Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 PM   #211
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Check your steering head bearings. Get the front end off the ground but dont lift it by the bars or anything attached to the fork (a center stand works great but I noticed you dont have one). Then grab the front tire or fork tubes and pull and push it front to back. Also check for side to side movement but its the front to back movement that is known for causeing steering wobble. Everything should be tight with no movement.

At least that is what I have read in magazines and how to check for it.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #212
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear

Oddometer: 165
Good bike? Available parts? Anticipated repairs?

This weekend's local Classified Ads listed an " 1983 CB650SC Nighthawk, original owner, 13,000 original-owner miles, good tires, saddle bags, like new condition - $1500" [US$].

My first Honda was a CB77 Superhawk. Still my favorite bike -- alas, it's long gone. Since then, I've mostly ridden vertical twins on the road, and dirt-oriented thumpers, but the Nighthawk has always had considerable appeal for me : compact, retro-classic, minimal "plastic," nimble, decently-low c-g, low-maintenance, and anti-Cruiser .

Was the '83 650 a good Nighthawk model / year ?

How about parts availability in the U.S. (haven't called my Honda parts guy yet)?
What sort of "life" might I expect out of that engine?
What major repairs might I be needing to do at around 13K miles?
Despite the rock-bottom price, might I do better waiting for a significantly newer 750 Nighthawk?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #213
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bob
......What sort of "life" might I expect out of that engine?
Despite the rock-bottom price, might I do better waiting for a significantly newer 750 Nighthawk?
My CB750 Nighthawk just rolled over the 25,000 mile mark this past weekend in Kansas. It has never been in the shop for any kind of problem. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, the air filter once every two years, and add new tires every 7,000. I clean and oil my chain on a regular basis and it still looks like new.
What Im trying to say here is, I dont think it matters what version of the CB you buy as long as it has been taken good care of.
I've seen bikes with less miles than mine on them that are ready for the junk heap.

I rode my Nighthawk into Kansas this past Sunday for a little exploring. Here is a link to where the photos start on the thread. Several of us rode into Kansas as a group then went our own seperate ways so there are photo contributions from the others on the thread as well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...216772&page=23

I get a hard time from other folks on this board because I take such good care of my bike. It still looks as good today as when I took it off the show room floor in 2002. It also still has all the stickers on it that most folks remove right away.
Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 06-04-2007 at 05:03 PM
Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #214
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
This weekend's local Classified Ads listed an " 1983 CB650SC Nighthawk, original owner, 13,000 original-owner miles, good tires, saddle bags, like new condition - $1500" [US$].

My first Honda was a CB77 Superhawk. Still my favorite bike -- alas, it's long gone. Since then, I've mostly ridden vertical twins on the road, and dirt-oriented thumpers, but the Nighthawk has always had considerable appeal for me : compact, retro-classic, minimal "plastic," nimble, decently-low c-g, low-maintenance, and anti-Cruiser .

Was the '83 650 a good Nighthawk model / year ?

How about parts availability in the U.S. (haven't called my Honda parts guy yet)?
What sort of "life" might I expect out of that engine?
No, no, no. Run, don't walk.

I have had 2 of the CB650SOHC models (Why? Because I must be moto-co-dependent). That motor is a bored-out version of the CB500, NOT a sleeved-down version of the venerable 750SOHC. One of the worst motors Honda has ever made. I had one that was leaking from the cam-journal. So my brilliant idea was to take it apart and fix the leak. Simple, right? My instructor at MMI warned me against buying the bike, but I disregarded it. Something about the "head being made out of pewter." In one ear and right out the other his advice went.

I took the first couple of bolts out. The threads and some of the head came out with them. So I thought I would just use my impact driver, surely that would remove the bolts cleanly.

Thank doG I was in school. I used their helicoils and a drill press. I had to helicoil all the holes--28, IIRC. So that's done. Now all I have to do is get a new rubber seal (a preformed o-ring type thing that lays in a channel between the journal halves).

I special-order the seal. I go to put it on, and lo and behold, IT'S THE WRONG SHAPE. No way is it fitting in the channel. So now I'm kinda miffed. I go to the dealer and the parts guy shows me the fiche, of my bike, and other years of motor that were the same. All use the same part number. The part number that was prominently displayed on the tag of the part that didn't fit.

I threw it back together and sold it.

I have never in my life seen a SOHC 650 with any kind of high miles. Plenty of SOHC750's, no 650's.

Please wait for a shaft-drive, DOHC 650. Those had automotive-style alternators and self-adjusting valves. I believe the first year for those was 1984.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #215
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
My CB750 Nighthawk just rolled over the 25,000 mile mark this past weekend in Kansas.

... What Im trying to say here is, I dont think it matters what version of the CB you buy as long as it has been taken good care of.
Thanks, Deadly. Good info.
I also enjoyed your Kansas-trip pictures. When you decide to see some of the real West, p.m. me and I'll try to hook you up with some spectacularly scenic roads (paved or not, your option) in Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker
. . . Please wait for a shaft-drive, DOHC 650. Those had automotive-style alternators and self-adjusting valves. I believe the first year for those was 1984.
Derek -- You've owned 'em; I'm just learning about the Nighthawks. Thanks for the prompt warning.

According to
www.hondabikespecs.com/h0600/nighthaw.html
the '83 CB650SC was a shaft drive bike with a "completely new" 655 cc DOHC engine that had hydraulic self-adjusting valve lifters, oil cooler, hydraulic clutch, dual-disc/twin-caliper front brakes, and 4-into-2 exhaust. (The 1982 was a 627 cc engine w/screen-type valve adjusters and a cable-operated clutch.)

I'm guessing that the 1983 model is the one you're thinking of as the safer/better Nighthawk.

Either way, it's a moot point now. I talked to the owner late this afternoon: he said that he had very few calls, but the first guy who looked at it bought it at the full asking price, because "It was a really, really clean bike -- really nice."

Thanks to all for your help. I'm assuming there's a newer Nighthawk out there with my name on it, when the time's right.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #216
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
I also enjoyed your Kansas-trip pictures. When you decide to see some of the real West, p.m. me and I'll try to hook you up with some spectacularly scenic roads (paved or not, your option) in Idaho.

Derek -- You've owned 'em; I'm just learning about the Nighthawks. Thanks for the prompt warning.

According to
www.hondabikespecs.com/h0600/nighthaw.html
the '83 CB650SC was a shaft drive bike with a "completely new" 655 cc DOHC engine that had hydraulic self-adjusting valve lifters, oil cooler, hydraulic clutch, dual-disc/twin-caliper front brakes, and 4-into-2 exhaust. (The 1982 was a 627 cc engine w/screen-type valve adjusters and a cable-operated clutch.)

I'm guessing that the 1983 model is the one you're thinking of as the safer/better Nighthawk.

Either way, it's a moot point now. I talked to the owner late this afternoon: he said that he had very few calls, but the first guy who looked at it bought it at the full asking price, because "It was a really, really clean bike -- really nice."

Thanks to all for your help. I'm assuming there's a newer Nighthawk out there with my name on it, when the time's right.
All of the shafties are great and the late-model chain-drive ones are great.

The CB900 S and C seem to be unkillable. I've heard some grumbles about the first-model DOHC chain drive 750's though.

If you see a NH450 (parallel twin), and you need something to ride around town on, those are GREAT motors too.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #217
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Deadly Combination

"What Im trying to say here is, I dont think it matters what version of the CB you buy as long as it has been taken good care of."

Richard,

What rack and bag combination is that on your bike?

Thanks.

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #218
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbob
.....What rack and bag combination is that on your bike?
Its the factory Hondaline backrest made for the 92' - 03' Nighthawk 750. Here is where I bought all of my factory add-ons for my Nighthawk back in 02'.

http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi...ml?id=tEW8uDMe

The luggage is from TourMaster. I bought mine several years ago but here is a link to the update version of the same bag. It comes with a barrel bag that mounts to the top but I dont use it unless I really need the extra storage.
Mine is the Large size if I remember correctly.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...668&Division=6

If you look close you can see a simple saddle bag mouting system I machined and powder coated.

Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 06-06-2007 at 10:02 AM
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #219
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Here is a better view of one of my saddlebag brackets.

When Im not using them for saddlebags I have these polished aluminum tabs screwed onto the ends of the brackets so I can use them as cargo tie downs.

When I want to add the saddlebags, I remove the silver tabs held on by two stainless steel cap screws and an 1/8" aluminum plate screws on it its place to hold my TourMaster nylon saddle bags in place.
I didnt want these brackets to scatch up the tie down rail built onto the bike so I machined a set of white nylon bushings to protect the rail when I clamped the mounts on.
I built these for my Nighthawk because I didnt like the idea of my saddlebags laying accross the passenger seat.

The large stainless steel bolt on the underside of the bracket is where the top part of my trailer hitch mounts up when Im using it.

Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 06-06-2007 at 09:05 AM
Old 06-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #220
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Idaho?...Hmmmm, Have you done much riding in BC, Canada? I have been wanting to head up that way sometime and go through BC and to Hyder, Alaska (I have never been that far north).
I was going to try and do this trip in 2008 but Im going to be buying a second motorcycle next year (small duel sport) which might cancel my trip due to lack of funds.
But, If I do get up that way I will PM you.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #221
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
Idaho?...Hmmmm, Have you done much riding in BC, Canada? I have been wanting to head up that way sometime and go through BC and to Hyder, Alaska (I have never been that far north).
I was going to try and do this trip in 2008 but Im going to be buying a second motorcycle next year (small duel sport) which might cancel my trip due to lack of funds.
But, If I do get up that way I will PM you.
One of these days . . .
I only been in Idaho for 9 years. With 69% of this huge state in public lands (6000 named mountains!), I haven't found time to get across the northern border yet, except in my Jeep. My wish list still has about 500 nearby trail rides awaiting their turn . . .
Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #222
endlos
Banned

Oddometer: 85
well as soon as i ridicule some schmo on another forum about how he regularly snaps clutch cables i snap mine. never happened before, and i pulled that bitch out and found a HORRIBLY rusted kink in it - that was why it was so hard to pull in in the first place. so i shortened the housing and reattached the shortened cable, drilled a hole through an old lever and bolted the wire to it, it snapped at the end, not where the housing was total shit, go figure. anyhow, moral to the story is, no one carries that cable in stock anywhere near me, i can fix anything, and im wondering if anyone knows offhand which other model bikes cables will swap out with this on, or even have part numbers.

in other news, my return spring is hosed, and it slipped out of 4th 3 times, i broke the masterlink on the chain, now thats wired, and i still havent popped the front end to determine the cause of the progressively worse oscillation issues.

does anyone else pretend their nighthawk is a sportbike, or is it just me? im usually right up there at the top of the rpm, spinning the rear coming into every turn.....
endlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #223
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlos
well as soon as i ridicule some schmo on another forum about how he regularly snaps clutch cables i snap mine. never happened before, and i pulled that bitch out and found a HORRIBLY rusted kink in it - that was why it was so hard to pull in in the first place. so i shortened the housing and reattached the shortened cable, drilled a hole through an old lever and bolted the wire to it, it snapped at the end, not where the housing was total shit, go figure. anyhow, moral to the story is, no one carries that cable in stock anywhere near me, i can fix anything, and im wondering if anyone knows offhand which other model bikes cables will swap out with this on, or even have part numbers.

in other news, my return spring is hosed, and it slipped out of 4th 3 times, i broke the masterlink on the chain, now thats wired, and i still havent popped the front end to determine the cause of the progressively worse oscillation issues.

does anyone else pretend their nighthawk is a sportbike, or is it just me? im usually right up there at the top of the rpm, spinning the rear coming into every turn.....

Wow, that's some bad luck! .... I have never had any of those problems yet, so I dont have any solutions.

Im heading for south Missouri at noon today. Im going to make a two day trip out of it and will post a few photos when I get back.

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Old 06-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #224
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlos
Does anyone else pretend their nighthawk is a sportbike, or is it just me? im usually right up there at the top of the rpm, spinning the rear coming into every turn.....
Spinning the wheel coming into a turn is quite a different riding stlye.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #225
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

I started off just heading for south MO but ended up riding down into Oklahoma. I found this cool World War II submarine sitting in a field next to the Arkansas River.
This was fun to explore, Im going to do a ride report later next week I think.

Attached Images

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website