Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #3931
mi500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Considering a trip next week to Montrose, Co to see an old buddy; 1100 miles, 700 of those across the flatlands of OK, TX, and NM... I could trailer my DR650 to Amarillo, or ride my 750 all the way; neither is especially appetizing to me, but time is a factor. Any opinions on the NH. as a long distance bike? I've done 600 mile days in the twisties, but nothing of this magnitude.

Nighthawk will handle 1100 miles just fine. i have rode around 2300 miles in a week on mine and i was fine. i just try to remember to move around before things start hurting. running roads with minimal stop and go i always get 50+ MPG.

89 CR500R
mi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #3932
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,773
Well, I've done it; committed to leaving Little Rock on Thursday, hopefully making it as far as Amarillo, then on to Montrose by Friday night. Will spend 3-4 days in CO, then slip over to Moab, then over into the Taos area before heading back to the Rock... I'll be honest; I'm a little bit apprehensive...
Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 AM   #3933
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Well, I've done it; committed to leaving Little Rock on Thursday, hopefully making it as far as Amarillo, then on to Montrose by Friday night. Will spend 3-4 days in CO, then slip over to Moab, then over into the Taos area before heading back to the Rock... I'll be honest; I'm a little bit apprehensive...
Looking forward to your ride report.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #3934
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
.... I'll be honest; I'm a little bit apprehensive...
Quite normal on ones first long solo ride, once on the road you'll forget about it because you'll be enjoying yourself so much. Make your bike ready; good tires, chain adjusted and lubed, fresh oil. I would take a tire plug kit with 5-6 of those little CO2 bottles, or mini compressor, just to ensure you don't get a flat . As far as you drink lots of water. Pack for both hot and cool weather. I like having a dark face shield along when doing a longer ride east/west. Have fun and take pics for us!.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #3935
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,481
Quote:
Considering a trip next week to Montrose, Co to see an old buddy; 1100 miles, 700 of those across the flatlands of OK, TX, and NM... I could trailer my DR650 to Amarillo, or ride my 750 all the way; neither is especially appetizing to me, but time is a factor. Any opinions on the NH. as a long distance bike? I've done 600 mile days in the twisties, but nothing of this magnitude.
I usually knock the flatlands out in one day on trips to CO and NM. For me, it's 775 miles to Santa Fe, or 650 miles to Cimarron. Either one is a 12-hour ride.

Depart at 5am. Stop for fuel every 3 hours, or so. You'll be there before you know it. In time for dining on some green chiles on some New Mexican patio.

There is no reason why you couldn't make the trip on a Night Hawk 750.

Quote:
Should be an easy run from LR to Amarillo. Don't know what route you've chosen for the second day, but US-550 from Bernadillo to Bloomfield would be way down my list. Think about diverting northwestward somewhere between Amarillo and Tucumcari, and grabbing US-64 West at Cimarron. You won't regret it. Otherwise, you could grab US-84 from Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs. Lots of options that won't add a whole lot of miles, but will make for a memorable ride.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 08:42 AM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #3936
dogjaw
plays well alone

I've heard great things about Ride On tire sealant, will probably hook that up tonight... My chain and sprockets are the originals with 15k on them, but look fine for the trip. New Dunlops front and rear, Rotella synthetic a few hundred miles ago; was hoping my concealed carry permit would come in, but no worries on that if it doesn't. I plan on eating as little processed food as possible, no cokes, hammock camping wherever possible. I'm as giggity as a little schoolgirl, would live to leave right now.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #3937
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Honda of Russellville has been selling Ride-On if you need a source.

Have a good trip,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #3938
DeusExMaxima
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I went with Sabre wheels and shinko 705s. Added some baggage too:

IBA #54915
DeusExMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #3939
dogjaw
plays well alone

I love 705's, had them I'm my DR650 will prob put them on my 750; btw, that front tire is on backwards; doesn't matter unless you ride in the rain.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #3940
DeusExMaxima
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

IBA #54915
DeusExMaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #3941
arcanum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Cb450sc

I have read 10 pages of this thread and enjoy it a bunch. No one has mentioned a 450,but to be fair,they made them only in '84-'86. Mine is an '85.

They do not have shaft drive or hydraulic lifters. But they do have a six- speed /overdrive.

This bike is the smoothest two cylinder bike I have ever heard--it sounds like a 4 piston bike. It is "big" and solid for its engine size. I think they usually sell for 8 to 12 hundred if you can find one,but I took a chance on a clean non-runner and paid a fraction of that

So,anyone else have a 450????
arcanum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #3942
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Got the Hondaline OEM Back rest installed, no easy task, the zippered pocket on the back, and how it works is worth it. I tried the Walmart bought pack and it slipped on very nicely. pleased... the pack has some loops on the bottom that fit very nicely on the OEM racks bottom standoffs, making it even more secure. I'm going to buy another one, just in case this one breaks. Plenty of room, very secure, slip on is convenient. Very happy with it...

Thanks,
Foamy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
I ended up buying a Fieldline Motorcycle backpack at Walmart. It was on sale for $17. Seems quite big, but has a slip on type of pocket which slides over the sissy bar (Sissy bar/Back Rest Pouch and strap System). There were 2 different syle, I chose the one that was on sale.. It has outer pockets including Zippered top compartment, hydration compatible.

- "easily slides onto standard motorcycle sissy bar (up to 18" tall"
- " 21"H x 14"W x 8.5"D "

After I get it on the Bar and give it a try, I'll try reporting back. Its Likely not very water resistant. not high quality.. But it slips over the Sissy Bar, its a backpack and it was $17. Thought I would give it a try
Can you post a few pictures and perhaps a WalMart item number?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #3943
nova2012jk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Service Manual for 1993 CB750 / any ideas what this problem is?

Hi all, does anyone know where I can get a free service manual for a '93 Nighthawk 750?

The problem:

Dropped the bike this weekend at mile 520 of a 600 mile weekend. Got me home just fine, but i noticed a clicking when rolling in neutral or with the clutch engaged at speed. Let it sit for a couple hours, and then tried to start it: 1 click and nothing more. Lights and signals worked just fine though. She did the same 1 click thing to me Saturday morning, after letting her sit all night on a cold mountain. I bumped started her and she didnt complain and got me home 500 miles later. Battery was testing 11.9, so i figured I'd replace it. Replaced it, and still: 1 click from the starter.

So, I figured I'd try it in other gears; but she didnt want to down nor up shift without being rolled a bit before each shift. Finally, she started in neutral. I decided to put her in first, running, to see what would happen. Loud clank, and she cut off.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!
nova2012jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #3944
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,764
Neutral switch/sensor on the left side of the bike down low near the shifter. Maybe a cut wire or damaged sensor?
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #3945
slvrspks
n00b

Oddometer: 9
test photo posting

slvrspks is offline   Reply With Quote