Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #811
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendjet428
hey everybody!! well i had a wreck on my nighthawk about 2 hours ago. ..........

Im glad you didnt get hurt to bad.

I think Slayer is right, you have about a 10 or 11 year span of bike years that you should be able to get parts from.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #812
Legendjet428
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
thanks!! im lucky to be alive, but i was thinkin maybe forks off of a 1982 or '80 something might have the same diameter. if they do im sure i can work with it. i find wheels and forks from later stuff all the time on ebay. but we shall see. thanks once again, and ride safe

1991 Honda CB750...R.I.P
1978 Yamaha XS1100...Lots of trouble
1992 Honda CB750
Legendjet428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #813
Mydlyfkryzis
Gadget Freak

Oddometer: 12
Glad you are alright....

the older bikes had different brakes. You need a 41 MM diameter upper fork.

With the different brakes, you'll need a different master cylinder too, depending on the model, the brake hoses.

1991-2003 Honda nighthawks were essentially identical. Some minor differences, but the forks and brakes are the same. I'd stick to those years to keep it simple.

Good luck. Feel Better.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #814
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Oddometer: 203
I'm looking to do a few mods this coming winter to my NH and am working on purchasing all the goodies now so I can spread out the costs over several months. I've already bought both new tires. My next step I think is to buy a new set of front brake pads and a SS brake line. I see several people list EBC HH pads and Russell brake lines. Where's the best place to find both (doesn't have to be the same place). As for brake pads, are sintered and HH the same thing?
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #815
Legendjet428
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
I'm looking to do a few mods this coming winter to my NH and am working on purchasing all the goodies now so I can spread out the costs over several months. I've already bought both new tires. My next step I think is to buy a new set of front brake pads and a SS brake line. I see several people list EBC HH pads and Russell brake lines. Where's the best place to find both (doesn't have to be the same place). As for brake pads, are sintered and HH the same thing?
If the HH brake pads are really hard, like harder than regular semi-metalics, then they will tear ur rotors up quick. I know a truck is different, but I put ceramic pads on hoping to cut down on the dust and it did, but in the process it crystalized my rotors...same principle on a bike, so it might be similar.

I have a question myself, since i had that wreck i knw the forks took alooottt of the force, but im worried some got to the frame. Is there anyway i could check if the fram is bent?? any ideas?? or do yall reall think the frame is bent?? It split the wheel in half bent both forks and handle bars and hit hard enough to put a dent in the #3 header...and its not a small dent either....ohh and yall might find this cool. someone gave me a link to a page that has alll kinds of bikes with the same fork diameters...so if yall want to upgrade to dual front disks...this is the thing to see. i was thinking about doing it. It said a 91-94 cbr 600 f2 has the same diameter forks....but its alot of mula to do that...but it sounds fun!!!!!!!

http://www.metricunderground.com/for...c.php?f=8&t=61

1991 Honda CB750...R.I.P
1992 Honda CB750
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #816
beardking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Well, I mentioned previousley (I believe) that I laid down my 99 Nighthawk 750 at the end of July. No serious damage to me, but apparently enough damage to the NH for the insurance to total it. Kinda sucky, but it did open up my chances of going for a newer bike. I was quite happy with my NH, but I figured that if I was given the opportunity to get something else, I might as well take it. So, I pooled my insurance settlement with some of my summer bonus (I was lucky this happened when it did, about 2 weeks after the wreck I got my bonus) and bought a 2003 Honda 919 (Hornet 900, CB900f, whatever ya feel like calling it). I know it's not a major departure from the NH, but it's newer, bigger, matte black, and lower miles. Oh, and the insurance doesn't consider it totalled.

So, I went to pick it up on Thursday which was an adventure itself. See, the only one that I could find in my price range was in Lubbock, TX. I live north of Dallas, TX. For the geographically challenged (that would be ME) that's 357 miles one way. I of course, would have to go both ways, so that's 714 miles round trip. Luckily the seller was willing to meet just outside of Abilene in Sweetwater, TX. That's only (hahaha) 232 miles one way (464 miles round trip).

So, I borrowed my neighbors trailer and went to hooking it up to my truck Wed. night so it'd be ready on Thurs. morning. I have a 2" hitch from the factory on it and thought that would do the trick. Lo and behold, I have a 2" ball and it needs a 1 7/8" ball (so I thought). So, off to Home Depot to buy an 1 7/8" ball to mount to my hitch. Get it back home and I don't have a single socket, wrench, or adjustable wrench that will fit the massive nut on the 2" ball. (BTW: I was doing this all at about 7:30 at night after I got back from a trip to Chino Hills, CA for work). So, I decided to bite the bullet, head back to HD and buy the "starter kit" with the hitch with the 1 7/8" ball already installed. Get back to the house, install it in my receiver and hook up the trailer. Woohoo.

So, Thurs. morning my wife and I load up into the truck and head out for the trip. As I'm heading out of town I go through an intersection that has one hell of a dip in it and I didn't slow down enough for it. The truck bounces all over the place, the trailer bounces all over the place and I quickly found out that I did need a 2" ball for the trailer. Dang thing jumped off the ball. Lucky for me I hooked up the safety chains and this all happened less than a mile from home rather than out in the middle of nowhere. So, I head back to the house, do the receiver swap, attach the trailer again (verify that the trailer won't be coming off without my sayso this time) and head out. After nearly 10 hours on the road (including stops and lunch) I got back home with my brand spanking new (to me) 2003 Honda 919.

Sadly, the only miles I've put on the thing so far is about 1/8th of a mile running up and down my street and into my garage. Since we got back from the trip, I have been too dang busy to ride or take many pictures of it. That'll all change tomorrow as I start back as a bike commuter to work. WOOHOO. Almost looking forward to going to work. ALMOST
beardking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #817
karitoki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
This thread brings back memories...
I think I have the record for "worst trade" for a Nighthawk though; It was 1986 and I owned a KZ1300, a XL650, and a 83 CB650. I traded the CB650 for an a shipmates new Apple IIE computer with dual 5.25' disk drives, a monocrome monitor, and a dot matrix computer. At the time the values were pretty close, but now...
I still kick myself.
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #818
CraigF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Deadly, assuming my replacement tank for my 84 CB700SC works out as I hope it does, I definitely want to see if I can put side cases on it like you have on your 2002.

What kind of cases are they? I'd like to check out the dimensions and start working on figuring out mounting options.
CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #819
CraigF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I found the model of the cases on your website, so I was able to find the dimensions.

For the convenience of others, they are Hardigg IM2200 Storm case.
CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #820
Legendjet428
Adventurer

Salvage title

I havent reported anything to my insurance yet, but i think they are goignt o total it if i do....i mean i need new forks, wheel, tire, rotor, handle bars and maybe triple tree clamp. and dont forget headset bearings...so if they total it how does it work? i have heard they total it, write me a check for the value of it, and i keep it and the title. or ive heard that they total it and they keep the bike and title. soo if they keep it, i can buy back a salvage title...do yall have any idea how much that may cost???

1991 Honda CB750...R.I.P
1992 Honda CB750
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #821
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

I've never actually been through a vehicle being totaled before my understanding is that they take the vehicle after paying you for it. I think you can ask to buy it back and would assume that would be at the rate that a salvage yard would give them for it. Even if you can't fix it up, you could always part it out and sell stuff on e-bay.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #822
Slayer
Vier Japanische Kolben

Oh my Goodness! I changed out tires on my NH and went to radials and I cannot believe the difference in handling! This bike handles completely different now. I took it for a short test ride after doing the install just to make sure everything felt like it was in place correctly. I had changed out the chain and sprockets while I was in there. I thought it felt really different. Rode it to work tonight and wow! What a tremendously good difference. It's like a whole new bike. It lays over easier in turns and feels extremely planted. I found myself taking a couple of exit ramps at higher than usual speeds and never felt like it was too much. If you are still running bias plies on your NH, I highly recommend radials. I had a radial on the front of my '91 NH when I had it, but never on both wheels at the same time. Do I sound like this was money well spent?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #823
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Don't ride too hard for the first 100 miles.

What brand & model of tires did you buy?

Did you buy on-line or local ?

Ride Safely
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #824
Lee Keller King
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex
Don't ride too hard for the first 100 miles.

What brand & model of tires did you buy?

Did you buy on-line or local ?

Ride Safely
Cheng Sheng Hi-Max C907R Hi-Max ST.

Ordered from Trax Motorsports in West Monroe, Louisiana.

www.traxms.com

I ordered over the weekend, along with a helmet for my son. The helmet got to my house Tuesday and the tire (which shipped from Michigan) is supposed to get here today.

Lee

(Who may go radial next time baby needs new shoes)

...or something like that.

---------------------------------------------
1982 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC ("Bikey")
2001 Yamaha VStar 650 ("Vera")
1970 Kawasaki H1 (500cc 2-stroke triple) (long gone but not forgotten)

Lee Keller King screwed with this post 08-29-2008 at 02:29 PM
Lee Keller King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #825
rlucas
n00b by post count only..

Oddometer: 231
Need a little NH expert advice...

My GF has an '85 Nighthawk with issues. I'm hoping that perhaps one of you has experienced something like this. It's very odd.

I won't boor you with extensive details, but the bike began to die when it gets put in gear. Okay, after much troubleshooting we replaced the clutch interlock switch, the clutch diode, and the gear selector switch. The bike will now start and go into gear like it's supposed to, and remain running...

...until you let the clutch out. The clutch starts to engage, then near the end of lever travel the fire goes out. Bypassing\jumpering the clutch switch has no affect. The only light that remains on at the instrument cluster is the oil light, until you cycle the key.

I'm stumped. Anyone seen this before? We've searched all over for answers and haven't found any yet.
rlucas is offline   Reply With Quote