Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #1981
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,175
I have the BT45 on the rear of my 83' and yesterdays monsoon it did quite well concidering the front tire is bald. I will be replacing it (front) with a D404 Dunlop this week.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #1982
WojoMan29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks Davevv.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #1983
Louisiana Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WojoMan29
Hey ya'll - Any recommendations on new tires?

I'd like something good in turns and wet conditions. Long tire life would be a plus too.

I've been looking at Metzeler Z6 Interacts & also Bridgestone BT45's. Not sure what else would be worth considering...

Is ordering online good to do?

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
I am on my second Michelin Pilot Active rear,I got 15000 miles on the first one.
I have a Pilot Active on the front now,and they work wonderful together on my 03 nighthawk.
Louisiana Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #1984
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Ok, so it looks like the oil burning issue I mentioned previously has not subsided. There is blue smoke coming out of the left exhaust pipe, even after the bike is warmed up and ridden. This has no effect on how the engine runs, it pulls great, runs smooth.

Also, we found a whole lot of oil in the airbox, presumably from the crankcase ventilation.

One really stupid/obvious thing we forgot to check was the oil level when we bought it, my brother hypothesized that maybe it's just overfilled like hell, causing oil to come out of the breather, into the airbox, then gets sucked in and burned, leading to blue smoke. I sure hope this is the problem, I'd hate to have to replace rings. Another potential culprit is a leaky headgasket, which would cause combustion gases to blow into the crankcase and blow oil out of the crankcase ventilation. However, low compression on one cylinder would probably cause running issues, right?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #1985
jspringator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
It is hard to get on the centerstand, so people check the oil without it being in the proper position and overfill it. I speak from experience. Put it up on the stand and check it. Also drain the breather tube. That was absolutely full on mine, causing smoking. If you are using seafoam it could be burning off residue. Check the oil on the centerstand, ride it a distance, put it back on the centerstand and check again. That is the only way you will know if it is burning oil. The air filter could be partially clogged causing it to run ritch.

2000 ST1100 ABS
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #1986
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspringator
It is hard to get on the centerstand, so people check the oil without it being in the proper position and overfill it. I speak from experience. Put it up on the stand and check it. Also drain the breather tube. That was absolutely full on mine, causing smoking. If you are using seafoam it could be burning off residue. Check the oil on the centerstand, ride it a distance, put it back on the centerstand and check again. That is the only way you will know if it is burning oil. The air filter could be partially clogged causing it to run ritch.
Well right now the air filter is completely removed, so if anything, it's running a bit lean. The smoke is definitely the blue, burning oil variety. My friend was planning on changing the oil today anyways, and he'll make sure to not overfill it.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #1987
njpaddler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thumb Tires, online purchase

As far as buying them online, I had two fine and satisfactory purchases from Tires Unlimited. Customer Service corrected a mistake I'd made, they had the best prices I could find and FedEx Ground shipping- I'd recommend them anytime.
njpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #1988
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by njpaddler
As far as buying them online, I had two fine and satisfactory purchases from Tires Unlimited. Customer Service corrected a mistake I'd made, they had the best prices I could find and FedEx Ground shipping- I'd recommend them anytime.
Really? They have the same tires here at the Honda shop $10 cheaper than their prices on at least 2 of the Dunlop tires.
I have had good luck with Dennis Kirk on tires. (mostly dual sport). Will be getting a D404 this week from them.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #1989
nimbuscrenel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question

I have an '85 CB650SC with the Hondaline sissybar/backrest. I want to get a Givi style top case, but I wasn't sure if the little luggage rack on the sissybar is big enough to mount one or if the sissybar would get in the way. Anyone have any experience with this?
nimbuscrenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #1990
page62
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
Well right now the air filter is completely removed, so if anything, it's running a bit lean. The smoke is definitely the blue, burning oil variety. My friend was planning on changing the oil today anyways, and he'll make sure to not overfill it.
You may have stuck rings. I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in with the motor oil...just make sure the total amount doesn't exceed the engine oil capacity!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #1991
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by page62
You may have stuck rings. I would put some Marvel Mystery Oil in with the motor oil...just make sure the total amount doesn't exceed the engine oil capacity!
I think the puddle of oil in the airbox was causing the smoke, I've been in touch with my friend today, he's been busy cleaning out the breather tube, he said it was really gunked up. We read online that a choked up breather tube can cause elevated crankcase pressure, leading to excessive oil coming out of the breather tube, as well as oil leaks developing elsewhere in the engine. This describes our situation to a T, and if coupled with an overfilled crankcase, makes even more sense. One notorious symptom is oil seepage past the rubber half-circles in the valve cover, one of the places this bike has a slow leak.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #1992
GAwoody83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
new-to-me nighthawk 750

hey guys i just purchased a pretty sweet 96 nighthawk 750. it has the corbin seat with back rest and a f-15 fairing. it has almost NO rust and just a couple minor dents in the tank. tell me what ya think!

GAwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #1993
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
10k miles?!? Geez. I got mine with 13k. No idea how someone can hold onto a nighthawk for so many years and not rack up a million miles.

Nice bike!
 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #1994
lucky lindy
rider

Oddometer: 32
Looks like a winner GAwoody. With only 10k miles that 'hawk needs to be ridden. Enjoy.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #1995
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAwoody83
hey guys i just purchased a pretty sweet 96 nighthawk 750. it has the corbin seat with back rest and a f-15 fairing. it has almost NO rust and just a couple minor dents in the tank. tell me what ya think!
Wow nice find!!! Interesting windshield. For myself @ 5'11" it looks like it might want to lift off my helmet at speed?

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote