Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #3151
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Ever since I took the MSF course I loved them, they feel perfect to me, but I haven't ridden one on the streets and I always read complaints about terrible braking and the outdated front suspension being "dangerous" because it wasn't as smooth as other "modern" bikes.

I've always wanted to pick one up for cheap and throw some clip on or low bars and a cheap exhaust on it, then just blast around town.
DO IT! Before I bought my TU250, I was considering picking up a 250 Nighthawk off Craigslist for around $1500 and painting it in 70's rootbeer metalflake and just riding the hell out of it...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #3152
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I got mine for $800 with only 3500 on it. I'm turning it into a scrambler /dessert sled kinda thing. I'll post pics it I ever get around to getting a picture account.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #3153
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I've made a point of not cultivating expensive tastes in my life, so I don't have much to compare it to, but I don't have a problem with my brakes or suspension. I ride it, it gets me from a to b, and the the brakes stop me when i apply them. Honestly, when i hear that the brakes are horrible, I wonder what I'm missing, because mine seem to do there job fine. I guess the best bikes i've had were some old airhead bmw's and the best was a mint sr500 and I don't remember any of those being tons better.
Try a modern style bike with discs and you will notice a big difference. Especially when you are as portly as I.

That being said, I LOVE the Wee Nighthawk. LOVE IT!
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #3154
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 621
Diggn the Wee Hawk love today

But the brakes and suspension are old technology. Not the best compared to the "normal" modern bikes, but they do their job very well for what the bike is, a 250cc commuter. Overall its a great bike and the brakes and suspension have caused me no problems or concerns. If I ever buy another bike it will be another Wee Hawk.

I'd imagine a Rebels disc brake would be a easy swap if you’re not digging the drum on the front of WeeHawk

Edit: While searching for articles on swapping the Rebel disc brakes over to the WeeHawk I found little other than the whole fork will swap with relative ease. No hard evidence but its a start.

I did find this article written by a bloke somewhere in Europe describing his opinions on the CB250N sold in the Euro market
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...a_cb250_92.htm

A message for all of Humanity

1999 XR650L For Sale $2k obo

Pez screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 07:08 PM
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #3155
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
the rebel and lil' hawk won't swap. different fork diameters. I think the honda 185 something or another will swap though.

Meter man- that's why I don't try a modern bike- I don't want to know! But seriously, I did ride a ninja 500 for a while and a klr, neither of which are known for there brakes or suspension (except in a negative way, in the case of the klr) but they were modernish, but I don't remember them being better. I am getting old, and my brain doesn't work to well, so there's that!
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #3156
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
the rebel and lil' hawk won't swap. different fork diameters. I think the honda 185 something or another will swap though.

Meter man- that's why I don't try a modern bike- I don't want to know! But seriously, I did ride a ninja 500 for a while and a klr, neither of which are known for there brakes or suspension (except in a negative way, in the case of the klr) but they were modernish, but I don't remember them being better. I am getting old, and my brain doesn't work to well, so there's that!
Someone on the Yahoo Group did the swap. If I remember correctly there was some fabrication. I think they used the entire front end of the Rebel. The thread should still be there somewhere.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #3157
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Someone on the Yahoo Group did the swap. If I remember correctly there was some fabrication. I think they used the entire front end of the Rebel. The thread should still be there somewhere.
This si what I found a while back why digging.

The forks are bigger on the rebel, but the head I think is the same.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #3158
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 621
That all makes a lot more sense. Nothing ever swaps easy!

Glad ya'll know what yer doin'

A message for all of Humanity

1999 XR650L For Sale $2k obo
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #3159
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,317
I wonder if an FT500 Ascot front end would fit?

It has disc brakes but not a huge difference in fork tube diameter.
In fact it uses the same left side caliper and pads as a CB650SC Nighthawk.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 04:18 PM
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #3160
truck6driver
The Fireman

Well I hate to do it but I really need a dual sport to ride with my son again so I have put my 83' CB650SC up for sale in the Flea Market. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771652

This is the bike I did the Titanium R1 muffler conversion on.

Unless someone has a dual sport they want to give me so I can keep her.........

Ray
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #3161
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTIRD View Post
It's a fun project. Put a towel down over your tank and head light so you don't bugger them up.
Back to report...

The Protaper bar install went pretty much as expected. I did sand out the inside of the enricher lever a bit, but when I tried to put the oxford heated grips back on, there was no way that was going to happen. Must be a smidgen smaller than stock.

I ended up filing down the knurling on the bar, not completly, but pretty much got rid of all the "peaks". Grips went on pretty smoothly after that.

They sure felt wider than stock, but about a thousand miles, I don't notice it a bit. The wrist angle is *much* better, and I'm much more comfortable on the bike now. Should've done it years ago!

Thanks for the comments and tips!
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #3162
onewheeltwo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Sorry for the low res picture, it was taken with my 15 dollar phone. But its my faviorate picture yet
May be a cheap camera, but it's actually nicely composed. Nice photo!
onewheeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #3163
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 352
I sent Truck6driver a PM on his NH, but in the meantime I'm checking to make sure I could ride one comfortably. I am 6'3" w' a 32-34 inseam. Will I be able to ride a NH comfortably? I have not had a chance to sit on one but the ones I have seen seem like the seat is a little on the low side.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #3164
truck6driver
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
I sent Truck6driver a PM on his NH, but in the meantime I'm checking to make sure I could ride one comfortably. I am 6'3" w' a 32-34 inseam. Will I be able to ride a NH comfortably? I have not had a chance to sit on one but the ones I have seen seem like the seat is a little on the low side.
Jocassee,

PM with my phone # sent.

I have a 32" inseam but I'm only 5'9" The hwy pegs are nice to have.

I'm 45 miles from the SC line but I don't know where you live so....

Come test ride it and see if it fits you. If it doesn't then you can look for something that does. I won't hurt my feelings.

Maybe someone has one closer to you that you can test ride. I know gas is expensive. Thats why I ride the bikes everyday and leave the car/truck at home.

Ray
Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #3165
truck6driver
The Fireman

Hey Guys,

Anyone around Greenville SC that has a CB650SC or CB700SC that inmate "jocassee" could sit on to check peg placement. He is interested in buying mine but is 4 hours away. If it won't fit him I don't him to waist 8 hour round trip just to look at my bike.

Thank guys

Ray