Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #1546
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 156
Laugh Lessons learned in 104 pages...

Hello all,
I am a n00b to motorcycles and willing to admit it... I have always wanted to have a multiuse bike and after a month or so of research I settled on the venerable Nighthawk... I managed to buy a 96 Nighthawk 750 off of ebay in October (paid more than I probably should have, yet I was impatient). It had 14947 on the Odometer when I bought it (has a few more now ). (pics will follow)

I stumbled upon this forum a couple of days ago and read through all 104 pages....
Here are a few lessons learned for anyone else out there who does not have the time (or the lack of a life) to do the reading...

1. Deadly is a genius with fab work and has a basement garage that can make any machinist turn green with envy... Beautiful Weehawk there man....

2. Note to self.. Never sell Nighthawk you will regret it....

3. To obtain a hardcase luggage rack you will have to either fabricate one or sell your soul to the devil... For a good condition factory exhaust... well I won't go there.....

4. Websites that may have Nighthawk parts
http://www.bikebandit.com/
http://www.ronayers.com/index.cfm
http://shspowersports.com/
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Frontpage.jsp
http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/
http://www.servicehonda.com/

5. ALL 92-03 Nighthawks are identical except for minor cosmetics..

6. DITCH THE STOCK TIRES... it will greatly improve the ride and handling..
examples to look at..
Michelin Pilot Roads
Metzler Lasertecs
Pirelli Sport Demons
Avon Distanzia Dualsports, or for street, Roadrunners
Bridgesone Bt-45

7. Get a centerstand.. if you try to lift the bike with a floorjack, other members of this forum will hunt you down and beat you to death with it..
$117 from service honda

8. There is one problem with Nighthawks.. The Tachometer will likely die..
Good news.. It can be fixed (it is a bad solder joint inside of it)
Bad news.. it is nearly impossible to get apart and Honda wants waaayyyy too much for a new one...

9. Suspension.. the factory showa suspension is not that great..
there is a fix Progressive 416 series fork springs (easy to install)..
Progressive 412 series shocks (20 min change) WARNING do not get the heavy duty springs unless you do a lot of 2up riding...

10. Carburetor mod
The Nighthawk runs a bit lean from the factory.. Honda does that for emissions purposes..
There are 2 ways to do it..
(1.) install a dynojet kit (hard, expensive way)
(2.) Tim Hodge washer mod (easy cheapo way)
LINK.... http://www.nighthawk750.com/mods/carbneedlemod.html

Well folks these are lessons learned from a N00B with no life
Sorry for the long post
Hope it helps....
RedneckMech

redneckmech screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 09:43 AM
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #1547
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

My Nighthawk

All pictures taken within half of a mile from my house..

I bought it off of ebay in October with 14947 miles on it, and waited a full month for it to get here ( I now dislike shipping companies) Truck broke down, 1 extra week.... they FORGOT to send it out for delivery from the local (92miles) warehouse (another week)...
Nevertheless I have it now and am very happy with it...

List of accessories that came with it..
Vance and Hines 4-1 exhaust
Corbin seat (factory one also) both came with it
National cycle plexistarII windscreen
centerstand
30mm bar risers (currently removed)
My add-ons so far
Fieldsheer expander saddlebags
Fieldsheer the Roll tailbag
LED taillight bulbs (coming soon)
Brighter headlight bulb (coming soon)
Trying to figure out what I want for new tires.... thinking Pirelli sport demons not sure yet...
Anyone have experience with them.. or others for that matter???

Eventually progressive suspension (when funds allow)

I will try get some more recent pictures.. I have done a lot of cleaning on it since these were taken... (I am almost OCD about some things)

Have a good one

The redneck Mechanic

redneckmech screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 10:49 PM
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #1548
Lysol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Here's mine!

the only mod ive done is the v&h 4-1 pipe with dyno jet stage 1.

I also have fieldsheer expander saddlebags and a big ass duffel bag just in case!

Sorry about this but my most recent photos can be viewed here :http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php/topic,3123.0.html

Its a RR i did of the ADV Central Rally for the folks at the Nighthawk Forums
Lysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #1549
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,149
Nice looking bike and summary
Yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #1550
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Lysol: Nice bike and nice write up.. I haven't got a chance to go camping off of the bike yet.. It is in the future though.. If anyone off of this forum is ever in Northern Idaho let me know about it and I can give a tour of the St. Joe... (lots of twisties and mountaintops... albeit not all paved).. The Nighthawk does love gravel roads too though; I live on one.
1990 XR250

redneckmech screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 08:29 PM
Old 02-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #1551
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,073
Redneck: Congrats on your new ride.

You may have paid more than what you should, however, your bike has some goodies that many others don't.

Other things to consider:

Many current NH owners selling their bikes (with all the accessories you want) are hard to negotiate with when you want them to sell their accessories separately. You might have to buy the whole bike just to get that Corbin seat, that Givi setup, etc, and then sell the bike afterwards.

I've contacted 6-7 different sellers about their Givi racks, seats, etc, and all of them either said 'no', 'I'll think about it', or flat out ignore me.

Even Deadly does not answer my emails about fabricating another set of racks for sale.

Frustrating, since our NH's are bulletproof and excellent for touring, but the aftermarket farkles are disappearing.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #1552
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 65
Great post and pics ! Congratz !

My hawk news:

I ( ok, Rusty ...while I held the bike) put the handle bar risers on today ( GenMar) . They fit fantastic, Super ez install and they made a huge difference in comfort. Hard to believe just an inch higher and 2 back would be that big a deal but it was.
I'm very happy with the purchase and I know it's going to make longer rides way less exhausting... not to mention getting sensitive body parts OFF the tank and back on the seat

Saddle bags should be here later this week and the fairing in another 12 or 13 days.

I hope to have a new back tire before then.
I'm going with Mich Pilot2s for tires.
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #1553
lucky lindy
rider

Oddometer: 32
Great looking 'hawk RedneckMech and wish I lived in that kind of scenery.
lucky lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #1554
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,683
just snagged a Shad SH40ca topcase and Shad rack off of Ebay, can't wait to get them installed... kind of apprehensive about the rack, as I've heard that the Givi requires some modification, but the Shad online looks like it should work, will post pics
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #1555
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw
just snagged a Shad SH40ca topcase and Shad rack off of Ebay, can't wait to get them installed... kind of apprehensive about the rack, as I've heard that the Givi requires some modification, but the Shad online looks like it should work, will post pics
What is the model # of the Shad rack you got?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #1556
dogjaw
plays well alone

HOC74T, if I remember correctly. I called Binetto, they were about as helpful as a turd in a punchbowl, but their website said that it should fit, so I took the plunge... the girl answering the phone shore had a purdy accent, though.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #1557
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPlayer
Great post and pics ! Congratz !

My hawk news:

I ( ok, Rusty ...while I held the bike) put the handle bar risers on today ( GenMar) . They fit fantastic, Super ez install and they made a huge difference in comfort. Hard to believe just an inch higher and 2 back would be that big a deal but it was.
I'm very happy with the purchase and I know it's going to make longer rides way less exhausting... not to mention getting sensitive body parts OFF the tank and back on the seat

Saddle bags should be here later this week and the fairing in another 12 or 13 days.

I hope to have a new back tire before then.
I'm going with Mich Pilot2s for tires.
Which risers did you purchase? Checking the website on line didn't show the 1x2 risers. Were all of you cables long enough?
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1558
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw
HOC74T, if I remember correctly. I called Binetto, they were about as helpful as a turd in a punchbowl, but their website said that it should fit, so I took the plunge... the girl answering the phone shore had a purdy accent, though.
You mean you got the Shad topcase on fleaBay and the rack at Binetto?

I placed an order at oldbikebarn.com, then found out how bad they are at actually shipping your orders, but they haven't billed my card yet and called me 2 weeks later saying "hopefully another 7 days". Going to shop around some more.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #1559
dogjaw
plays well alone

actually found the rack on Craigslist, a shop in Minneapolis closing out their Shad cases, I saw the rack at Old Bike Barn as well, tried calling them on numerous occasions, then saw the scathing reviews, and that was the end of that. The mamacita at Binetto wouldn't gaurantee the rack would fit, but did indicate that I could order direct if I chose? you might try that route after I get mine in to determine if it fits...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #1560
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green427
Redneck: Congrats on your new ride.

You may have paid more than what you should, however, your bike has some goodies that many others don't.

Other things to consider:

Many current NH owners selling their bikes (with all the accessories you want) are hard to negotiate with when you want them to sell their accessories separately. You might have to buy the whole bike just to get that Corbin seat, that Givi setup, etc, and then sell the bike afterwards.

I've contacted 6-7 different sellers about their Givi racks, seats, etc, and all of them either said 'no', 'I'll think about it', or flat out ignore me.

Even Deadly does not answer my emails about fabricating another set of racks for sale.

Frustrating, since our NH's are bulletproof and excellent for touring, but the aftermarket farkles are disappearing.
I will admit, You do have a very good point there... It is very difficult to obtain accessories for the Nighthawk anymore.... I do wish that I had a rack and hardcases for mine also... I will probably end up building some similar to deadly's except with maybe one more attachment point.... Not certain yet.... I have a few ideas just need to get them on paper.. If I am able to make one I may just make a couple more when I get the bugs worked out.... I do have a fairly good shop with the exception of a milling machine. I do have a friend with one though.... I am also a certified welder all process, all position...
1990 XR250