Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #121
Headmanbrewing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I've got a really good pic of my '85 CB700SC (red) that I can't find right now. I'll find it and post.
Headmanbrewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #122
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Tourance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xncnc
The tire is a tourance from metzeler, i got em because they are supposed to last long and be decent grip.
You're the first person I've heard of using Tourances on a Nighthawk. Those are standard wheels, right? What sizes are the Tourances? How do you like them? Any handling changes from bias tires in standard sizes? Why did you choose Tourances? Did you talk to anybody with knowledge of these tires and this bike first?

I had Tourances on my GS Adventure, and I loved them. I'll need to replace at least the rear tire on my '03 US-spec Nighthawk later this summer, and I'd spring for a set of Tourances in a heartbeat if it's a good choice for the bike.

Thanks.

simbob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #123
Starwarrior
Wannabe

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayes70
A little story to go w/ a pic of my 7hunny.

Flash back: 1985, Van Halen begins to suck and Motorhead sounds just like they do today. I see a commercial where Freddie Spencer is scraping pegs on this thing. I gotta have one. Ask my Dad, he says no. I have his Yamaha triple to ride around (which looking back was a great bike and more than I deserved). Being the 15 year old asshole that I was at the time, I initiated a huge pissing match over it. A month passes and all is forgotten on my end of things. Dad and I are cool and its never mentioned again.

1993: Eight years later, I am outta college, settling into a new job, new apartment, and on the edge of struggling financially. Dad swings by my place one night on his way home from work and asks if I wanna go grab a beer & some dinner. I say yeah and we're off. We drive pass at least 5 suitable restaurants and continue out of town. We pull up to a house and I am wondering whats up. Dad says a guy at work was looking to buy his 1st bike and we were stopping to check it out for the him.

He gets out, goes up to the door, talks to the guy there, who in turn opens up the garage door. I get out and walk in to see 2 ski boats, a jet ski, a couple of dirtbikes, and two other bikes under covers. The guy takes the covers off and there sit 2 Nighthawk Ss. One red, one blue. While I am in the back drooling over these things, he must have walked out to the car. I turn around and he tosses a new red Arai at me and tells me to ride the thing home. Kodak moment for sure. He never forgot that fight. It was bittersweet for me to say the least. I was elated, riddled w/ guilt, and thankful to have him as my father all at the same time.

I still ride it regularly, will never sell it, and stop by to see my dad on it a few times each summer to say thanks for the bike and for putting up with an asshole of a son.
Wow, fantastic story. My Nighthawk S story isn't nearly as romantic, though it does end with me selling the bike and cashing in a lifelong investment to buy an engagement/wedding ring set, a new car and help to put a down payment on a house. For the record, my wife didn't want me to sell the bike. She wanted me to get a smaller diamond. I figured that it was worth it.

Attached is the bike as I bought it.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #124
Starwarrior
Wannabe

Oddometer: 86
(with regard to my previous post)

Attached is the bike as I sold it. Numerous repairs were made by me and a dealer who stole lots of my money. Not that any of you need to know this, but I found out the hard way. If you plan on fixing up something yourself, stick to that plan. Buy all the tools you think you'll only need once, and do it right. You'll save time and money in the end.

And don't EVER go to Grove's Motorsports in Mason, MI. They are a pack of lying thieves.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #125
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
Alaska Leather ButtPad

Have any of you bought one of Alaska Leather's ButtPads for your late model Nighthawk?

http://www.alaskaleather.com/buttpads.html

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #126
seat_boy
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 156
For all of you CB700SC riders out there, what kind of tank range are you getting? I had one several years ago, and I remember the light (? or fuel gauge showing "E") at about 90 miles. That was frustrating. Now, in a burst of company loyalty, I'm thinking of getting another Honda something.

Eric
Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #127
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Well I sold my Nighthawk last month and bought a nice dual sport, but I miss the Nighthawk for sure.
Looking for a it's replacement. Thinking maybe a new Suzuki Bandit 1250...
Old 04-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #128
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seat_boy
For all of you CB700SC riders out there, what kind of tank range are you getting? I had one several years ago, and I remember the light (? or fuel gauge showing "E") at about 90 miles. That was frustrating. Now, in a burst of company loyalty, I'm thinking of getting another Honda something.

Eric

I dont know about the CB700SC you are asking about but my CB750 Nighthawk gets about 200 to 225 miles per tank before I have to switch to reserve.

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #129
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:

Eric
Either you had a small fuel leak, or something was really wrong with the carburetion...

I just looked on bikez.com and that model had a 4.2 gal tank. No reason that bike couldn't pull minimum 40mpg if it ran right. Reserve is probably .5gal. Should pull at least 150mi before running on to reserve.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #130
Zig-Zag
That's gunna leave a mark

Oddometer: 15
Nighthawk factory hard bags

Hi everyone !!!

Just recently bought my first nighthawk and somewhere on the internet I saw a picture of a blue 700s with matching factory hard bags. LOOKED GREAT ! Does anyone know where I can get a set of R/W/B for my '86? Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Every Turn - Every Time - Ride Safe

Zig-Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #131
happycommuter
Boy in the hood

Oddometer: 60
Bluhduh I previously griped about the range

Quote:
For all of you CB700SC riders out there, what kind of tank range are you getting? I had one several years ago, and I remember the light (? or fuel gauge showing "E") at about 90 miles.
I end up needing to switch to reserve between 87-115 miles. The gage is accurate only when full... 40mpg is about what I get at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker
I just looked on bikez.com and that model had a 4.2 gal tank.
My owner's manual lists 3.52 gallons, 2.6 quarts of which is reserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig-Zag
Does anyone know where I can get a set of R/W/B for my '86?
The factory hard luggage is very rare and very desirable. Good luck. Save a search notice on eBay and wait.

happycommuter screwed with this post 04-16-2007 at 06:40 PM
happycommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #132
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycommuter
I end up needing to switch to reserve between 87-115 miles. The gage is accurate only when full... 40mpg is about what I get at best.
My owner's manual lists 3.52 gallons, 2.6 quarts of which is reserve.
The factory hard luggage is very rare and very desirable. Good luck. Save a search notice on eBay and wait.
Wow, almost identical to my Sporty. I've got 3.3gal w/a .5 gal reserve. Usually get around 45mpg.

If you don't want to put 'er up on a dyno, maybe just have a test done with a 2 gas analyzer if you can. Best is to have both done (dyno run with a sniffer). Maybe you have something small wrong with your carbies, but not bad enough to make the bike not run. I though one of my CB650's was running fine, but after failing emissions and being forced to rebuild the carbs and get new airbox & intake manifolds (and of course a synch), I couldn't believe the difference. Anything over 2.5%CO at idle needs to be looked at.

Or maybe you just run the piss outta the poor thing...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #133
Chris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey everyone! I love the site here, just thought I'd throw this in. I bought a 91 Nighthawk 750 last week, it's my first bike.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #134
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Hey everyone! I love the site here, just thought I'd throw this in. I bought a 91 Nighthawk 750 last week, it's my first bike.
Thats a nice bike. Now we just need to start getting some of these Nighthawks posting in the ADV Ride Reports section.

Surely some of you guys travel on your Nighthwaks. I use to frequent the Yahoo Nighthawk group message board but all they want to talk about over there is how to get their bikes running and stuff along those lines.
I really love this forum because these folks actually ride their motorcycles.

"eteller" deserves a word of thanks for migrateing some of us over to ADV.
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website

Deadly screwed with this post 04-17-2007 at 08:29 AM
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #135
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly
Thats a nice bike.

Yep, sweet! Lucky dog! Get some panniers and a screen and see the USA.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote