Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #3196
CLINTIRD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
30 - fused power from battery. (use recommended amperage fuse from piaa)
85 - relay to ground.
86 - wire that was connected from old horn.
87 & 87 - from relay to new horns...ground new horns...they might need to be grounded to the main frame...the head light ears might not be grounded well enough to complete the circuit. You might be able to use the head light bulb circuit ground inside the head light bucket.

That's how I'd wire it. Again good luck, hopefully nothing got damaged in the power spike.
CLINTIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #3197
CLINTIRD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Find out which one of the old horn leads is power and which is ground. Just run the one of those wires as the trigger wire.
CLINTIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #3198
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Thanks for that man. Right now I'm blowing main fuses like crazy. The bike ran when I took everything apart but I'm still wrong somewhere. Relay might be bunk. I have the horns grounded to themselves as per the instructions, gonna change that.

Test light to figure out which horn lead is pos and which is neg?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #3199
Louisiana Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I read through a few errors,so here goes:
The relay is a magnetic switch
85 and 86 turn on the magnet witch connects 30 and 87.
when the magnet is off 30 is then connected to 87A
So,the 2 wires leading to the original horn go to 85 and 86
30 goes to your battery through a fuse
the new horns positive wire will go to 87
ground the new horns to the frame or a suitable ground.
Now when you press the horn button the relay clicks on connecting your battery to the new horns.
mod
Louisiana Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #3200
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

I went and checked the ground on the horns, good ground, so no problem there. I crossed the fused power to the output to the horns and the horns sounded, so that's good. When I get home from work tonight I 'm going to open the headlight bucket and trace the horn leads. I believe my mistake was in hooking up the old wires that hooked up to the old horn. The wires that came out of the harness under the tank on the left side of the bike.

Next upgrade, new fuse block. These glass tube fuses suck.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #3201
Edvvard
intrigued n00b

Oddometer: 3
Obsessed with getting one.

No riding experience, but I'm obsessed with these now after reading this topic.

I'm hoping I like it enough to want to ride down to see my buddy at Eglin Air Force Base from Wright Patt Air Force base up here in Dayton.
Edvvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #3202
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvvard View Post
No riding experience, but I'm obsessed with these now after reading this topic.

I'm hoping I like it enough to want to ride down to see my buddy at Eglin Air Force Base from Wright Patt Air Force base up here in Dayton.
Edvvard, so you have no riding experience at all? First step? Find someone who loves you enough to take you to an empty parking lot (schools on weekends are good) and let you ride around at low speeds on their bike. Wear a helmet! That goes for all the time, even after you've been riding for years. You probably think it's a "no brainer" and any fool can do it. It's not. It's not like riding a bicycle. It's not like driving a car. Even if you can drive a standard shift car, shifting a bike is a different animal. Still like it after doing this? Get your temps and start looking for a MSF safety course in your area. Take it. When it comes time to buy a bike, buy something cheap but reliable. Don't worry about looks. You're going to drop it
(you will, trust me). You don't want a pretty new bike you're gonna get all banged up. I would recommend something 450cc or less. I know this sounds small but it will still go as fast as you need to go until you've been riding for sometime (a good year or more). Here endeth the lesson.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #3203
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Edvvard, so you have no riding experience at all? First step? Find someone who loves you enough to take you to an empty parking lot (schools on weekends are good) and let you ride around at low speeds on their bike. Wear a helmet! That goes for all the time, even after you've been riding for years. You probably think it's a "no brainer" and any fool can do it. It's not. It's not like riding a bicycle. It's not like driving a car. Even if you can drive a standard shift car, shifting a bike is a different animal. Still like it after doing this? Get your temps and start looking for a MSF safety course in your area. Take it. When it comes time to buy a bike, buy something cheap but reliable. Don't worry about looks. You're going to drop it
(you will, trust me). You don't want a pretty new bike you're gonna get all banged up. I would recommend something 450cc or less. I know this sounds small but it will still go as fast as you need to go until you've been riding for sometime (a good year or more). Here endeth the lesson.
For truth. I've been riding my first bike for almost five years, an 84 450 Nighthawk. Cheap, reliable, fast enough and it's got a lot of personality. I could go out and buy a bigger bike, but I'm really cheap. These bikes are awesome.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #3204
Edvvard
intrigued n00b

Good idea

Quote:
I think can find someone who'd let me do that...

I didn't mean to make it sound like I can jump on and get going. I'm Going to take it as easy and slow as I can within reason. As far as gear goes, I have already started looking into the equipment to make sure I'm somewhat well protected before I do anything.

Edvvard screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 06:07 PM Reason: addition
Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #3205
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
I think can find someone who'd let me do that...

I didn't mean to make it sound like I can jump on and get going. I'm Going to take it as easy and slow as I can within reason. As far as gear goes, I have already started looking into the equipment to make sure I'm somewhat well protected before I do anything.
That is good to hear. I mentioned a helmet (which is a must IMHO) but failed to mention gloves, strudy shoes and pants. I have leathers but have to admit I don't wear them as much as I used to. Just glad to hear you are receptive to these things. So many n00bs think they need a sportbike for their first bike and can ride with shorts, flip-flops and cut off t-shirts.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #3206
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Tools

Hey guys,

I was just curios as to what tools you guys carry with you and your nighthawk when you tour. I figure some of you have some good experience with break downs and must have tools.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #3207
Edvvard
intrigued n00b

Quote:
That is good to hear. I mentioned a helmet (which is a must IMHO) but failed to mention gloves, strudy shoes and pants. I have leathers but have to admit I don't wear them as much as I used to. Just glad to hear you are receptive to these things. So many n00bs think they need a sportbike for their first bike and can ride with shorts, flip-flops and cut off t-shirts.
Yep. I just love the Nighthawks and KLR 650's and want one in a bad way.

I was thinking I would get a Full face helmet, some gloves, a jacket, and obviously pants/boots before I start riding on anything other than the street I live on. I do NOT want to become a statistic or a story that is told to warn new motorcyclists!

I often wonder about this particular point... It gets up to 90* around here with humidity quite a few days in the summer. Would you still need a jacket at that point to protect you not only from the road, but from the wind on you?

Edvvard screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 06:29 PM Reason: Question.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #3208
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Yep. I just love the Nighthawks and KLR 650's and want one in a bad way.

I was thinking I would get a Full face helmet, some gloves, a jacket, and obviously pants/boots before I start riding on anything other than the street I live on. I do NOT want to become a statistic or a story that is told to warn new motorcyclists!

I often wonder about this particular point... It gets up to 90* around here with humidity quite a few days in the summer. Would you still need a jacket at that point to protect you not only from the road, but from the wind on you?
Mesh jacket - check motorcycle gear.com. They frequently have some good deals and are a quality company. I got a nice Joe Rocket Honda jacket from them last year for $50. Mesh pants were a little more. Lot of folks find things on ebay. Patience pays there.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #3209
rchstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Backrest/Motocentric softsides installed

New Mutazu backrest and Motocentric Sport Soft Sides, like...!! Got matching Roll Tail bag as well. These bags are great! Sturdy, well made, so easy to place,mount, load, remove etc...
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...355&s=prod.php

http://www.motocentric.com/

82 Honda VT750C Shadow; 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk
rchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #3210
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Much thanks to all who gave me guidance on my dual Fiamm highway blaster install. I got the bike back together and running tonight. Loud horns save lives!