User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2006, 04:24 AM   #1
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Oil Leak

Hi..I have been having some oil leak from the left hand rubber intake tube (see pics). It seem to be coming out from the intake tube onto the carb before dripping onto the gear shift lever. As a result, the gear shift lever gets all oily and i am having a constant oil patch on my boots. After removing the intake tube I was told that this has possibly have to do with a dirty airbox, air filter resulting in excessive oil flowing out from the breather tube inside the rubber intake tube. The seals on the gear shift lever has been changed and other checks confirmed that oil could not be flowing from other parts. Im really not sure how this works so i am posting here to hear comments from anyone who might have this problem before and would be most pleased to hear some solutions as well. Btw, this is on a 1988 R100GS PD..

Thanks for taking the time to reaad this...
Attached Images

tigerapple screwed with this post 12-26-2006 at 04:45 AM
tigerapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

Left Hand Rubber Intake Tube

Oil seems to be leaking from the joints of the intake tube on the side nearer to the carb..
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
tigerapple OP
Adventurer

Oily Gear Shot Lever

Another pic showing oily gear shift lever..
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
Usually oil in the airfilter is from a bad crankcase breather. It's under the starter cover next to the starter on the brake lever side. I've yet to see one put out that much oil but it's possible and where I would start looking. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #5
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
That's not an oil leak; it's just sweating horsepower!
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
I would check for other possible sources just to be sure. Maybe a pushrod tube wicking oil back towards the intake, things like that. If it is your crankcase breather, pulling the carb should show you lots of oil. An intake that's air tight is usually oil tight as well.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

hogmolly may be right, easy to find out. There are lots of things on that shifter side that can leak, base of the cylinder, two pushrod seals, the oil pressure sender, shifter seal and maybe even the oil pan gasket. Along with the oil breather there are plenty of things to check. You can check the oil breather easily as mentioned, take a carb rubber off or look at the air cleaner. Otherwise I'd clean all the other spots up really, really well and then keep an eye on them. JT
Old 12-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
I've got a similar looking oil leak. Mine is from the pushrod tube where it is pressed in the head. I'm thinking of trying some wicking locktite to seal it.

Good luck, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
wicking locktite?
camgregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:12 PM   #10
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush
I've got a similar looking oil leak. Mine is from the pushrod tube where it is pressed in the head. I'm thinking of trying some wicking locktite to seal it.

Good luck, Dennis
Chances are you need to replace the pushrod tube seals: http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...bes/index.html

I don't have a picture, but perhaps someone on the list can post a pic of a homemade pushrod tube seal repair tool? Basically it's a pipe with an ID slightly larger than the OD of the pushrod tube with 180 degrees cut off and a small angle cut on the end. You can put it over the seal and give it a wack or two with a mallet and many times this will stop a minor leak.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Sure it's not fuel dripping onto the rubber from the carb and TURNING it into oil. ??
Old 12-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Quote:
I don't have a picture, but perhaps someone on the list can post a pic of a homemade pushrod tube seal repair tool? Basically it's a pipe with an ID slightly larger than the OD of the pushrod tube with 180 degrees cut off and a small angle cut on the end. You can put it over the seal and give it a wack or two with a mallet and many times this will stop a minor leak.
This isn't always a good idea and only a short term fix in any case. The later airheads have the pushrod seal collar brazed on. If you tap it in, it may move but you are actually pulling the pushrod tube out of the head. If you've ever installed a pushrod tube and tried getting it to the correct depth you'd know this wasn't a good idea. These seals start to leak because the rubber gets old, loses it's flexibility and doesn't respond to the expansion and contraction of the cylinder and heads very well. When they leak they need to replaced. JT
Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
there are some good pushrod replacement links...
camgregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus
wicking locktite?
Yep, Loctite 290 wicking grade p/n 29021.

The leak on my engine is definitely from the pushrod tube where it is in the head, not from the seals on the block.

Cheers, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
Kewaneh
Where am I?

Oddometer: 46
I'm having a similar problem with my 93 R100GS, but it's on the right side. I'm getting oil on my rear brake lever and down the right side of the oil pan. I suspected the pushrod tubes. The bike has always dripped a bit since I've had it (a drop or two every week or so) but it recently turned into a Brit-bike mess. I cleaned everything off a few weeks ago, warmed it up and let it sit. It wasn't long before I could see the oil on the side of the oil pan, just below the pushrods.

I was really concerned when the I couldn't figure out where the oil was coming from. It was everywhere on the right side and impossible to pinpoint the source until I cleaned it (although the pushrods were the original suspect). After a ride, I noticed that the toe of my right boot was splattered with oil and I realized that during a ride, the oil gets caught in the blow-by wind and sprayed on everything. And it doesn't take much oil to make a huge mess. I would suspect that a leak at the left pushrods would spray oil on the shift lever, and elsewhere on the left side, as well.

A mechanic I spoke with suggested tapping the seals back in with a half-round pipe and a mallet too. He also suggested great care in the process. The other suggestion was just replacing the seals altogether. That's probably the route I'll go. Not quite what I had in mind with my bonus this year.

- Kewaneh
New tools are no replacement for old rules.
Kewaneh is offline   Reply With Quote