User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
MEFO Explorer 1000 mi early report...

I know it's not a lot of miles at this point, but I have had my XR650L outfitter with MEFO Explorer 99s for about 1000 miles. Mostly do work commutes on highway and city as well as some short dual sport jaunts in the evenings and weekends. On the road she sticks very well and I am not easy on her at all. Love hitting the twisties enroute to the farm country where I get off road. They are certainly a notch above the stock Trail Wings on or off road IMHO. While the mileage is only 1000 miles at this point, they show very little sign of wearing and I blew out my Trailwings in about 2000 miles.

She has not been in DEEP mud but seems to shed the thick stuff pretty well as long as you keep the rpms up.

She climbs over logs like a goat but I don't have much time in serious rocks yet.

In grass she digs hard and you can go up pretty steep hills. Also very stable at speed both on and off road. You can fly on dirt roads and I have had no head shake or rear end shimmy. They feel very solid and planted.

I know it is still early and I still have a lot of testing to do, but for a 50:50 tire, I am REALLY happy with the MEFOs. I wanted a tire that would grip on and off road and still have some longevity. Seems to be working well at this point and I wanted to thank the guys here who pointed me to this tire. I got them at KLR650.com Speaking of spending money, thanks to this board I also picked up an Olympia AST jacket and a pair of Rev'It Inferno gloves (at Bob's BMW). What an OUTSTANDING jacket. I ride just about everyday and this time of year I am usually wiping frost off my seat in the mornings. This jacket really blocks the wind and is warm. Love the tons of pockets and vents.

The Rev'It Inferno gloves are extremely comfortable and I mainly wanted a pair of medium weight gauntlet gloves for summer to say 40F. They fill that bill well but will also note they run small on the sizes. Normally wear an XL glove and had to go to a 2XL which fits perfectly. The quality seems to be very great and time will tell how they hold up. They were as comfortable as the Held gloves I tried at a much lower price. They even have a built in reflective strip as shown in the pic. I am pretty much a noobie on this board, but have been riding bikes for the past 30 or so years. Got away from my dirt bikes some years ago and missed it terribly. I still ride my 1984 VF1100Sabre but find the XR650L gets out even more. What a FUN bike to ride. It's good to be back on dirt and what an incredible board this is.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Dags
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
Great info

Great post. I've been looking at the these tires as well. Can you post an update again when you get more miles of the tires.
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
Thumb

Good info, I think you just convinced me.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 915
I really like mine as well, the only bad thing Id say is the front tends to wash a it in the mud.

Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
+1 on the Mefos
Got a set on my dirt oriented transalp and have about 1500 miles on them with about 1/2 offroad. Really like them. Looks like I could get 5000 out of them. They seem to take a beating pretty well from sharp rocks and feel awesome on the twisties going 70
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Cactusman
Adventuring Infidel

Oddometer: 113
Mefo's

+ 2 on the Mefo's. Got mine on my DR650 and love them over the stock Trail Wings. Took about 300+ miles to break them in and now they stick well on the road. Havent tried them in the mud but fire roads, they work great! I have about 1800 miles on mine and not much wear.
Cactusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
+3

I've got my second set sitting on the garage floor waiting to be installed. They're good on the highway, and good off, with thousands of miles of life in them.

Jimmy Lewis saw them on my F650GS(single) last Summer and announced that he had finally seen street tires he'd allow in one of his classes.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
650GSguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
+4

Did 6,500 km trip last summer two up and just broken in. Already have 9,000 km and expect minimum 14,000. 90% road. Previously had Tourances which were very good. These are significantly better off road. Normally I run pressures of 40 rear and 36 front with two up. Solo off road 22 rear and 20 front.

I have another set in the garage for latter this summer as delivery is spotty.
650GSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
SnoozeRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Any info on if mounting the front reverse direction wears better, or is that some dangerous myth?
SnoozeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Navy Chief
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I don't know if it wears better but in theory you will get better traction from it reversed. If the V's are facing forward they can attain better traction in the dirt when braking.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
JeffD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozeRat
Any info on if mounting the front reverse direction wears better, or is that some dangerous myth?
I emailed the distributor "twisted throttle" and they said to run them in the direction of the rotation arrow. I emailed "trail tricks" after I ordered them and never heard back.
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,502
I maybe the only person that has had problems with this tire. I liked the tire at first and it worked decent both on and off road, but the tire came apart fromt he inside after about 1,500 miles. The tire formed cracks that pinched at the tube until it wore a hole in it. I had a flat every 50 miles. After the third flat I was determined to find out why. When I pressed the tire down and rolled it you could see the crackes in it. I bought a new tire in Moab and decided to check the front and it had just strated the process of abraiding the tube.

So I am still looking for the Long distance ADV touring tire. I'm back to the gripster for road and T63 for the trails.
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoozeRat
Myth busted. I reversed mine after it started to scallop and had no problems with it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
SnoozeRat
Gnarly Adventurer

cool... just mounted today. will try and remember to report back after 1000 miles.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
SnoozeRat
Gnarly Adventurer

1000 miles, pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These now have about 1400 miles on them. Don't show too much wear and seem to be holding up well. Took them on recent trip via Taylor Hwy in Alaska, which included good amount of dirt/gravel road. Actually loved how they handled in gravel, but I don't have much to compare them to so not sure if they are any better than any other on/off road tires. On the pavement they took a little getting used to at first, felt squirrely, but like I said I don't have much knobby experience to compare & after recent multi-day trip I forgot I even had knobbies on. Oh yeah, couple long rain days and they did fine on wet pavement but didn't like the wet road-striping (what does?) Hope this helps!