Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #3676
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
You're the Man! Nice work. I wish that I had your shop and smarts.

Yeah, clutches are maintenance items, and transmissions are for missing gears, clunking, grinding, or not going into gear.

JUST don't get a performance clutch or xx% heavier clutch springs. They WILL wear your trans out, break clutch baskets, etc... Stock OEM clutches AND springs are the way to go. I look forward to your writeup, and hopefully, it will give me courage enough to do mine. Mine is my only transportation for now, so projects are difficult unless they are minor and less than a few hours total time to fit in my schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
So I got the bearings and tire on finally yesterday afternoon and today I took a couple of rides. This morning I just wanted to see if everything was good and this evening the missus and I had a nice sunset ride. Not too far but a few miles on the highway and some nice two lane, it was a beautiful evening.
The tire went pretty well. Getting it off was a bitch but I used the zip tie method and it went on easy.

I'd never done bearings before but that wasn't too bad either. The big problem was that I buggered up the little side collar that goes in the third bearing. The old one was fused to the inner bearing race and I mashed it up trying to get them apart. It was one of those times when as you are doing it you think "I probably shouldn't be doing this" but you've already started and you just keep bashing away. I was able to order a new one online.,

The new bearings:

Everyone says to use a socket to drive in the bearing but I didn't have one the right size. So I turned a mahogany bearing driver on the lathe:

The mahogany one split so I made another from some Black Locust. Elm might have been even better.

So with the new tires, bearings, gas cap key and clutch lever the $500 bike is up to about $750. But it runs great and is a blast to ride. Next up is putting on the new fork seals that came with the bike.

A new issue that came up today is a little clutch slippage. I've been riding pretty easy since the tires were almost 20 years old. Today I used the throttle a bit more and a couple of times it felt like the clutch just slipped. Around 5-6,000 rpms she would just rev up to 8 or so then settle back down. Probably clutch and not transmission, right?
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #3677
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
A new issue that came up today is a little clutch slippage. I've been riding pretty easy since the tires were almost 20 years old. Today I used the throttle a bit more and a couple of times it felt like the clutch just slipped. Around 5-6,000 rpms she would just rev up to 8 or so then settle back down. Probably clutch and not transmission, right?

Not necessarily. Do you know what type oil is in it? If it has 30W or less on the high end (10w-30 for instance) it has friction modifiers in it that cause slipping. If you don't know the history of the oil, I'd change it to MC-compatible oil (40W or higher on the top end or MC-specific). I don't want to risk an oil war by recommending a particular brand/type. . . .
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #3678
ariwhiteboy
LiterHawk

Oddometer: 9
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Halcyondaze
Ari, what are you doing here. You'll get a bad rep if you aren't careful.

To paraphrase Kurt Russell in Tombstone, "I already got a bad rep, might as well join ADV too."
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #3679
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariwhiteboy View Post
To paraphrase Kurt Russell in Tombstone, "I already got a bad rep, might as well join ADV too."
Looks there are a few crossovers here.............
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #3680
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
750 Nighthawk shocks

Looking at these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-shock-A...7b102d&vxp=mtr on fleabay, anyone have experience or knowledge about 'em?
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #3681
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by njpaddler View Post
Clogged jets, need to soak in Sea Foam overnight, maybe twice, maybe actually take carbs off and ream out with fishing line after you've moved & settled in.

I use a kitchen syringe I got at Target to inject the stuff directly into the fuel line so it goes to the carbs undiluted by gas. Immediately shut off engine, sit overnight, repeat, then run half a tank of gas with 2 or 3 oz. of Sea Foam in it.You should see lots of pretty white smoke out the pipes, that means it's working, but it may not be enough. You may need to roto-rooter the jets with fishing line, do not use wire.
Ok. Some seafoam, limped it to the highway after cranking up the idle, and did a loop around 270 WFO. And now its working utterly perfectly.

Side note, thats the longest I've EVER held a machine at 100% throttle. I even saw 76 MPH indicated once on a downhill! Lol.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #3682
Billigan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Please help

I fried my CB450sc by accidentally crossed polarity. Replaced one 15a and two 7a fuses on the left side but bike still has no lights. I can't locate the main 30a fuse around the battery. Please help...
Billigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #3683
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
I fried my CB450sc by accidentally crossed polarity. Replaced one 15a and two 7a fuses on the left side but bike still has no lights. I can't locate the main 30a fuse around the battery. Please help...
Do you have the Clymer service manual? I found it online and downloaded it. The main fuse should be fairly close to the battery.
MaineScoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #3684
genespleen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
Remember: unless the PO has changed it, the main fuse is an old-style ribbon fuse located inside a substantial little fuse holder.

Not entirely unlike this:
http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products...05-02_f55c.jpg
genespleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #3685
RABBIT170
CB750 Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Jet Kit

Need some help guys, I just bought a Vance and hines exhaust system and K&N for my 750, But which jet kit should I get, the Dyno jet kit (Which i think might still make it on the lean side) or this kit from carbjets.com?

http://carbjetkits.com/CJKCalculator.php

thanks
2002 Nighthawk 250
RABBIT170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #3686
Billigan
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by genespleen View Post
Remember: unless the PO has changed it, the main fuse is an old-style ribbon fuse located inside a substantial little fuse holder.

Not entirely unlike this:
http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products...05-02_f55c.jpg
Thanks genespleen,

The fuse box was on the opposite side of the battery and the 15a is the main fuse. There was no light due to corroded connection inside the housing. Now thats all cleaned up and grease. On to the next problem.

There is a really loud ticking noise coming from the top right side of the engine cover and I have adjusted the valves and cam chain already. How ever, I took the left side cover off and the cam chain seem very loose still. Any ideas beside replacing the cam chain? Thanks.
Billigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #3687
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky View Post
Looking at these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-shock-A...7b102d&vxp=mtr on fleabay, anyone have experience or knowledge about 'em?
Tell how they work out. The bike they show it mounted on is an electric moped.

I was looking at Progressive HD springs front and rear, $100/each pair. The rear shocks are more, except Progressive has an extremely confusing web page: but their springs are good. I don't know if I'd trust a no-name Chinese Ebay (even with an American 'Seller') to shocks. The odds are just not on your side, since shocks are generally a high tech item not to skimp too much on or your ass could be grass.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #3688
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
Tell how they work out. The bike they show it mounted on is an electric moped.

I was looking at Progressive HD springs front and rear, $100/each pair. The rear shocks are more, except Progressive has an extremely confusing web page: but their springs are good. I don't know if I'd trust a no-name Chinese Ebay (even with an American 'Seller') to shocks. The odds are just not on your side, since shocks are generally a high tech item not to skimp too much on or your ass could be grass.
I also noticed that the Placement is Front???? Maybe they are for a CB750 Quad
2004 ST1300 - sold
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
OHjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #3689
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,822
Found a deal on super clean 01; 4 into 1, two windshields, backrest/rack, custom saddle, 1100.00... Needs a battery, and I can't remember what side the positive terminal is on; can anyone give me a heads up on this? Would like to pick one up, need to make sure I grab the correct one.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #3690
_thewick
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey all! Brand new to the forum, looks awesome though.

Been riding my Nighthawk for a couple weeks now and I'm in love with her. Can't wait to do more than just commute. Go on some longer rides/adventures. Pix of the new girl will come soon.

Has anybody ran without the plastic (I don't know if removing would be considered blasphemous here)? Curious if there's a way to mount the tail light without the plastic housing, or if it even looks good. Just wonder what she would look like truly neked... right now I feel like it's kinda a bikini.
_thewick is offline   Reply With Quote