User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
Ducky 149
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
If you are going to ride that alt year round, you are going to need an Arctic Cat powder sled for most of it. YMMV
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
bigfick13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I meant the altitude in Golden
bigfick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Oddometer: 84
"Bagged" 9 more passes this weekend. www.concours.org/co will be updated next week after I get back from another trip. Here are a couple of photos. The first is near Cameron Mountain Pass NE of Salida, CO. The second was taken on the BMW Dirty Dozen ride along the Palisades near the Alpine Tunnel NE of Pitkin, CO.

BishopRL screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 09:49 PM
BishopRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Along the Palisades near Alpine Tunnel NE of Pitkin, CO.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Riding in the Rockies sure is fun. I've updated the Pass Bagger 50 pages on www.concours.org/co with photos of #86-95. Rock Creek Trail, Cameron Mountain, Carnero, Moon, Peon, Cochetopa, South, Los Pinos, Marcellina, and Schoefield. Plus some GPS photos ate Poncha, North, Ohio, Kebler, Cottonwood, Cumberland, Waunita, Black Sage, and Old Monarch. Photos of #96-100 will be uploaded soon. (Photo is the view just west of Los Pinos Pass.)

Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #21
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

The Pass Bagger 50 page on www.concours.org/co has now been updated with photos from passes 97-112. Mountain Shadows Pass, Iceberg Pass, Stillwater Pass, Cabin Creek Divide, Cottonwood Pass, Trough Road Pass, Gore Pass, Lynx Pass, Yellow Jacket Pass, Dunkley Pass, Ripple Creek Pass, Height Divide, Grassy Gap, Twenty Mile Divide, Columbine Pass, Buffalo Pass, and Old Rabbit Ears Pass. Also updated with GPS photos at Currant Creek, Fall River, Guanella, Juniper, Monument, Squaw, and Willow Creek. Sometime this fall I'll check the coordinates on the spreadsheet against the GPS photos and fine-tune if necessary. Hopefully all this traveling I've been documenting will help y'all plan your pass bagging. It sure has been a good excuse to explore a lot of the Colorado Rockies!

BishopRL screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 09:50 PM
Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #22
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

I just uploaded a new copy of the Colorado Mountain Passes spreadsheet that includes many updates to coordinates based on actual GPS readings at the passes.

While some of Garmin MapSource coordinates for passes might be the summit of an original trail, they are off the current road in the woods by 1"-5" (approximately 100-500 feet). That isn't much of an error on the topo map, but it can throw you off a little when you're trying to ride right to that spot. I used maps.google.com (accepts locations in the format dd mm.m N dd mm.m W) to double check our GPS readings against the satellite views of where we were. On the spreadsheet those passes are marked in the "Source" column by "9".

The spreadsheet can be found at: www.concours.org/co , click on "Pass Bagger 50" link, then click on "Colorado Mountain Passes spreadsheet". The Pass Bagger page also contains many recent updates.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #23
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Went out riding on Friday and bagged Tenderfoot, Hoosier (Teller County), Victor, Twin Creek, Twelvemile, Copper Gulch, Promontory, Mosca, and Pass Creek. For photos, see http://www.concours.org/co/rtd_pass_bagger.htm .

(This photo taken at Hoosier Pass east of Cripple Creek.)

BishopRL screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 09:54 PM
Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Rick and his new Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord at Georgia Pass. For his first dual-sporting in Colorado we also went to Guanella and Boreas Passes. 8/20/08.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #25
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

I just updated http://www.concours.org/co/rtd_pass_bagger.htm with photos from a ride I took 8/20/08 to Empire Pass, Fawn Creek Pass, Rifle Sight Notch, and Rollins Pass. Here is a photo looking from near Rollins Pass toward Winter Park and Fraser.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

I just updated http://www.concours.org/co/rtd_pass_bagger.htm with photos from a ride I took 10/4/08 to Greenhill Divide, Bigelow Divide, Wixson Divide, and Hardscrabble Pass. (Sorry, a road bike works fine for these.) The trip included a stop on CO-165 at Bishop's Castle, and braking for a big brown bear to cross the road in Hardscrabble Canyon west of Wetmore. Here is a photo at Greenhill Divide with the changing aspens.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #27
untamed
never say never

Oddometer: 2
Excellent!

Awesome list
I'm planning a trip this summer! What group of passes would you recommend for a 7 day trip in August.
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #28
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

There are lots of good groups of passes, but to bag as many fun, scenic passes in one week, I'd base out of Gunnison. Map the passes near there, from Moon to the SE, to Los Pinos to the SW (or go farther SW), to Kebler to the NW, and Schofield to the NE. And grab all the Cochetopa Passes. Also to the east are all the passes from Cottonwood south to Marshall.

If you will be in the state the weekend of August 15-16, feel free to join the Colorado Beemers Dirty Dozen ride that Dennis O and I will be leading. Check www.coloradobeemers.org , Forum, Event Discussion, 2009 Dirty Dozen Dual Sport Pass Bagger Ride.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #29
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

Haven't done much Pass Bagging this summer, but have picked off some minor ones: Buckhorn (Photo, below. Gravel, on west side of Co Spgs. Good excuse to ride Gold Camp Road.), Culbertson and Sunrise (Gravel. Northwest of Boulder. Good tie-in to Switzerland Trail.), Pawnee and North Pawnee (Paved. West of Sterling. They are in the book by the Helmuths.), and Daniels and Soldier Summits (Paved. In Utah. Part of the my route to and from the Utah 1088.).

BishopRL screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 09:58 PM
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #30
BishopRL OP
Pass Bagger

I just uploaded a new copy of the Colorado Mountain Passes spreadsheet to www.concours.org/co . Click on "Pass Bagger 50" link, then click on "Colorado Mountain Passes spreadsheet".

Some of the passes were missing coordinates. Using Helmuth's directions, the Colorado Road & Recreation Atlas, the Colorado Atlas & Gazetteer, and Google Earth, I was able to determine the coordinates and updated the spreadsheet accordingly.

I also went back and reviewed all our photos of GPS data screens and plugged a few more of those coordinates into the spreadsheet also Those normally amounted to no more than 1-10 seconds difference.

A "MC" column was added for "motorcycle level of difficulty", a conservative, subjective rating based on observations a couple of us have had. Check the "BB Notes" tab for details.

The Pass Bagger page now contains photos of almost 200 Colorado mountain passes, and passes from 8 other states also.

BishopRL screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 09:59 PM