Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #3451
HalcyonDaze
Great Unwashed Mass

Oddometer: 2,143
Try "ad hunt'r"- it's the nationwide craigslist search site. I just checked and there are a few in your general region.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #3452
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalcyonDaze View Post
Try "ad hunt'r"- it's the nationwide craigslist search site. I just checked and there are a few in your general region.
Thanks!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #3453
The Kurgan
Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer: 349
In case anybody is looking...

http://searchck.com

Type: "Honda Nighthawk 750" in search box.

Currently, there are 10 pages of Nighthawks across the USA, some are in pristine condition, with low mileage and expensive extras (like Corbin seats)... prices are usually under $3000, with many hovering around $2000 or less!

Like these (and plenty more):
http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3206858915.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3253006567.html
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3252929774.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3252830914.html
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3218839901.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3241350204.html

I might be biased, but the 1991-2003 Honda Nighthawk 750 is the best all-around motorcycle you can buy for under $3000.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S, 1975 Honda CB500T (two of them)
1984 Yamaha Riva 180
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #3454
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
well my cheap nighthawk isn't going to work out so cheap at all....

When the bike gets warm it blows white smoke, clearly the previous owner and I disagree on the meaning of the term 'blows no smoke'.... otherwise the bike runs great but I think I'm up for some fairly expensive engine work.

So rings and pistons but is there anything else that I should look for (or get the shop to look for) while the engine is apart that might have caused this besides just having a lot of miles.

Advice, ideas and suggestions appreciated, I figure on the upside I'll know the bike fairly well by the time I'm done
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #3455
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
well my cheap nighthawk isn't going to work out so cheap at all....

When the bike gets warm it blows white smoke, clearly the previous owner and I disagree on the meaning of the term 'blows no smoke'.... otherwise the bike runs great but I think I'm up for some fairly expensive engine work.

So rings and pistons but is there anything else that I should look for (or get the shop to look for) while the engine is apart that might have caused this besides just having a lot of miles.

Advice, ideas and suggestions appreciated, I figure on the upside I'll know the bike fairly well by the time I'm done
Might as well check valve guides and valve seals while you are in there. They both can contribute to oil consumption.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #3456
Mz660
Rydethere

Oddometer: 333
The V-strom windscreen never worked great on the V-strom, but here it seems to do fairly well..... Still working on the angle.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #3457
Mz660
Rydethere

Oddometer: 333
Now where do I get that ADV sticker?
Mz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #3458
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz660 View Post
Now where do I get that ADV sticker?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257578

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #3459
51D7H3K1D
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Eek What could be the problem...

Im looking into buying a 1994 NH 250. Its 'running' but the engine stalls out or bogs down whenever you try shifting it into gear (according to the owner). If it is choked just right it can ride, but very sluggishly. The owner seemed to think it was a carb problem, maybe to do with the accelerator pump?

I, having no experience, have no clue if he is correct or not, and know even less about how to rectify the problem.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated! It probably wont affect my buying decision (I'm willing to get my hands dirty) but it would be nice to know what I'm getting into and even nicer to know how to get her purring real nice.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #3460
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51D7H3K1D View Post
Im looking into buying a 1994 NH 250. Its 'running' but the engine stalls out or bogs down whenever you try shifting it into gear (according to the owner). If it is choked just right it can ride, but very sluggishly. The owner seemed to think it was a carb problem, maybe to do with the accelerator pump?

I, having no experience, have no clue if he is correct or not, and know even less about how to rectify the problem.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated! It probably wont affect my buying decision (I'm willing to get my hands dirty) but it would be nice to know what I'm getting into and even nicer to know how to get her purring real nice.

Thanks!
Sounds exactly how my 250 was acting. A carb rebuild cured the problem but I'd suggest doing the "washer mod" while your in there. Night and day difference in the bikes performance.

Edit: Tried googling something informative about the "washer mod" aka shimming the needle but came up with zip. But heres a picture of where the washer will go.

^ All of which is accessed by removing the 4 tiny phillips head screws and removing the top plate on the carb. Take a phillips head screw driver and insert it into the needle holder, push down and turn left. It will pop off, then pull the needle out. Slide washer onto needle and re-assemble. Washer can be found at Ace Hardware, don't remember the size but just bring in your needle and the smallest washer you can find that has the tightest fit on the needle will do. Mine was close but not snug and was about as thick as a quarter.

Oh and welcome to the WeeHawk club!

A message for all of Humanity

Pez screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 11:20 PM
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #3461
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51D7H3K1D View Post

Thanks!
Also make sure the boots going from the carb to the airbox are soft rubber--exposure to the elements hardens the material and then you won't get a good seal. Also the manifold from the carb to the motor shouldn't be cracked--that can also let air in.

The reason it runs good on the choke is that you're running lean. Either this is the result of a plugged pilot jet (just buy a new jet when you get the carb apart, only costs $5-7), or air entering the system at another place besides the air filter.

derek

Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #3462
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
noises...

96 nighthawk 750 - making some strange noises when I am starting from a rest. There is a definite "ka-klunk-a-lunk" at the end of the clutch pull just as the bike is fully engaged in first gear. I know the clutch needs to be replaced but would it make that kind of noise?

Also is there anything else I should replace when doing a clutch besides:
friction plates and clutch plates, the 4 springs, oil, clutch gasket
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #3463
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
96 nighthawk 750 - making some strange noises when I am starting from a rest. There is a definite "ka-klunk-a-lunk" at the end of the clutch pull just as the bike is fully engaged in first gear. I know the clutch needs to be replaced but would it make that kind of noise?

Also is there anything else I should replace when doing a clutch besides:
friction plates and clutch plates, the 4 springs, oil, clutch gasket

Clutch steels are probably fine--check for thickness using calipers or micrometer and check for flatness using piece of glass and feeler gauges.

Never heard a clutch make that noise, but heard a few chains do that because they are so worn out they are slipping on the sprockets.

Next step is the chain breaking and one of 3 things will happen:

1. Chain breaks and falls on ground stranding you.
2. Chain breaks and wraps around front sprocket, breaking motor cases and stranding you.
3. Chain breaks and wraps around rear wheel, ceasing movement of wheel and stranding you.

derek

Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #3464
51D7H3K1D
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Wink Heree she is!

I ended up buying the Hawk. Turned out to be a 1992 instead of a 1994. Are there any real differences? In my understanding they are all virtually the same.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 1992 Honda Nighthawk 250 in classic Honda red AND a Puch Maxi Sport moped (not running, thrown in for free) for the lovely price of $500! I'm super excited to get everything up and running.

the middle bike is my dad's 1981 Honda Passport C70

Thanks for the information guys! I plan on cleaning the carb out, and possible putting in new rubbers and jets if need be.

Are there any good rebuild kits out there? I've only seen Keyster ones on eBay, which I have read are bad quality.

51D7H3K1D screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 03:15 PM
51D7H3K1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 AM   #3465
FocusPlayer
Minstrel on a Cycle

Oddometer: 65
Well I sold my NIghthawk 750... I miss it.. even my WIFE misses it. She says it was WAY better looking than my funny Red PC800 -- but the PC is a better regular to/from work bike and more cumfy on a 3 + hour play run... so... no room in the garage for 2 bikes. < pause for sympaty >

I hope you folks see it's new owner soon. Young Master William seems to be a fine fellow - and my bike is hard to miss...

I'll check in from time to time - I hope I get to stay an Honorararary member
FocusPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote