ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #18871
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
80 dirt miles in the Cohutta's [ga &tn] yesterday checking out the Snow & Ice on the North Slopes
with dualindalton, slodon, marbleminer, voldog & andy

26 degrees on the porch when I left
My fingers were un-bearable by the time I got to Eton

Still no Heated Gloves & I forgot to take my G PEE S thingy

Nice Pics Guys = Keep em coming

Enjoyed riding with you again......we will be out there again in 2 weeks maybe it will be warmer and not as soupy!
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #18872
HondaBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Need some advice

Had to get rescued yesterday. Clutch started to get squishy on the 950 and about 15 miles later I had no clutch at all. Sucked pretty bad since I was in traffic when it happened Thankfully my wife was close and picked me up.

So I got some Magura blood oil and bled the clutch. Tons of nasty old crap came out. Now the clutch seems OK which leads to my question. Do I need to tear into it and start replacing seals or does old mineral oil break down that drastically and it just needed to be bled? I looked around the slave cylinder and didn't see any noticeable leaks. I guess time will tell but I figured I would lean on the wisdom of the forum for some advice
Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #18873
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebye View Post
And I am old, short,and fat. I have been looking at 230cc 4 strokes, and walked up on this at a pawn shop in Colorado Springs! 1983 PE 175, I would guess 5-10 hrs, totally stored inside, absolutley all original and all there, there is some great vintage iron here. I love 2 strokes, and have a long background with them. This bike needs a tail lite bulb, and thats it. Fits me, and 216 lbs (dry) same as me!
Great bike, Chris! I'm sure that thing is gonna bring out the hooligan in ya.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #18874
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,439
Thanks, Kirk, maybe I can relearn how to wheelie!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #18875
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Yeah, I've been resisting the temptation on the old Honda. I'm not looking forward to relearning the art of falling off the back and chasing it down the road.

Under construction
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #18876
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Falling off the back should come back rather quickly. The chasing down the road part will be a little harder to master.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #18877
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Falling off the back should come back rather quickly. The chasing down the road part will be a little harder to master.
I remember how that goes, first the feet then the knees hit then comes the hands and finally the face plant and the slide down the road.

Done it many times.

Under construction
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #18878
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
I'm not looking forward to relearning the art of falling off the back and chasing it down the road.
If you're really talented and can run fast, you can chase it down the road holding onto the handlebars, then push the front end down, jump on and ride away like you meant to do it.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #18879
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
If you're really talented and can run fast, you can chase it down the road holding onto the handlebars, then push the front end down, jump on and ride away like you meant to do it.
I have successfully completed that task once or twice a Looooong time ago.

Under construction
Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #18880
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHondaBob View Post
Had to get rescued yesterday. Clutch started to get squishy on the 950 and about 15 miles later I had no clutch at all. Sucked pretty bad since I was in traffic when it happened Thankfully my wife was close and picked me up.

So I got some Magura blood oil and bled the clutch. Tons of nasty old crap came out. Now the clutch seems OK which leads to my question. Do I need to tear into it and start replacing seals or does old mineral oil break down that drastically and it just needed to be bled? I looked around the slave cylinder and didn't see any noticeable leaks. I guess time will tell but I figured I would lean on the wisdom of the forum for some advice
I lost my clutch today on my 950 too. I did manage to get her home.(72 miles) Looks like I lost my reservoir.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #18881
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 686
Quote:

Oh yeah. I had a new PE 175 when they came out. Loved that bike. Trail rode it and raced several enduros on it. Very reliable and handled well compared to other late '70s and early '80s bikes. And yes, it will do great wheelies. Enjoy!

Mine was the 1979 vintage (I think the PE 175's first year). Looked a little different:

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials

Venturer screwed with this post 02-13-2011 at 06:18 PM
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #18882
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post
I lost my clutch today on my 950 too. I did manage to get her home.(72 miles) Looks like I lost my reservoir.
DeBandl,

Same thing happened to me last week... here is my fix"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=7

In my case it was the Clutch Master leaking again so I decided to replace with something else more durable.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #18883
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
And I am old, short,and fat. I have been looking at 230cc 4 strokes, and walked up on this at a pawn shop in Colorado Springs! 1983 PE 175, I would guess 5-10 hrs, totally stored inside, absolutley all original and all there, there is some great vintage iron here. I love 2 strokes, and have a long background with them. This bike needs a tail lite bulb, and thats it. Fits me, and 216 lbs (dry) same as me!
That bike looks brand new! Great find!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #18884
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Valentines Ride To North Georgia Today

Was kind of a crazy ride today in North Ga. on the Bandit.

It started yesterday - my wife said: "Why don't we go for a ride on the motorcycle to celebrate Valentines - we can have an early dinner in some place up in the mountains" What? wait a minute - did she just say what I thought she said? Heck yeah! We are going ridin!

We got a late start and were slabbing it up 400 in order to save time getting to the "good stuff". Since I was riding with precious cargo, all morning I had been reviewing all the crash avoidance wisdom I could think of. On the way up 400 we passed all kinds of motorcyclists and some passed us. There seemed to be a bunch of folks riding two up. Valentines celebrations for them too maybe?

Up ahead I noticed all kinds of emergency lights. Oh no I thought, I hope it's not someone on a bike. As we got closer, I saw an air force guy walking around the scene - must have been involved in the accident I thought. We past the fire truck and whoa! There is a single engine, low wing, Lanceair sitting right in the middle of the median, pointed West. It was sitting on it's belly and the prop was bent, suggesting that it took a bit of a digger. But, the compartment looked fine and we assumed everyone was unhurt.

So, we headed on up around and past Dahlonega. We turned at the Rockpile and did a big loop around 129, 75 Alternate, Richard Russell, 180 etc. Near the top of Richard Russell there was some thick gravel and thick ice on the rock faces. We saw something else we don't normally see on a ride. There were a couple of guys ice climbing the big ice faces near the top. Crazy SOB's!! But, very cool to see.

On the way back to Dahlonega for dinner, we were riding on that part of 129 between 180 and Turner's corner. I love that part of 129! We got into the middle of a small group of Sportbikes. Spirited but responsible riders - not squids. They gave us a look, like come on with us if you want to. We had a blast for a while in those awesome curves on 129, and then turned right by Turners corner to go back to the Rock Pile. We parted ways on 60 with a nod, as I took a shortcut to downtown Dahlonega.

We had a nice early dinner at the "Porterhouse". And then headed down hwy 9 south. The sun started to set as we passed through Dawsonville. The weather was still nice and the sunset was incredible. It lit up the mountains to our right as we headed through those nice sweepers. It was kind of surreal. At that moment, I was reminded of many blessings. Spending time with the one I love, while taking in this awesome day and a great ride. It doesn't get much better than that.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #18885
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post

both you and hondabob check your slave piston for cracked center. if so, i have some billet double oring pistons that i made to share with ya'll.
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote