ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #26386
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Damn thought you would enjoy the vid!

Hate that I got this all started, but I really enjoyed the Vid myself. Just for the record, I'm a wantab for a reason. Don't think I don't wish sometimes I could shake this race addiction, and just go do some dualsporting. Only thing is, it's hard to find riders that like to dualsport with me.

Now a hug is not what Coates needs. A shot of pussy, is more like it!

Maybe we can all get out and ride some this week end.

I'm not mad at Tuna for calling me short either.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #26387
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Yes!

Excuse me, while I piss on the tree huggers.
Piss on tree Huggers? Ok, I’ll ignore the rest of the rant and focus on this, since it is a bit more relevant to the DOGS. Although try riding an MTB with your Roadcrafter, Sidi Boots, and full-face helmet and you’ll realize that looking like a sissy might not be so bad..

Ga. Dual-sport riders do owe a bit of gratitude to the MTB community. It wasn’t that long ago when the Mountaintown Creek area of the Cohuttas was threatened with Wilderness designation. Not only would bicyclist had lost some great riding (Mountaintown Cr. trail), but FS64 and part of Old Ga. 2 where Mountaintown and the existing Cohutta Wilderness adjoin, would have been closed as well! This would have severely impacted one of the best dual-sport loops in the State! It was the local MTB community, led by folks like ANUTT, myself, and a few others that helped oppose this change. Yes, there were other groups as well, but I think we were probably the most organized. The result is that Mountaintown was instead designated as a ‘Scenic Area’, the trails would remain open to MTB’s, and the roads remain open to vehicles! So, rather than cursing the MTB's as they struggle up Potato Patch, give a little room, and perhaps a thumbs up (instead of the ADV salute!)

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #26388
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,888
Since I sold the Scrambler I have been looking for a more dirt oriented bike.....

but I think I am go look at bicycles now.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #26389
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Thanks for you guys hard work. I am a cyclist myself, but I will be the first to point out, that I cycle to stay in shape, so my old ass can let it hang out on a off-road motorcycle.

Again big thanks to all the hard work the volunteers do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Piss on tree Huggers? Ok, I’ll ignore the rest of the rant and focus on this, since it is a bit more relevant to the DOGS. Although try riding an MTB with your Roadcrafter, Sidi Boots, and full-face helmet and you’ll realize that looking like a sissy might not be so bad..

Ga. Dual-sport riders do owe a bit of gratitude to the MTB community. It wasn’t that long ago when the Mountaintown Creek area of the Cohuttas was threatened with Wilderness designation. Not only would bicyclist had lost some great riding (Mountaintown Cr. trail), but FS64 and part of Old Ga. 2 where Mountaintown and the existing Cohutta Wilderness adjoin, would have been closed as well! This would have severely impacted one of the best dual-sport loops in the State! It was the local MTB community, led by folks like ANUTT, myself, and a few others that helped oppose this change. Yes, there were other groups as well, but I think we were probably the most organized. The result is that Mountaintown was instead designated as a ‘Scenic Area’, the trails would remain open to MTB’s, and the roads remain open to vehicles! So, rather than cursing the MTB's as they struggle up Potato Patch, give a little room, and perhaps a thumbs up (instead of the ADV salute!)

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #26390
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,212
Yes MrMac and ANutt. Thank's very much for your work to help keep the forests open! I'm somewhat familiar with these issues. It's been so frustrating to watch them close areas of the forest. It takes an incredible amount of work to fight for our rights. Thank you!

mikem9 screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:02 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #26391
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 794
Santa brought me some new mountain biking clip-in shoes myself...trying to get in shape and I HATE running!

HOWEVER, switching subjects:

This weekend looks great for riding MOTORCYCLES. maybe a little damp...could be fun.

Planning a jaunt around the forest roads ride around south of Suches on Sunday morning...usual roads around Nimblewell, Springer, maybe even Duncan Ridge etc.

Would like to do more riding than stopping and B.S'ing...short on time...gotta be home by 2. but we'll have a chat and a water break or two I am sure...

Noobs welcome to join. Super fast guys and gals welcome too, give me somebody to chase, but I won't likely keep up with you...

Planning to be up around the Nimblewell church at 8. Will check back here late Saturday night and on departure from the 'burbs Sunday morning. PM me.

Open to other ideas.

Gumbeaux screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 04:16 PM
Gumbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #26392
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Cry

I remember a time when this thread was about getting together and riding. Now there's more chest thumping going on than there is anything. I miss hanging out with the original Dogs (you know who you are), but sadly the influx of all the keyboard adventurists has done nothing but drive most of you away. I rode with you O.Ds not for the roads that we followed, but for the good times we had.

For all you cats that have done so much for the mtb/dualsporting community, a sincere thank you for your efforts. Now, if you or anyone else wants a cookie for all the good that they have done for any cause or community, I believe they sell them at Starbucks.

For any of you old timers that wants to ride or get together, get in touch with me. I don't dualsport so much anymore, but I'm up for an adventure ride if my schedule allows it. I'm leaving out for Big Bend next month if anyone wants to come along. No trucks, no trailers, just a whole lot of open ground from here to there. Getting there will suck, but a cold beer and warm steak at the Starlight Theatre will make it all better.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #26393
A.Breton
Criminal

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
........Only thing is, it's hard to find riders that like to dualsport with me. ............
I call Bull Shit on this statement. Retarded single track my bars don't fit through, maybe.
A.Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #26394
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Spandex is great for people that actually have BALLS. It helps keep them from getting crushed between you and the seat. But, they should ALWAYS be covered up by some baggy shorts. Unless, perhaps, your drinking Southern Comfort like the guy in the commercial. "Whatevers Confortable."
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #26395
mikem9
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
Fairly new here, but yeah, more mtb when I was skinnier.

Really starting to get back into the motorcycles, and looking forward to some good DS days. Would love to join some of the no0B rides...

B
Cool pic!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #26396
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates View Post
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #26397
mikem9
Wanderer

I've checked on this thread and participated intermittently for many years. I either know, have ridden or have met many of you on here. We have a great community of dirt, dual-sport and adventure riders in our region. A lot fun and incredibly helpful to each other.

I see the thread occasionally go on tangents into various subjects - (Ex. hunting, fishing, travel, gun, boating, food etc) and have often enjoyed reading about DOG's various interests related to or outside of motorcycling. Bicycling seems to be an interest that many on here share. There seems to be a lot of crossover among enthusiasts in the two areas. But for a few, the discussion of bicycling seems to cause frustration. Sorry if I helped to drive the discussion further into this tangent.

It was interesting to me to hear some of the backgrounds with cycling that some of you DOGs have. For most of us, it's in a lower league of fun vs. motorcycling, but an important tool for life and fitness none the less. Most of the time I'd rather be on my motorcycle, but some days I prefer hearing the forest sounds as I pedal through it. I would like to ride motorcycles for a long time, Lord willing and if the creek don't rise. Some of the older motorcyclists I know, ride the bicycle to hopefully extend that time. Just for that reason right there, I think it's very relevant to this place.

I typically ride an '06 KTM Exc400 in the forest, and an Silver '03 Suzuki Bandit 1200s on the street (sometimes in the forest - it doubles as my adventure bike). Say hello if you see me or flag me down if you need some help.

Good riding all!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #26398
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Eek

[QUOTE=GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB;20455643] I could shake this race addiction, and just go do some dualsporting. Only thing is, it's hard to find riders that like to dualsport with me. [QUOTE]

No one can keep up with your crazy ass....thats why

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip

Willy-B screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 07:16 PM
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #26399
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Hate that I got this all started, but I really enjoyed the Vid myself. Just for the record, I'm a wantab for a reason. Don't think I don't wish sometimes I could shake this race addiction, and just go do some dualsporting. Only thing is, it's hard to find riders that like to dualsport with me.

Now a hug is not what Coates needs. A shot of pussy, is more like it!

Maybe we can all get out and ride some this week end.

I'm not mad at Tuna for calling me short either.
Darn Mike. I will ride with you. When do you want to go??

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #26400
SloDon
Hey...where am I?

Oddometer: 622
I like poems by the "Sarge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!