Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #3136
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 597
Thanks RABBIT and Creaky! Went with my gut last night and shimmed the needle. Holy smokes... Completely different bike. No more messing with the choke all day, no more stutters and no more high idle because of dicking with the choke. Prefect bike now, thought I liked it before. Now I do believe its love

Thanks for the tip Rabbit!

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #3137
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

That's awesome!... The Wee Hawk gang is now two members strong.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #3138
RABBIT170
CB750 Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Thanks RABBIT and Creaky! Went with my gut last night and shimmed the needle. Holy smokes... Completely different bike. No more messing with the choke all day, no more stutters and no more high idle because of dicking with the choke. Prefect bike now, thought I liked it before. Now I do believe its love

Thanks for the tip Rabbit!
Awesome!
2002 Nighthawk 250
RABBIT170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #3139
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the Hondaline windshield for a 91-03 750?
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #3140
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the Hondaline windshield for a 91-03 750?
I put a national cycle streetshield ex on mine and really like it. Good service too.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #3141
Pez
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
That's awesome!... The Wee Hawk gang is now two members strong.

Hell yeah! We're taking over

Old 02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #3142
rchstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Still pretty even when dirty...

Hit 53 this afternoon, so of course I rode for couple of hrs today. Love this bike, If moisture holds off this week, I'll get some commute time in this week. Upper 40's low 50's all week ! After much agonizing, pulled the trigger on Motocentric Saddles and Roll Tail Bags. I get so tired of having a backpack hang off of me. Attended Bike Expo in Indy this weekend, was interesting but way too crowded. I picked up a pair of cold weather Thinsulate Gauntlet style gloves(needed them) and some new Rain Gear from the Dryer Honda exhibit. Was really looking to see some up close softbag solutions, but none were to be found. I like hard case setups, but the racking and mounting systems are getting near impossible to find. I've all but given up on an OEM hondaline backrest. I'll go for the Mutazu knock off before the summer, so wifey will feel more comfortable on the back. Wish list now includes Progressives front and back, 1" Risers, Washer and Hodge Exhuast Nods (Yeah Steve, I'll need help), Center Stand, Engine Guards and forward pegs...
rchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #3143
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
Here's a how-to on shimming the needles.

http://www.nighthawk750.com/mods/carbneedlemod.html
Does anyone know if this mod is do able on an '84 450 nighthawk? Thnks
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #3144
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paisano View Post
Does anyone know if this mod is do able on an '84 450 nighthawk? Thnks
Drilling the slide vent holes and shimming the needle can be done on any CV carb. I have done it on some dirt bikes too.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #3145
RABBIT170
CB750 Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchstar View Post
Hit 53 this afternoon, so of course I rode for couple of hrs today. Love this bike, If moisture holds off this week, I'll get some commute time in this week. Upper 40's low 50's all week ! After much agonizing, pulled the trigger on Motocentric Saddles and Roll Tail Bags. I get so tired of having a backpack hang off of me. Attended Bike Expo in Indy this weekend, was interesting but way too crowded. I picked up a pair of cold weather Thinsulate Gauntlet style gloves(needed them) and some new Rain Gear from the Dryer Honda exhibit. Was really looking to see some up close softbag solutions, but none were to be found. I like hard case setups, but the racking and mounting systems are getting near impossible to find. I've all but given up on an OEM hondaline backrest. I'll go for the Mutazu knock off before the summer, so wifey will feel more comfortable on the back. Wish list now includes Progressives front and back, 1" Risers, Washer and Hodge Exhuast Nods (Yeah Steve, I'll need help), Center Stand, Engine Guards and forward pegs...
Do live close to Fort Wayne?
If so I could help you with the Washer and Hodge Exhuast mods.
2002 Nighthawk 250
RABBIT170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #3146
rchstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks Rabbit, but I'm on the Westside of Indy, Got a buddy that restores and rebuilds vintage bikes. He's gonna get me through the mods...I have a feeling the carb linkages need some tweaking or at least some lube. It's slow to rev back down and all throttle cabling seems as it should be
82 Honda VT750C Shadow; 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk
rchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #3147
Pez
b00b

Gotta show off my baby again! She looks so beautiful after spending the past couple of days exploring the wilderness IMO Although she is clean compared to a normal day

Sorry for the low res picture, it was taken with my 15 dollar phone. But its my faviorate picture yet

Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #3148
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Gotta show off my baby again! She looks so beautiful after spending the past couple of days exploring the wilderness IMO Although she is clean compared to a normal day

Sorry for the low res picture, it was taken with my 15 dollar phone. But its my faviorate picture yet
How do you feel about the brakes and suspension?

Ever since I took the MSF course I loved them, they feel perfect to me, but I haven't ridden one on the streets and I always read complaints about terrible braking and the outdated front suspension being "dangerous" because it wasn't as smooth as other "modern" bikes.

I've always wanted to pick one up for cheap and throw some clip on or low bars and a cheap exhaust on it, then just blast around town.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3149
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
How do you feel about the brakes and suspension?

Ever since I took the MSF course I loved them, they feel perfect to me, but I haven't ridden one on the streets and I always read complaints about terrible braking and the outdated front suspension being "dangerous" because it wasn't as smooth as other "modern" bikes.

I've always wanted to pick one up for cheap and throw some clip on or low bars and a cheap exhaust on it, then just blast around town.
I can't see the pic due to my work server settings, but I assume is the 250 Nighthawk you are discussing.

I love mine, put more than 35,000 miles on it. The brakes are pretty terrible and so is the suspension.I don't ride much faster than 65 mph, I think that the aforementioned brakes and suspension are adequate for this.

You also get a very high sensation of speed, going into a corner the bike moves around a lot more than a modern bike, you feel like you are really moving.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #3150
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I've made a point of not cultivating expensive tastes in my life, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I don't have a problem with my brakes or suspension. I ride it, it gets me from a to b, and the the brakes stop me when i apply them. Honestly, when i hear that the brakes are horrible, I wonder what I'm missing, because mine seem to do there job fine. I guess the best bikes i've had were some old airhead bmw's and the best was a mint sr500 and I don't remember any of those being tons better.
ivantheterrible is online now   Reply With Quote