ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #136
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
yes i can i have the frs model from chatterbox and it works with the x5 and all of them we have tried so far mine just has 2 channels but david has the x5 and we can communicate with voice activation and all it is great for passing on the double yellow in the twisties you friend can give ya the all clear etc.

check the bmw market place can find deal on them those bmw guys are never satisfied with a good deal those always spend more money thinking it will get better the best i have used is chatterbox and there is a 12v hook up so you can run it off the bike instead of the rechargable batteries

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #137
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Yeah man, I feel your pain..it must really suck to be forced to try out those new 650's! I wish I could have made it to that benefit ride. I only live 10 minutes from there, too. Ken Cox has told me how awesome that place is for riding before. How did the Aprilia do? That is one sweet looking bike.
I had ordered some hand gaurds for the RXV, but the mount kit wasn't the right size and couldn't mount which meant riding in a super tight lightly travelled environment was less then comfortable. It has stock suspension settings and I just could not get the beast to turn in the single track. It's uber smooth on the throttle and extremely quick with the power. Tried it on the peewee MX track and was quite comfy with it there in spite of the soft suspension. However I don't feel I will be doing tight single track often with it as it's just too darn sexy to be bashing against trees all day. The RXV was unique in that it would shoot a rooster while doind a wheeling on the MX track. I could literally be in the middle of a 2nd gear wheelie and blip the throttle to induce roosting the punk hot on my ass, and it sounded neat as all get out too.

Now the 525 EXC i just picked up last week is another story. It's been ridden hard and put up wet more then once, got if off an AA rider up in TN who had a season and a half on it. The advantage is the suspension was better then any bike I have sat on blindly without any dialing in. Bike totally felt like home within 300 yards of single track and it felt like I had been riding it for a couple of years. The other advantage was in spite of all the new plastic on the 525, it has many little scars and I didn't feel the least amount of remorse the first time it slapped a tree or full on jousted a jagged rock and broke the EE aluminum skid pan. So the 525 is going to be my bike of choice for anything slightly gnarly or having to do with distance as the RXV only gets 57 miles before its flat out of gas.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #138
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

yuppie

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #139
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
yuppie

Don't be hating!! and who's the gadget freak who wants to be chit chatting while dual sporting. You trying to make that KLR into a goldwing or LT or somthing? hehe

Some Dude screwed with this post 01-21-2007 at 03:33 PM
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #140
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Bobby, are you still running a stock EXC tank on that 525? I have an XC tank on mine right now and get pretty good range off of it. You'd want an XC seat as well with this set up. I agree, the Aprilia is too damn hot to bash all up to hell. You should put it in a glass case! I have seen some of the motard versions up in Suches at Dale's...damn fine looking machines.

Coates- I assume GaDualSport is sliding the LC4 under the tree...not the 950.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #141
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

What kind of range are you getting out of the XC tank? I am thinking of running the XC tank all of the time and just not fill it up for single track days. Seat is the first mod though. Has a brand new EXC seat that was just right out torturous, worse then my stock YZF if I remember back when.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #142
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Don't be hating!! and who's the gadget freak who wants to be chit chatting while dual sporting. You trying to make that KLR into a goldwing or LT or somthing? hehe
just joking bobby i always pick at the glass case dirt bike guys i am with flux awesome looking bike to pretty to be a dual sport belongs in a showroom beautiful bike though!!

gadget freak is dags he planning a tat trip with the wife and would like to communicate so she can tell him the way because flux can't lead him on the tat so his wife will have to keep him on track

Old 01-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #143
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

Coates- I assume GaDualSport is sliding the LC4 under the tree...not the 950.
the lc4 is still a nice bike to slide under a tree but is a bit smaller than a 950

Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #144
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Quote:
What kind of range are you getting out of the XC tank? I am thinking of running the XC tank all of the time and just not fill it up for single track days. Seat is the first mod though. Has a brand new EXC seat that was just right out torturous, worse then my stock YZF if I remember back when.
I think about 150- 175 miles, depending on how hard I'm riding obviously. Yeah, that EXC seat is rough. I am saving some dough to get a Renzaco built for me. I looked at the Corbin but I have concerns about the back of it blocking off air to the airbox. Corbin says no issues with it but I am skeptical. Plus, I know anything associated with Creeper must be good quality.

One thing about the XC tank- watch out on the right side...watch the radiator as it tends to rub on 2 little tabs onto the inside of the gas tank. I bought some little rubber furniture pads to sitck in between the rad and the tank as I found it was rubbing a hole into the tank. KTM does make a roller set to fit onto the rad, but I am a cheap bastard, what can I say?

Oh yeah- and I run the XC tank all the time. I sold my stocker and got a good price for it on ebay.

Don't listen to Coates...he rides a KLR. 'Nuff said.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #145
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb

Ok, don't laugh too hard, but I've now got these and they're like sitting on two sticks of butter

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...ion_Path~3.asp

Lot cheaper than a new seat; only problem is that when yer walking around it's like you've got a fresh load in yer pants. Of course, if yer used to that sensation anyway...

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 PM   #146
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:

BMW Atlanta need to give the wife directions - riding TAT, center - South Amercia and now looking like Africa. Junior you offering to help out and sponsor
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #147
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman
Ok, don't laugh too hard, but I've now got these and they're like sitting on two sticks of butter

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...ion_Path~3.asp

Lot cheaper than a new seat; only problem is that when yer walking around it's like you've got a fresh load in yer pants. Of course, if yer used to that sensation anyway...

Lance
I have the best Pearle Izumi bicycle shorts money can buy($130+) and that only bought me an hour before my ass was way sore. I should stand more then I do, but that's another story. I preach the benefits of proper riding underwear to anyone who complains about a seat myself, but in this case the stock seat really is a torture device regardless how well you're dressed
Old 01-22-2007, 04:42 AM   #148
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
the lc4 is still a nice bike to slide under a tree but is a bit smaller than a 950
The 640 is what I slide under the tree. Its been to hell and back and will go again if it stays together.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #149
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags
BMW Atlanta need to give the wife directions - riding TAT, center - South Amercia and now looking like Africa. Junior you offering to help out and sponsor

You looking to buy some BMW's????
Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #150
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

hey guys, i screwed up the birthday party and it is on sun 3-5
soooo i will be riding sat but if everyone is committed to sun i would still still love to ride canada creek with some guys awesome place to ride just not i great place to get the klr stuck or get hurt alone (ya i know i am fuckin old) so whatever works out if sun is good for everyone else that is cool and i will ride in the am and split after lunch and if anyone wants to ride on sat i am cool with that !! i live so close that i could ride home in 15 min from dales so whatever works is cool if no takers on sat i will ride the street on sat!!!!