ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #31
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
It was a pretty cool place. I liked that I never really came across any big rocks in the middle of the trails, like I do in the Chattahoochee Forest. You can get some pretty good speeds....just watch out for gravel patches. If GaM says that river can be crossed, than I believe it. Good to know!

Noooooo dude! I thought you meant you couldn't get down the road because of water (which I reallly didn't understand). I don't know if you can get a bike across the river down there or not.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #32
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
Noooooo dude! I thought you meant you couldn't get down the road because of water (which I reallly didn't understand). I don't know if you can get a bike across the river down there or not.
Where were you guys thinking of crossing the river? Sandy Ford or somewhere else? I don't know of too many places on the Chatooga where I would think you could cross unless the water is really low like during the summer months. It be fun trying until you swamped your bike!

BTW, seeing how the Chatooga is "Wild & Scenic" I would think it's not really "legal" to cross it with a motor vehicle.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #33
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,334
flux is back!

Dude I can't wait to make it up there for one of your rides.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #34
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Where were you guys thinking of crossing the river? Sandy Ford or somewhere else? I don't know of too many places on the Chatooga where I would think you could cross unless the water is really low like during the summer months. It be fun trying until you swamped your bike!

BTW, seeing how the Chatooga is "Wild & Scenic" I would think it's not really "legal" to cross it with a motor vehicle.
That's right, they would probably have your head for that, and for riding anything other than a FS road in the Wild and Scenic River corridor.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #35
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
crossing the river

The road stops on one side of the river and starts again on the other so I reckon your safe to ride across legally if the water is low enough.
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #36
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
I was wrong

Just spoke to a local who lives up there. It is illegal to get within 1/4 of a mile of the river with a motorized vehicle. They tolerate it on one road because the locals use it for river access.
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #37
KevinD
Haulin the mail

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
I never did find that trail, no. I think I know the one you are talking about. One day you will have to show me. Sounds like my cup of tea.
The trail Dan is talking about is exactly like the trail leading down from the bald you took us to on FBA2...Flux's big Adventure 2.

It's basically a tunnel of Rhododendron...
KevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #38
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags
Just spoke to a local who lives up there. It is illegal to get within 1/4 of a mile of the river with a motorized vehicle. They tolerate it on one road because the locals use it for river access.

Roger that. That's what pissed off the locals so much after the movie "Deliverance". All the tourists and rafters came in and all of a sudden, folks who had accessed the river for years were cut off.

When I was a kid we would drive our jeeps/trucks right down to the waters edge at Woodall Shoals and camp. Good ole days.....

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #39
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Let's get it on!!

Next weekend Warwoman?

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
Hey Flux glad your back. Thats exactly what I was thinking GaM. I have been to the chatooga many times during the summer and waded across but never thought of crossing it anywhere I've been too. Talk about going for a swim with you bike. It would have to be the only choice. I sure would like to be there if somebody wants to give it a try though.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #41
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,596
Okay, so no crossing with the bikes then. Glad we got that cleared up. Still a cool place to ride.

Next weekend I am riding. May do an overnighter, is what Dags is thinking.

Lucky- No, it is NOT Clayton County. The town's name is Clayton. I think it may be Rabun County, but someone else will know for sure. I got confused about it the first time I heard it, too. Happy Birthday too dude.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #42
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, so no crossing with the bikes then. Glad we got that cleared up. Still a cool place to ride.

Next weekend I am riding. May do an overnighter, is what Dags is thinking.

Lucky- No, it is NOT Clayton County. The town's name is Clayton. I think it may be Rabun County, but someone else will know for sure. I got confused about it the first time I heard it, too. Happy Birthday too dude.
Rabun!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:06 PM   #43
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Rabun!
There you have it. Mike, how you been doing man?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #44
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There you have it. Mike, how you been doing man?
Great. I have a cracked sub frame that I have to get welded though. I wish I could get me a new 525. I think the Big silver pig needs to be laid to rest or have some old slow geaser riding it.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #45
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Great. I have a cracked sub frame that I have to get welded though. I wish I could get me a new 525. I think the Big silver pig needs to be laid to rest or have some old slow geaser riding it.
How did you manage that? My buddy still has that 450 sitting in his garage. He has moved to Portland. I'd imagine he needs to get rid of it. I have no idea.