Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #2731
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
What do you guys think about a 91 Nighthawk 750 in great cosmetic shape for $500? The catch, is that it won't start. Current owner claims he just bought a battery but it won't start. He thinks it may be an electrical issue but doesn't know.
Sounds like a hell of a deal if the engine isn't seized and you don't mind doing a little work to troubleshoot.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #2732
Louisiana Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
What do you guys think about a 91 Nighthawk 750 in great cosmetic shape for $500? The catch, is that it won't start. Current owner claims he just bought a battery but it won't start. He thinks it may be an electrical issue but doesn't know.
Check that darn kill switch by the throttle!!
Louisiana Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #2733
Suva

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Even if something serious was wrong with the motor you can get complete running engines for 3-500+freight (if needed)on Egay, then you can sell the good parts off yours to help with the cost. I'd be willing to bet it needs the carbs cleaned or something stupid like that though.
Suva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #2734
Miscellanies
n00b

Oddometer: 5
New.

Hi all. New here.

Before posting my question, which is the reason I finally came out of the troll cave, allow me to introduce myself:

I've had a 1993 750 for the past two years, and have ridden close to 360 days each year. It has been (obviously) rock solid. I've done Progressive front and rear, Hodge Mod, washer-carb-needle lift, and a few other things. Here's a pic from the first few weeks I had her (him? I think I imagine a him).

I've read most of the thread already, and have been tremendously helped by several of the posts (especially the post w/ pictures and measurements for doing the Progressive front springs; I've forgotten the poster). I'll ask my question in another reply.

Thanks for a great thread!
Miscellanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #2735
Miscellanies
n00b

Possibly cooked something electronic....

Hi all:

So, this afternoon I was leisurely doing a little fun project on the Nighthawk. Some two or three months ago I had lost my only key to the bike, and had subsequently hotwired the ignition. Well, I've kept it that way since then, and have been meaning to install a hidden switch at some point. I went out today to finally tackle it—no lifting, nothing broken, no expensive parts, no sweating or swearing. I was feeling good. Well, I picked a location for the switch and went about splicing some 12 guage from the wires that I had been using to hotwire the bike (incidentally, they are the two wires that go into the locking mechanism of the ignition switch; I'd pulled them out and would twist them together when I needed to go. I know.). Anyway, I attached one of my new wires to the old one sticking out, and then the unthinkable happened.

Unthinkable because I don't KNOW what happened. The dangling wire bounced against the engine case (either right at the entrance to the shifter or over the stator). There were some small sparks and pops. I thought "Oh that was stupid" and remedied the situation by removing the wire nut, and putting the live wires out of the way. I then went about threading the wires through the frame to the location of the switch, attached them to the switch, fastened the switch, etc. etc. etc., and cleaned it up.

I then RE-attached the wires to the exposed hot-wiring-wires, and flipped the switch. Nothing. I removed the wires and tried hotwiring it again.

Nothing.

I checked all the fuses (as far as I know), and they all appeared good.

Uh oh.

I think I fried something internally when the wire bounced against the casing. Does anyone have any idea what that might have been?

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. I checked the battery independently of the bike and it's still good.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #2736
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miscellanies View Post
Hi all:

So, this afternoon I was leisurely doing a little fun project on the Nighthawk. Some two or three months ago I had lost my only key to the bike, and had subsequently hotwired the ignition. Well, I've kept it that way since then, and have been meaning to install a hidden switch at some point. I went out today to finally tackle it—no lifting, nothing broken, no expensive parts, no sweating or swearing. I was feeling good. Well, I picked a location for the switch and went about splicing some 12 guage from the wires that I had been using to hotwire the bike (incidentally, they are the two wires that go into the locking mechanism of the ignition switch; I'd pulled them out and would twist them together when I needed to go. I know.). Anyway, I attached one of my new wires to the old one sticking out, and then the unthinkable happened.

Unthinkable because I don't KNOW what happened. The dangling wire bounced against the engine case (either right at the entrance to the shifter or over the stator). There were some small sparks and pops. I thought "Oh that was stupid" and remedied the situation by removing the wire nut, and putting the live wires out of the way. I then went about threading the wires through the frame to the location of the switch, attached them to the switch, fastened the switch, etc. etc. etc., and cleaned it up.

I then RE-attached the wires to the exposed hot-wiring-wires, and flipped the switch. Nothing. I removed the wires and tried hotwiring it again.

Nothing.

I checked all the fuses (as far as I know), and they all appeared good.

Uh oh.

I think I fried something internally when the wire bounced against the casing. Does anyone have any idea what that might have been?

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. I checked the battery independently of the bike and it's still good.
First off, welcome to ADV Rider.

I took a look in my Clymer manual and looked over my bike. The only thing that I could spot is that there is a 30 amp Main fuse that is located in the wiring behind the battery.. (NOT in the Fuse box, The 30 amp fuse in the primary fuse box is a SPARE.. The main fuse should be located in the main lead off of the battery and is well hidden. On my Nighthawk it is a small red cap that is located near the first termination of the positive battery lead after the battery (sandwiched between several wires and plugs)..
I hope that this helps..
1990 XR250

redneckmech screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 06:54 PM
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #2737
Miscellanies
n00b

Thank you!

That was exactly it! I didn't know there were more fuses outside the fuse box.

Rednecktech, if I were wealthy, and if I could send beer virtually via the interwebs, you would never thirst again.

Seriously: thank you. There is nothing better than thinking you'll have to replace a stator or somesuch and then being told that there's another fuse....

So: cool secret kill switch installed, and went for a long "errand" around the lake to "test" the switch. (Which works perfectly.)

Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #2738
Louisiana Rider
Adventurer

Quote:

Rednecktech, if I were wealthy, and if I could send beer virtually via the interwebs, you would never thirst again.

Seriously: thank you. There is nothing better than thinking you'll have to replace a stator or somesuch and then being told that there's another fuse....

So: cool secret kill switch installed, and went for a long "errand" around the lake to "test" the switch. (Which works perfectly.)

Thanks again.
Can you tell me step by step how to get to that fuse?
I have tried repeatedly to get that red fuse cover off,with no luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #2739
Miscellanies
n00b

Sure thing. When I go out to the garage later today, I'll take some pictures and describe the process. No magic, just a little of a tight fit. The little cover on the fuse snaps off, but I had to tug and jiggle it a bit to get it to come off.

I'll post later today.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #2740
redneckmech
Hooked on 2 wheels..

Oddometer: 156
Quote:

Thanks again.
GREAT!! I am glad that I was able to help, and glad your Nighthawk is running again.... As it happens, I will be working on mine today to install a new front tire, I ran the old one much longer than I should have...
1990 XR250
redneckmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #2741
Miscellanies
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisiana Rider View Post
Can you tell me step by step how to get to that fuse?
I have tried repeatedly to get that red fuse cover off,with no luck.
Hmm... the digital camera has gone missing. In the morning, I'll ask "she-who-knows-where-everything-is."

Meanwhile, here's a words-only edition.

1. I removed the seat and right side cover.
2. I disconnected the battery and set it aside (this created more room, and might be the step you need).
3. I attempted to remove the fuse where it was, and I couldn't because the frame was in the way.
4. I tugged at the whole contraption that the fuse was attached to until I got it worked out into the open. This involved pulling past a rubber box type holder dealy. It was a tight fit, but no big deal.
5. Once it's in the open, it's easy to remove. But remember, the little red (or faded pink in my case) cover on top of the fuse also covers the rest of the little "dealy." So, I used needle-nosed pliers to hold down the tabs and give it an initial tug, and then I just kind of ranked on the whole thing until it slid loose.
6. I changed the fuse, rejoiced, and drank a beer.

Good luck, and let me know when you get it, or if you have any more questions, or if pictures would still be helpful.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #2742
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
I hate to do it, but my 1982 Nighthawk 750 is up in the Flea Market if anyone is interested. Click here for the ridiculously long FM ad!

TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #2743
Louisiana Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Hmm... the digital camera has gone missing. In the morning, I'll ask "she-who-knows-where-everything-is."
Good luck, and let me know when you get it, or if you have any more questions, or if pictures would still be helpful.

Thanks for the walk through!
Good thing my fuse is still good,because it still won't come off!
mod
Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #2744
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Anyone know how many psi the air assist fork on an '84 CB450SC wants? My fork is feeling a little soft and I want to check the press and add if required. Muchas Gracias compadres!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #2745
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paisano View Post
Anyone know how many psi the air assist fork on an '84 CB450SC wants? My fork is feeling a little soft and I want to check the press and add if required. Muchas Gracias compadres!
0 - 6 PSi

Which is about 10 pumps on a small hand held bicycle pump or a quick flick on and off of a electrical tyre inflater.

A better idea may be to change the fork fluid if you haven't done it recently.
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote