User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #151
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Last look

Here's a picture with the lower fairing installed, this is how she looked when I sold her -
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #152
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy
Here's a picture with the lower fairing installed, this is how she looked when I sold her -
Damn! That color with a silver engine. I woulda kept that bad boy 4ever!

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #153
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Thanks. I do miss her....
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #154
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Man, just found this thread.

We have one in our stable, it's the wife's machine. 2000 model with about 6000 miles on it. We've had a bunch of nighthawks. 650, 700S and now the 750. Unbeatable bikes.

Wife has a nice Hellfire windscreen on it and Ventura pack rack system to hold all her stuff for trips. I added the optional centerstand when we bought it.

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #155
jsap3071
eggs or pot

Oddometer: 57
Nighthawks on ADV!! Hot Damm!!!

Damn nighthawks...
I kick the crap out of them, take them down logging trails and gravel roads then jump back on the highway.
I drop them, get them filthy, dirty nasty and rarely wash them.
I change the oil when I feel like it.
I ride in the rain (Washington state...it's a permanent condition), and have taken it in the light snow we get up here.
All the HD riders at work talk great about their bikes, make fun of mine, but then look at me crazy when I ride up in the rain, with mud all over it. "Thats not a dirt bike"...no kidding!! Ya think??
The bike never complains, never fails to start, always forgives me, and has always gotten me home...even with a flat rear tire (dumba** rider!)
I keep thinking Im gonna trade it in for a sexy new KLR or maybe even a wee-strom, but I don't think I can get rid of something that has been so reliable and fun.
I bought my '82 CB650 for $700. It barely ran, had leaky fork seals, tach was inop, dry rotted spark plug wires, rust in the tank, and a steady oil leak. Friggin thing ran like a raped ape! You would never know it, but it was as much of a dual purpose as a V-strom. I finally decided to upgrade to a 750 and I it performs as flawlessly as it's older counterpart did. Sadly, I sold the 650 since my butt can only be on 1 bike at a time. The guy I sold it to even called me and was thrilled to be on it. Told me it was the best ride he had been on in years, just driving it home.
All hail the Hawk!!!

I'm computer illiterate, so I'm working on trying to attach ride photos...
Does my heart good to see other dedicated Hawk riders!!!

jsap3071 screwed with this post 06-02-2007 at 07:37 PM
jsap3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #156
jsap3071
eggs or pot

1982 650

A pic of the dual purpose 650 nighthawk...light duty of course!

jsap3071 screwed with this post 06-02-2007 at 07:37 PM
Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #157
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsap3071
......All hail the Hawk!!!

I'm computer illiterate, so I'm working on trying to attach ride photos...
Does my heart good to see other dedicated Hawk riders!!!
Now thats what I'm talking about! ..... Now get out there soldier and start posting some ride reports.

I guarantee you will be seeing more of mine.

1- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225924

2- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223753

(..75 mph ADV hello..)
Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 05-05-2007 at 03:21 PM
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #158
Zig-Zag
That's gunna leave a mark

Oddometer: 15
Pissed Oil filter wrench and paint

First of all I want to say this is the best Nighthawk thread I've found yet. I've only had my 86 700s for a few weeks and I sort of remember a discussion about needing a specially modified wrench to get the oil filter off. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Also, I managed to find a new set of hard bags (not factory) for the bike. They are the right size and shape, but not the right color. My '86 is r/w/b and short of having a paint shop mix up a batch of matching paint, is there any matching blue paint available without spending an arm and a leg?

Love the bike - 1,000 miles in 3 weeks - haven't taken it to the N. Georgia mountains yet - Still no digital camera - Pictures to follow sometime.

Thanks in advance for any help out there

Every Turn - Every Time - Ride Safe

Zig-Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 AM   #159
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig-Zag
First of all I want to say this is the best Nighthawk thread I've found yet. I've only had my 86 700s for a few weeks and I sort of remember a discussion about needing a specially modified wrench to get the oil filter off. Can anyone enlighten me about this?
I just bought the same bike ('84). I read somewhere that there's a tool in the stock toolkit for this, but I haven't looked yet. I also read (maybe here), that you can take a belt (the kind that holds up your pants) and cinch it around the filter all the way, then twist the filter off.

Quote:
Also, I managed to find a new set of hard bags (not factory) for the bike.
I can't help you with the paint job, but I'm wondering which bags you found and how you put them on.
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #160
jsap3071
eggs or pot

[quote=Zig-Zag]First of all I want to say this is the best Nighthawk thread I've found yet. I've only had my 86 700s for a few weeks and I sort of remember a discussion about needing a specially modified wrench to get the oil filter off. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

I know that I have a special wrench to remove my filter. I can only assume it is the same with your 700.
I dunno if it will help, but here's the part number for it:
Oil Filter Wrench - 07HAA-PJ70100

Good Luck. Hope it works!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #161
happycommuter
Boy in the hood

Oddometer: 60
Cool2 700 oil changes

According to the site below, the Honda part for the oil filter with the cutout so it clears the exhaust is 07912-6110001. I got one from the dealer and can't imagine removing the filter without it. http://www.pipeline.com/~randyo/Maintenance/NH700S-750S_maint_tips.htm
Also, the only way I've found to loosen the left frame drain bolt is with a 12-point 12mm wrench.
happycommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #162
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,951
Just found this. I've had 3 Nighthawks. A 1983 550 that I bought brand new, a 1983 650 bought used in '96, and a 1984 700 bought used in 2004. Wonderful bikes, although the 650 had charging system probs. plus I didnt take very good care of it. It WAS my only tranportation for 3 years though. here's pic's, no digital ones tho.....
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM   #163
mike
Beastly Adventurer

'83 650
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #164
mike
Beastly Adventurer

'84 700.... I when I sold this one
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #165
Zig-Zag
That's gunna leave a mark

Oddometer: 15
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDawg
I just bought the same bike ('84). I read somewhere that there's a tool in the stock toolkit for this, but I haven't looked yet. I also read (maybe here), that you can take a belt (the kind that holds up your pants) and cinch it around the filter all the way, then twist the filter off.

I can't help you with the paint job, but I'm wondering which bags you found and how you put them on.
The bags came from a Vento Motorcycle dealer. They're not real heavy duty but they do allow me to carry my heavy duty cable lock, rain suit, sweatshirt, extra gloves, glasses, and have a little room left over. The bags are fiberglass with a side opening door, clear turn signal lenses, and chrome mount brackets. I don't fully trust the locks yet because of the side opening door, so I'm trying to not overload them.

Mounting was a breeze once I figured out the right hardware combination. Remove both turn signals and the red reflectors on the grab rail. Attach the mount bracket using 4 1/2" bolts with 1" spacers in the rear grab rail hole. Drill a hole for the foreward mount bolt and attach with a 1 1/2" bolt with 3/4" spacer. I used fiber lock nuts all around. Run the wiring through the now empty turn signal hole and make the connections. Done.

I was hoping to get them painted before I sent any pix, but I'll try to get some in soon.

Every Turn - Every Time - Ride Safe

Zig-Zag is offline   Reply With Quote