visit. DSing is very popular here every weekend you will see groups of 2 to 7 going some place.

I'm really enjoying your ride, how is the butts holding up? numb yet
This is where my wife's back side is starting to cause her some grief.....She would have been happy with a 2 wk trip I think.....I was actually settling in and feeling better as the trip went on.....1st week was more uncomforable than the 3rd one for me.

I would love to dual sport in Idaho someday!! Keep the trails open till I get back would ya.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #39
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Labor Day

We spent the night in Blanding and headed down to Monument Valley. The front tire needed a few pounds of air this am......I'll be keeping an eye on that.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:29 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #40
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
brilliant pics and a great report
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #41
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Then back towards 4 Corners on 160.....without even a thought about what happened to Kurt Russel in the movie Breakdown

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:30 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #42
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Leaving Four Corners heading to Mesa Verde NP we stopped for lunch in Cortez, CO and asked another couple on a bike how things were going for them........they had come for the Four Corners Rally (we knew nothing of it) that was cancelled, but the promoters never told anyone so lots of riders left some stayed...another town let vendors set up at the last min.

We had hoped to head thru Durango and then head towards Taos, NM but the weather looked BAD from atop the mesa....heard tell of hail and thunderstorms along that whole mtn range. We talked about toughing it out or heading back thru Shiprock then south on 550. We wimped out again and followed the sunshine.

The NM portion of 550 cuts across high plains inc the continental divide, but it's not too exciting....made me think of what it must of been like to be a "high plains drifter" The map did show some nice roads cutting across the mtns thru Los Alamos but storms were hanging there as well.

We managed to stay dry heading straight down to I-25 then back up to Santa Fe for the night.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 09:32 AM
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #43
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Tuesday Sep 5 '06

I let Mrs sleep in while I go looking for a parts store to do an oil change (last one was at my dad's in MN) and some more muffler bandage to "tighten up" the broken header.

Back to MT and the 1st tire change......there was some rough gravel heading up past Flathead Lake and we broke/lost the exhaust mounting bolt and recracked the pipe.......yeah that's right I had broken it just before the trip, below is the pic of the temporary repair I made then....same as what's on it now.....I did have it welded before the trip and the weld is good ..it broke along side it.

The old bike is just not running well here either sputtering around and trying to guess if it's bad gas/water, vacuum leak/timing mech, electrical (I'd say 95% of the trouble I've had with this bike has been electrical)

So I hoped for the easiest fix and added some fuel treatment and cleaned the air filter hoping for the best.

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 08:26 PM
Old 12-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #44
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 205
Great thread. Keep it up. Enjoying it.
Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #45
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Our plan for the day was to just hang out and see the sights in and around Santa Fe. I understand that it's mandatory to go down to the old city center/park and trade some cash to the natives for a few shiny things Then eat some chips and salsa from a balcony overlooking the square.

We decide to take a ride up to Taos.....partially because I want to open the bike up out on the hwy and see if it will straighten itself out.....well it seems to run fine on the hwy but still sputters about in traffic....then I realize that that the low spots in the area are 7,000ft el. so hopefully it will get better as we head east.

Guess what?.......the Taos area looks to be covered up with storms again...so....we wimp out again and ride back into Santa Fe and fulfill some more tourist duties......Hot peppers anyone?:grinner

Rather than spend another night here we decide to ride down the Tuqoise Trail #14 and head toward Santa Rosa or Tucumcari. As we head south the bike seems to be getting back to it's normal self again but not long after we hit I-40 it's easy to see that we are headed right into the jaws of a wicked looking storm It looked clear to the south so I opted to take US 285 to Vaughn....the sun was setting as we refueled there, and it became obviuos that the storm was moving south directly at us.....now my wife says she had a dream about a tornado last night and she's all freaked-outwe talk with a trucker that has just come across from clovis on hwy 60 with an oversized load and didn't hit any rain, had been watching the storm himself. short story longer....the fireworks are AWESOME, wife can't stand to watch...too skeered ....well we make it across the mesa...110mi of cattle...thankfully no deer....and dry once again

Attached Images

knybanjo screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 08:28 PM