User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #136
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
One cool thing about the Zumo is that if you're following a route and go through a tunnel, the display continues to update using your tunnel entry speed. If the road through the tunnel is twisty, the position indicator follows the route line on the map.

If the tunnel traffic stalls (like it can be counted on to do in Boston), the Zumo will finally throw up the "lost satellite reception" screen when your predicted egress fails to happen at the predicted time.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #137
motoshane
I really don't care!

Oddometer: 116
FYI!! Hope this is not 205. I got an email back from Autocom UK. The Autocom Zumo cable part 1299 supports full stereo with mic on the current Autocoms, (Super Pro Avi, and the plus series) in the Aux 2 MP3 phone jack. The 1299 cable will also support mono with mic on the older Autocoms in the phone jack. They expect Top Gear, the Autocom USA importer to have the 1299 cable this month.

motoshane
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #138
Tollster
Jammer Jay

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Not at all, the intercom systems were here first, and the interfaces for stereo, cell etc. are not new or rocket science. Garmin ignored the fact that many of us want to do more than let the GPS, which doesn't have an interface for two way radio, radar detectors or other audio sources, be the center of our system.

From a techy standpoint, by mixing all of the audio outputs into one stereo output, they have effectively put themselves in the center of the equation, but not signed up to supporting the other requirements.

Once tunes, GPS and cell audio are mixed on one channel, how would anyone easily split it out again to prioritize traffic and support other interfaces?
Why not have more than one channel for selected devices, with user choice of setting priorities in a hyarchy fashion. Like scan mode?
If you haven't crashed, you're not riding to potential!.
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #139
Texas42
Native Texan

Oddometer: 90
Starcom1 has a cable in test

I received an email from Techstar the maker of Starcom1 that they have a cable in test for the Zumo and hopefully it will be available soon. Thank you Techstar and Laura Metcalf.

Yes Garmin just ignored the major users of their GPS's hoping that they could get the novice part of the market with the Zumo.
2005 Triumph Sprint ST (traded)
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS
http://www.twtex.com
Don't Panic! Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
Texas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #140
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Yes Garmin just ignored the major users of their GPS's hoping that they could get the novice part of the market with the Zumo.
A bit harsh, I'm prepared to give them a few weeks yet.

However....
.... this rumoured big firmware update at end of January needs to deliver most of the additional features discussed. One or two token gesture features could create quite a negative ground swell.

BurnieM screwed with this post 01-02-2007 at 10:47 PM
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #141
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I received an email from Techstar the maker of Starcom1 that they have a cable in test for the Zumo and hopefully it will be available soon. Thank you Techstar and Laura Metcalf.

That's good news, please keep us posted.
PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #142
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster
Why not have more than one channel for selected devices, with user choice of setting priorities in a hyarchy fashion. Like scan mode?
That is how most of use our intercoms. I must admit that I like having fewer cables, but I like the flexibility of configuring things the way I want more. I use a Mixit to bring in my radar detector via the noise gated input, just for that reason, it allows me to hear the alert without quenching my tunes, yet another priority option.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #143
motoshane
I really don't care!

FYI. I added a Ground Loop Isolator from Radio Shack to my mic cable from the Zumo to the autocom. I was having a hard time waiting for Autocoms new 1299 cable, which would be mono anyways on the older Autocoms. I eliminated the white wire in the autocom phone cable and added it to one side of the stereo ground loop isolator. I wired the the GLI to the red and ground wire of the autocom phone cable. Works well with the engine running in the garage. Still need to take it on a test ride, but I don't perceive having any problems. The audio is as good as it can be with bluetooth.

The GLI cost me $18 with tax at radio shack for the ground loop isolator.
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...oop%20isolator

Any audio ground loop isolator should work fine. Scosche, Boss, Stinger, and Bose make GLI's. Tons available on eBay. I used the Radio Shack model because it looked like it was the smallest and was convenient to buy. I have the mic-in of the Zumo going to the phone jack of my Autocom Active-7-Sport, and the audio out of the Zumo going to my Autocom stereo music jack. I usually run my vox completely turned off, so I have no loss of audio while talking on the phone. I don't run any GLI for the Zumo audio out. I hear very little if any engine noise as it is. However, if you are hearing engine noise, simply add the same GLI to the autocom audio cable, or run the Autocom isolated stereo cable. This should also work for all other intercom systems connected to the Zumo.

This gives me full stereo for XM and MP3 and clean bluetooth phone communications on the older Active-7-Sport Autocom. The new Autocoms support full stereo and mic on Aux 2 with a 4 pole 2.5mm jack with the Autocom 1299 cable. I really didn't want to upgrade my autocom.

Hope you all find this useful, motoshane
Old 01-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #144
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoshane
Any audio ground loop isolator should work fine. Scosche, Boss, Stinger, and Bose make GLI's. Tons available on eBay. I used the Radio Shack model because it looked like it was the smallest and was convenient to buy.
I keep a RS isolator in my tool chest for testing, generally my test to make sure I even need one. My only comment is, the RS one is, IMHO, quite large. You can find smaller ones that are inline are 1x3/4" or your can make your own by buying a RS 600 isolation transformer, they are tiny, and putting it inline on your cable and holding things together with hot glue and 1" heat shrink. Most of this can be found in old threads over in Equipment - do a search that includes ISOLATION and TRANSFORMER. The XMA3 folks as well as the Mixit guys sell them, this is the mono version from Mixit Products which gives you the idea of the actual size.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:46 AM   #145
motoshane
I really don't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
I keep a RS isolator in my tool chest for testing, generally my test to make sure I even need one. My only comment is, the RS one is, IMHO, quite large. You can find smaller ones that are inline are 1x3/4" or your can make your own by buying a RS 600 isolation transformer, they are tiny, and putting it inline on your cable and holding things together with hot glue and 1" heat shrink. Most of this can be found in old threads over in Equipment - do a search that includes ISOLATION and TRANSFORMER. The XMA3 folks as well as the Mixit guys sell them, this is the mono version from Mixit Products which gives you the idea of the actual size.
This sounds even better. I guess I should have done more research. Thanks for the info.

motoshane
Old 01-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #146
Attila the Hun
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Screen backlight timer: In previous Garmin units (76Cs) there was an option, that after a given time, the screen backlight switched off. There is no option in the Zumo. It is very useful, when you ride your bike in the dark and the unit only distracts you, when you reach a turn.

Satellite page: I'm missing the removed sattelite page too.

Avoidance: On the road device without road/area avoidance? Why?

Memory card: No SDHC capability.

I am also having some problems with routes. I made plans in mapsource for a 2 week journey. 1 route for every day. Then I upload and import. It takes a lot of time. When it finnishes half of the routes are missing and there is a blank route in the list without a name and without any waypoints.
If I delete the blank route and I start importing the left out routes one by one i can import all of the routes. But it is very time consuming and very frustrating.
Attila the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:45 AM   #147
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I dont have the Zumo , still running an old IQ . I am E challanged severly , it seems to me most of the problums are in Garmins basic data base , So far I have only found 1 motorcycle shop in the database and Garmins location was 6 miles from the new location they moved to 5 years ago . in Utah I Brought up Points of intrest and saw a listing for 50 churches , WTF . Maybe if they started with information targeted to motorcycle riders instead of feeding us a bunch of crap that is of no use to us . not to mention the 25% error rate when you get to the high detail maps . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #148
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagiva549
I dont have the Zumo , still running an old IQ . I am E challanged severly , it seems to me most of the problums are in Garmins basic data base , So far I have only found 1 motorcycle shop in the database and Garmins location was 6 miles from the new location they moved to 5 years ago . in Utah I Brought up Points of intrest and saw a listing for 50 churches , WTF . Maybe if they started with information targeted to motorcycle riders instead of feeding us a bunch of crap that is of no use to us . not to mention the 25% error rate when you get to the high detail maps . SEYA
Do a search on "motorcycle" under auto parts/dealers. You should find every BMW dealer with "motorcycle" in the name.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #149
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
A few postings on the razorbiker zumo forum (http://razorbiker.com/zumo/index.php) with Garmin commenting in support emails about a new firmware release shortly. No substance on what it will contain tho.

My wish list/comments here; http://www.gpsriders.net/zumo_required_features.html
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #150
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
A few postings on the razorbiker zumo forum (http://razorbiker.com/zumo/index.php) with Garmin commenting in support emails about a new firmware release shortly. No substance on what it will contain tho.

My wish list/comments here; http://www.gpsriders.net/zumo_required_features.html
As a LONG time garmin user, I'm shocked and appalled that they forced re-calc on you with the Zumo. An ABSOLUTE show stopper for me. Too bad, as it looks very nice otherwise.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote