User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #1561
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 156
Talking Today's ride

I know this belongs in the ride reports but I thought you all might enjoy it..

The weather cleared off a bit today (it was not snowing or raining) so I decided to get out and take a few updated pics of my bike.. It was a bit cold 38*F but I did manage to get another 135 miles on my bike.. I had to stop and thaw out on numerous occasions though.... No heated clothing.. The lighting was not that good so they are not the best quality pictures (dang, I will have to try again) I thought that you all might enjoy them though..
I started off on Idaho state highway 5 and then linked up with Hwy 95 North..
Funny thing is that I had never liked hwy 5 all that much until I got my bike lots of twisties.. Highway 5 on the way out was still pretty wet yet it had salt on it so no ice luckily, 95 was clear and dry with relatively new pavement after all of the construction work. On the way back everything was pretty much clear and dry even if the sun did not shine at all today...
Had a great time on the twisties and had fun even if it was so dang cold.. I do not own cold weather gear yet (all of it is perforated)... I did appreciate the windscreen though.. I will probably manage quite a few more cold weather rides provided that the weather holds...

If it looks as though my tailbag is sitting a bit higher than it should, that is because computer is under it... Rode there well though..

I do enjoy the area that I live in, it is of great beauty..
Offer still stands, If anyone on this forum is in the North Idaho area and wants a tour of the St. Joe river - Red Ives area I would be happy to guide.. Warn me a bit in advance
1990 XR250
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #1562
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckmech
I am also a certified welder all process, all position...
You might be able to sell a few racks too...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #1563
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 65
Risers:
X102B they're NOT really 1 x 2 I was just rounding... liberaly. But they feel as if they created more than that in comfort travel. I'll post a pic soon.

REDNECKMEC - Super! I like the idea of computer under the bags ( and I orderd some very much like them) and it's nice to see those bags far far away from the pipes

I want your "crash bars" and highway pegs.... soon on my list...after plastic.
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #1564
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPlayer
Risers:
X102B they're NOT really 1 x 2 I was just rounding... liberaly. But they feel as if they created more than that in comfort travel. I'll post a pic soon.

REDNECKMEC - Super! I like the idea of computer under the bags ( and I orderd some very much like them) and it's nice to see those bags far far away from the pipes

I want your "crash bars" and highway pegs.... soon on my list...after plastic.
I do agree with you on the distance from the pipes to my bags.. after reading about a guy who had his bike catch on fire from it.. That was one of my original concerns when I ordered the bags, it did work out well though..

AZbiker, I have certainly considered it... I may just do that when I get mine built and get the bugs worked out... I do have a couple of ideas on how to build....

Thank you all for the comments,

1990 XR250
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #1565
CL77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Redneck:

Cool bike.

Where did you get the "highway pegs?"

Did you fabricate them?

Many thanks.
CL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #1566
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw
actually found the rack on Craigslist, a shop in Minneapolis closing out their Shad cases, I saw the rack at Old Bike Barn as well, tried calling them on numerous occasions, then saw the scathing reviews, and that was the end of that. The mamacita at Binetto wouldn't gaurantee the rack would fit, but did indicate that I could order direct if I chose? you might try that route after I get mine in to determine if it fits...

Should fit as long as your bike is stock. There is one guy over in nighthawk-forums.com that has pics. His only issue is that one side was lower than the other.

I am having trouble finding one supplier that has 'em in stock, oncycles.com screwed me over by yanking my chain, telling me I had to pay a $10 fee for having it special ordered after telling me it was in stock, then telling me it was actually in stock, now they say they don't have it.

Checking out a couple other suppliers to see what they say.

If you don't mind me asking, did the mamacita at Binetto say anything about a high shipping fee?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #1567
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL77
Redneck:

Cool bike.

Did you fabricate them?

Many thanks.
As long as you have the engine guards shown, any highway pegs should work.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #1568
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Cool2 Highway pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL77
Redneck:

Cool bike.

Did you fabricate them?

Many thanks.
To be honest I am not sure.. They came with the bike when I bought it..
As long as they are meant to clamp to a 1" bar they should work.. There is a person further back in the forum that did fabricate his own that bolted onto the frame bypassing the need for Crash bars... Here is the post.. If you want the rest of the conversation it is on page 35..

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_brake5

Here's my stock passenger pegs fitted to the NH. Pardon the mess, it's definately time for some spring cleaning in my garage!

and on page 43 crash bars and places to acquire them were discussed (you may also check servicehonda.com or SHSpowersports.com; either may still have them).... (hope this information helps... I read through and remembered about where all of the info was....)
1990 XR250
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #1569
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,730
Green427;

mamacita and I never got to the price; by the time she called back, I had already dropped the hammer on the rack in MSP, got it in today, as a matter of fact. No problem on the right side, but had to cut off the helmet lock and do a little grinding to the right side and it mounted right up; the metal tabs on the Shad rack totally cover where the helmet lock should be. The actual top case and base plate should be in later this week, so I'll finally get a chance to see how it all comes together, but so far so good. This rack should be very easy for a machine shop to reproduce, btw...
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #1570
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw
Green427;

mamacita and I never got to the price; by the time she called back, I had already dropped the hammer on the rack in MSP, got it in today, as a matter of fact. No problem on the right side, but had to cut off the helmet lock and do a little grinding to the right side and it mounted right up; the metal tabs on the Shad rack totally cover where the helmet lock should be. The actual top case and base plate should be in later this week, so I'll finally get a chance to see how it all comes together, but so far so good. This rack should be very easy for a machine shop to reproduce, btw...
Pictures???? please.. if you get the chance..
Thank you
1990 XR250
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #1571
dogjaw
plays well alone

http://dogjaw.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...75_xQsfV-A-LB][/url]

http://dogjaw.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...53_cRarb-A-LB][/url]

http://dogjaw.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...53_cRarb-A-LB][/url]

ask and ye shall receive; and no, my bike isn't pink... I adjusted the contrast to better show how and where the rack mounts... this is my first stab at smugmug, so I hope the pics show up...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #1572
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 65
Cool. RE: pink... yeah I was gonna ask about special HelloKitty Hawk.... but I see it's red
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #1573
dogjaw
plays well alone

Laugh

Yeah, I knew I was in for a rash of crap when I saw how the color turned out; Kittyhawk; pretty funny stuff, just wait until my testosterone-challenged BMW riding buddy gets ahold of this...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #1574
Green427
Comfortably Dumb

Dogjaw: thanks for the pics of the setup.

Did you have to remove the hot pink fairings in order to install those bolts on the lower grab bars?

The .pdf installation manual at shad's website says to take them off? Does not look like you really have to?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #1575
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Thumb

Thank you for the pictures, That is just the topcase mount right?? It does look very simple to reproduce though.... By the way nice looking hawk, I was going to rib you on the color but i see that it has already been done (edit: multiple times)....
Shiny exhaust in the pics too..
Thanks
1990 XR250