Oddometer: 335
Kukko puller pulling out dust cover.
Attached Images

sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #17
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Kukko puller pulling snow flake wheel bearing. See the metal liner? No heat is required.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Kukko puller pulling our race.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #19
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Kukko puller compelete setup. Ready to pull.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpe57
Kukko puller compelete setup. Ready to pull.
well rub it in why don't you!

beautiful tool, there homes. And i don't say that to just everyone.

Are we sure Ed Korn does'nt have a similar item??? I have'nt heit his catalog in years
Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,245
Where is the steel ring that the legs bear on so they don't mar the wheel that is used with the Kukko puller? Here is what the American equivalent looks like.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #22
Mugwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Where is the steel ring that the legs bear on so they don't mar the wheel that is used with the Kukko puller? Here is what the American equivalent looks like.

source for this, FB?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
source for this, FB?
Snap-On blind bearing puller. The price for that set is in the if you have to ask realm.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #24
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
The procedure for removing bearings in the snowflakes - and I'd imagine the newer styles as well - involves heating the hub to 200 boiling - until spit sizzles. This will expand the hub enough that the bearing will likely just fall out. The mounting area in the hub is machined a few thousandths smaller than the bearing so it really grabs - you definately DON'T want that race rotating in there. The wheel can get pretty warm, especially with hard use of the brakes, and the aluminum will expand under those conditions.

If the bearing is pulled without heating the hub first, the race will drag aluminum and expand the hole. And then repeating the proces driving the new race back in...The bearing won't fit as tight from then on.

I haven't read what Snow Bum or others have to say on this, but I'd recommend it highly.
Wirespokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #25
Mugwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Snap-On blind bearing puller. The price for that set is in the if you have to ask realm.
Suddenly i'm seeing that scene from Heat where they broadsided the Brinks (Snap-on) truck to get at the contents....
Old 02-21-2007, 04:32 AM   #26
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,202
If you've got access to a Mig Welder, cut a pice of steel bar to length & weld it to the inside of one bearing track. The heat expans the aluminium wheel & the welded in bar gives you something to push against. Once you've removed one bearing & the inner spacer, there's normally enough residual heat in the wheel to allow you to easily knock out the other bearing.

Reheat wheel, tap bearings in with a suitably sized drift, not omitting the spacer between the two bearings.

Some wheels (Triumph in my case) have sealed bearings plus a separate outer oilseal that first needs removing as there can be a bearing retaining circlip hiding behind the oilseal. No amount of heating & beating will remove the bearing unless the circlip is first removed, don't ask how I know...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #27
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
well rub it in why don't you!

beautiful tool, there homes. And i don't say that to just everyone.

Are we sure Ed Korn does'nt have a similar item??? I have'nt heit his catalog in years
I'm sure he doesn't. I emailed him and asked him when I had trouble a couple months ago at the beginning of this thread.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 AM   #28
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Suddenly i'm seeing that scene from Heat where they broadsided the Brinks (Snap-on) truck to get at the contents....
Lemme know... I can help. I need a nice large toolbox and some other goodies.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #29
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu
If you've got access to a Mig Welder, cut a pice of steel bar to length & weld it to the inside of one bearing track. The heat expans the aluminium wheel & the welded in bar gives you something to push against. Once you've removed one bearing & the inner spacer, there's normally enough residual heat in the wheel to allow you to easily knock out the other bearing.

Reheat wheel, tap bearings in with a suitably sized drift, not omitting the spacer between the two bearings.

Some wheels (Triumph in my case) have sealed bearings plus a separate outer oilseal that first needs removing as there can be a bearing retaining circlip hiding behind the oilseal. No amount of heating & beating will remove the bearing unless the circlip is first removed, don't ask how I know...

Off the top of my head, i seem to remember reading something about the inner spacer being NON-REMOVABLE and that's why you can't just pound the things out from one side, spacer and all.

When i meet up with Anton to fix my engine, i'm gonna replace my bearings as well. He's got the special tool. I'll take pictures.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #30
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

"The procedure for removing bearings in the snowflakes - and I'd imagine the newer styles as well - involves heating the hub to 200 boiling - until spit sizzles."

If it has steel liner(see picture), you don't need to heat the hub. If it has a steel liner, heating the liner will not expand the metal. You can just pull it out.