User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #76
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
I have an emial into Kennedy. We'll see.

I have a direct phone cable coming tomorrow and will try that.

Meathead - might try to make Vortex tomorrow night - perhaps we can compare systems. I'd like to see you Beahr.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:26 AM   #77
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsmithii

Meathead - might try to make Vortex tomorrow night - perhaps we can compare systems. I'd like to see you Beahr.
Let me know how that goes, I'm very interested in it as well.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 AM   #78
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Quote:

I don't quite have the bike-to-bike all sorted out, and won't 'til after the first of the year, but the Zumo, phone, and radar detector are all wired in. Tonight's gonna be my first ride with it all hooked up, so maybe I'll have a better feel for it once I get down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Let me know how that goes, I'm very interested in it as well.
What'choo wanna know, Phil. I know all about this electronic wizardry.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #79
Texas42
Native Texan

Oddometer: 90
Quote:

I found this on the BMWLT site:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17567

Zumo 550 Intercom Noise Fix
Problem: Have the Zumo 550 and could not use the bluetooth for a phone call due to noise and feedback through my intercom.
I have the Baehr K1200LT, but I have heard autocom has the same issue.
Fix: Requires 2.5 mm cable with input only. Buy one or simply modify your current that carries both the mic and speaker by cutting the speaker wire. See attached.
Why: The Zumo requires two cables to wire to an intercom and use a bluetooth cell phone -- a 3.5 mm for audio out (standard for any headphone) and a 2.5 mm for audio in (standard for most cell phones), EXCEPT that the standard 2.5 mm cable is two way -- audio in and audio out. Since the Zumo has audio out of another cable, you get the feedback.
2005 Triumph Sprint ST (traded)
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS
http://www.twtex.com
Don't Panic! Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Texas42 screwed with this post 12-21-2006 at 08:34 PM
Texas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #80
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Interesting Tex42 - this may be something. The symptoms you describe:

The Zumo requires two cables to wire to an intercom and use a bluetooth cell phone -- a 3.5 mm for audio out (standard for any headphone) and a 2.5 mm for audio in (standard for most cell phones), EXCEPT that the standard 2.5 mm cable is two way -- audio in and audio out. Since the Zumo has audio out of another cable, you get the feedback.

Seem to describe the problem exactly.

On the fix, I'm not sure what you mean:

Requires 2.5 mm cable with input only. Buy one or simply modify your current that carries both the mic and speaker by cutting the speaker wire. See attached.

Didn't see anything attached and having trouble understnading which of the two wires on the MIC jack to cut.

Thanks

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #81
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:

The Zumo requires two cables to wire to an intercom and use a bluetooth cell phone -- a 3.5 mm for audio out (standard for any headphone) and a 2.5 mm for audio in (standard for most cell phones), EXCEPT that the standard 2.5 mm cable is two way -- audio in and audio out. Since the Zumo has audio out of another cable, you get the feedback.

Requires 2.5 mm cable with input only. Buy one or simply modify your current that carries both the mic and speaker by cutting the speaker wire. See attached.

Didn't see anything attached and having trouble understnading which of the two wires on the MIC jack to cut.

Thanks
Don't have anything technical to add here but .......the Goldwing guys are all over the Zumo too. Suggest folks take a look at

http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/index.shtml - Jon sells Kennedy (cellset.com -also a Jon too) stuff and is an expert in integration. Lots of his wisdom in the http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12 threads.

Cellset.com (Kennedy direct site) also has lots of tech drawings which give insight on how the other Jon plugs ZUMO in.

I have Kennedy bike to bike FRS/GMRS interface hooked into my sound/intercom system on my Goldwing and will integrate Zumo in 07.

Both of these guys are busy entrepreneus with small staffs. Jon at Cellset made me a special harness for my bike to bike and is a good guy when you can get hold of him.

Maybe if there is product you could define they would make it.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 AM   #82
Meathead
tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I found this on the BMWLT site:

Zumo 550 Intercom Noise Fix
Problem: Have the Zumo 550 and could not use the bluetooth for a phone call due to noise and feedback through my intercom.
I have the Baehr K1200LT, but I have heard autocom has the same issue.
Fix: Requires 2.5 mm cable with input only. Buy one or simply modify your current that carries both the mic and speaker by cutting the speaker wire. See attached.
Why: The Zumo requires two cables to wire to an intercom and use a bluetooth cell phone -- a 3.5 mm for audio out (standard for any headphone) and a 2.5 mm for audio in (standard for most cell phones), EXCEPT that the standard 2.5 mm cable is two way -- audio in and audio out. Since the Zumo has audio out of another cable, you get the feedback.
That sounds like just how mine's set up. I haven't experienced any of the feedback when calling by Bluetooth, but have yet to call while actually riding, either. I'll do that tonight, and report any problems.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #83
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Today's results

Got the RAZR cord for the Autocom and it worked perfectly. So I thought I woudl be clever and sync up to the Zumo and use it as a console, hopefully. Unfortunatly, as soon as I plug in the RAZR cable the bluetooth drops.

So, I'm wondering what to do.

I'm tempted, after over $100 in shipping charges, to send the whole thing back - hook back up my standard in ear speakers and use the scala.

Hopefully you will have better luck meathead tonight.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #84
Texas42
Native Texan

Oddometer: 90
Quote:

Thanks
I couldn't attach the drawing but there are actually three connections on the standard phone cable Ground (upper ring), speaker (ring), mic (tip). The speaker wire needs to be cut. If you go to the BMWLT.com site the url that I attached you can find the drawing under the GPS section.

2005 Triumph Sprint ST (traded)
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS
http://www.twtex.com
Don't Panic! Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
Texas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #85
motoshane
I really don't care!

Oddometer: 116
I'm wondering if painting the center pole of the 2.5 mic lead with nail polish or something similiar will effectively eliminate the speaker lead. Better yet, maybe a thin piece of hink shrink over the middle pole of the connector. This way you wouldn't have to cut your lead. Will be easier also. You wouldn't be able to constantly connect/disconnect this set up. The hintshrink would eventually wear out, but this should be a mostly permanant installing to the Zumo mount anyways. I'll try it today and report back.

motoshane
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM   #86
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Got the RAZR cord for the Autocom and it worked perfectly. So I thought I woudl be clever and sync up to the Zumo and use it as a console, hopefully. Unfortunatly, as soon as I plug in the RAZR cable the bluetooth drops.

I'm tempted, after over $100 in shipping charges, to send the whole thing back - hook back up my standard in ear speakers and use the scala.

Ouch.

I'm sticking with my BT setup with my Starcom for the time being since I use XM and just avoid playing mp3's when I have the phone paired up.

The real solution is for Garmin to get it's head on straight and allow the zumo to have the same audio configuration as when it's in the auto mount when running in the bike mount. Then at least the phone audio is isolated via BT and all any BT interface should work with any intercom.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 AM   #87
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I couldn't attach the drawing but there are actually three connections on the standard phone cable Ground (upper ring), speaker (ring), mic (tip). The speaker wire needs to be cut. If you go to the BMWLT.com site the url that I attached you can find the drawing under the GPS section.

I doubt if that cheat will work in all situations and intercoms. I'm still confused about the complaints about the poor audio quality via BT. I have the opposite problem, it's crystal clear and if anything too loud.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:33 AM   #88
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,062
I'm glad you guys have it all figured out. The more I read the more I get confused. Maybe if I had a Zumo in front of me it might make more sense. I was thinking of using the Autocom BT interface, but the two parts cost $250.00 - as much as my Autocom cost to begin with.... All I want to do is have my Zumo wired into the autocom and pair up my BT phone so I can see when a call is coming in.

Basically like this:
  • MP3 through the Autocom via the wired interface.
  • Directions through the Autocom via the wired interface.
  • Talk on the phone with the autocom connected to the Zumo with the audio wires.
  • Phone connect to the Zumo through BT.
Is this set up possible? If not what would you recommend?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:10 AM   #89
Meathead
tin man

Quote:

Mine worked just fine, 'cept I couldn't hear it above about 25 mph. The noise sensitivity and volume on the Baehr unit were both turned way down, and I didn't have the little screwdriver I needed to turn 'em up.

I did that when I got home, but won't know anything more 'til I head for Mr. Trademark's place this afternoon.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #90
motoshane
I really don't care!

Oddometer: 116
Thought it was a great idea to use heatshrink on the 2.5 jack. Just realized that the jack will not fit through the hole with this, and it likely won't fit even with a coating of fingernail polish or similiar. Looks like altering the cable by cutting the speaker wire lead is the only way.

Sorry, motoshane.