User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 AM   #166
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Locking Hard Topcase

I've got soft saddlebags and a tailbag I like for trips, but I want to add a locking hard topcase (case locks closed and locks to bike) to my 2003 US spec Nighthawk 750 for commuting. I want it to be big enough to hold a small day pack with office stuff and a change of clothes on the way to work, and then one full face helmet with room left over for gloves and some other random small items until it's time to ride home. My bogey is the GS Adventure topcase on my previous bike.

Is Givi the only source? Is their stuff any good? I might be able to get used to the looks if it works well.

Thanks for any advice on solutions you've found which might work for me.

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #167
Chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I too would like to know about hard luggage for the bike. I'd love to be able to keep some stuff on the bike while I leave it at school during the day.

On another note, while everything I read about the bike said it was pretty "boring" looking, I notice a ton of these bikes at school.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #168
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Givi Topcase Response

I sent Givi an inquiry through their online link and they sent me this response:

"Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Y146 & N150 Side case mounting hardware $209.20
Y146 & N140 $279.00 Three case mounting hardware

We apologize but in order to add a top case the side case mounting hardware has to be fitted as well, in regards to a top case you can choose from any of the Monokey series bags."

So, it looks like the only solution from Givi for a smaller, hard, lockable topcase for the Nighthawk is the three-case mounting hardware and (from their website) the E-35 Traffic II, 35-litre case. All the other Monokey series bags are a lot bigger. Apparently the Monolock cases aren't compatible with the only available mount. They didn't confirm whether the E-35 will hold a full-face helmet.

I'd still prefer not to have the unnecessary side case mounts, but maybe I could find a way to use them as alternative attachment points for the soft saddlebags and tail/seat bag I have now, and it will give me the option of adding hard side cases in the future.

Does anybody have a lockable hard topcase solution for our bikes from another supplier?

Thanks.

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #169
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbob
I sent Givi an inquiry through their online link and they sent me this response:

"Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Y146 & N150 Side case mounting hardware $209.20
Y146 & N140 $279.00 Three case mounting hardware

We apologize but in order to add a top case the side case mounting hardware has to be fitted as well, in regards to a top case you can choose from any of the Monokey series bags."

So, it looks like the only solution from Givi for a smaller, hard, lockable topcase for the Nighthawk is the three-case mounting hardware and (from their website) the E-35 Traffic II, 35-litre case. All the other Monokey series bags are a lot bigger. Apparently the Monolock cases aren't compatible with the only available mount. They didn't confirm whether the E-35 will hold a full-face helmet.

I'd still prefer not to have the unnecessary side case mounts, but maybe I could find a way to use them as alternative attachment points for the soft saddlebags and tail/seat bag I have now, and it will give me the option of adding hard side cases in the future.

Does anybody have a lockable hard topcase solution for our bikes from another supplier?

Thanks.

Bob
Have you looked at twistedthrottle.com?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/157/

They carry Krauser stuff, heavier duty than the Givis, AFAIK.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #170
Ginzer
Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer: 684
Cases

I was looking at the Caribou Cases that were developed by someone on this site from Pelican cases. They have a DIY model, but it would really be DIY for me since I have the 700s. Maybe those of you w/ the NH 750 could use Givi racks and attach the Caibou cases. Looks like they are as cheap (and tough) as you'll get.

http://www.adventure-motorcycle.com/store/?name=Home

Or, maybe this:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/..._Nighthawk_750
Ginzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #171
agreif
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
Wow, that is one good looking bike. I am definitiely repainting the bike this fall and would love it if the engine cleaned up that well this weekend when I throw some Gunk degreaser on it. Those sure look like some high luster wheels too. Looks like the newer ones came with a lot more chrome (I know my header pipes could use some work. I'd love to find some soft grips for this thing. I feel like I'm riding my old BMX with the grips that are on there now.

By the way, that seafoam cleared up the extreme cold idle/choke issue I had, just an FYI.
agreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #172
Chris
Adventurer

If you weren't concerned (for saddlebags, at least) with something light, pretty, or round, it seems like you could use a couple pelican cases (or surplus ammo boxes, too, I suppose) and some U bolts or pipe fittings to attach it to the "frame" above the rear wheel. To combat movement (since they would still be free to twist towards the wheel) I suppose you could use a light piece of scrap metal to tie the two boxes together. It wouldn't be that easy to remove, but I have a feeling it could be done for cheap. I can't imagine spending $500+ on luggage.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #173
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreif
Wow, that is one good looking bike. I am definitiely repainting the bike this fall and would love it if the engine cleaned up that well this weekend when I throw some Gunk degreaser on it. Those sure look like some high luster wheels too. Looks like the newer ones came with a lot more chrome (I know my header pipes could use some work. I'd love to find some soft grips for this thing. I feel like I'm riding my old BMX with the grips that are on there now.

By the way, that seafoam cleared up the extreme cold idle/choke issue I had, just an FYI.
Here it is in touring mode. Soft saddlebags are Hondaline that I bought for my '85 V65 Sabre, some of the best bags I've ever purchased and still in great shape at nearly 20 years old. Best addition was the Ventura Pack Rack system, it holds an unbelievable amount of stuff.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #174
Chris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
Here it is in touring mode. Soft saddlebags are Hondaline that I bought for my '85 V65 Sabre, some of the best bags I've ever purchased and still in great shape at nearly 20 years old. Best addition was the Ventura Pack Rack system, it holds an unbelievable amount of stuff.
Do you happen to have any pictures of the rack without any bags installed? Just wondering how it looks.

Also, what kind of mileage is everyone getting out of their tanks? I find that at 125 miles I'm switching to reserve (and usually running out and stalling on the side of the road lol)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #175
artk
hi

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Do you happen to have any pictures of the rack without any bags installed? Just wondering how it looks.

Also, what kind of mileage is everyone getting out of their tanks? I find that at 125 miles I'm switching to reserve (and usually running out and stalling on the side of the road lol)
Post #111 in this thread for pics
artk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #176
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Great Hard bags

Hepco and Becker make hard bags to fit a bunch of bikes. I found a pair of 42 liter Journey bags and one smaller 30 liter Junior bag on ebay. I just got the Nighthawk mounts from eurosport, but there is a small problem.

The mounts appear to be designed for the CBX750 sold in Australia and Europe. I may have to cut slots in the bodywork and buy some hardware to make these bags work. I'll post some pics in a few weeks when the job is done. I'm going to email eurosport first to make sure they did not send the wrong mounts, but everything lines up from mounts to frame so I'm probably stuck with what I have.

My 1993 Nh is my second Nh--the first was a 1984 CB700SC. Does anyone know of a website that has parts interchangability info for the various Nighthawks around the world? It is my understanding that the 1991-2001 USA Nh, CBX750, CB700SC Nighthawk S, and 1984 onward 550 and 650 Nighthawks share very similar engines with the same bore spacing. Earlier Nighthawks are completely different. I think it would be a great project to build an ultimate Nighthawk. Perhaps 700SC shaft drive, 700SC cylinder head (bigger valves), CBX750 chassis parts (better brakes, wheels, and shocks), etc. could be used.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #177
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
......Also, what kind of mileage is everyone getting out of their tanks? I find that at 125 miles I'm switching to reserve (and usually running out and stalling on the side of the road lol)

Chris,

You may need to have your carbs tweeked a little. I get better mileage than that pulling a fully loaded trailer and using a large windshield.
What speeds are riding your bike at? 50 and 60mph (my tachometer reads 3,500 rpm at 55 mph) gets me my best mileage with no trailer and a small windshield I can get 56 mpg at these slower speeds but at 75 and 80 mph (at this point my tach will read close to 5,000 rpm) my mileage drops to about 45 mpg and sometimes less depending on wind conditions.
The worst mileage I ever got was 35 mpg and I was traveling 80 mph into a head wind with a large windshield and pulling a trailer. My tank is 4.8 gallon with the .8 being my reserve and I never get into that so only the top 4 gallons are used.

P.S. No need for bags with this setup. Its lockable and weather proof and the bike has a dealer installed HJC 2000 Security System.

The photo below was taken this morning with my large windshield installed.
Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 05-13-2007 at 07:47 AM
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #178
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:

Chris,

Before selling my 93 NH, I was getting on average 190 miles before going to reserve before shimming the carbs and that dropped to about 170 miles before switching to reserve afterward.
Average riding consided of daily commute to work 21 miles one way at speeds from 35 to 70 and some weekend / casual riding at speeds up to (and possibly over ) the posted limits.
Yours sounds way too low from what I've seen with about 8 or 10 other NH's over the past 10 years or so.
Have you checked your plugs for signs of over richness?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #179
Chris
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy
Have you checked your plugs for signs of over richness?
Nah, I haven't yet. I'm moving home in a couple weeks, so when I finally have some tools and some space, I'll take a look at it.

And I thought 40 MPG was amazing!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #180
Chris
Adventurer

I'm moving next week, and I'm renting a big uhaul to take all my stuff back home. How would you recommend tying down the bike in the truck? I was thinking four straps, two from each side, tied to the frame (one towards the front, near the oil cooler, and one to the frame by the passenger footpegs). Any suggestions?