User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Chaosteam OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Warning for overlanders wanting to ship their bikes from Dili to Darwin

I think I should make this public as a warning for everyone contemplating to ship their motorbikes from Dili (Timor Leste) to Darwin Australia.
There are many reasons why you should reconsider and ship your bikes from a different port or maybe just fly it and be done....

1. Timor Leste is a 3rd world country in a lot of turmoil with Western Country prices so if you get stuck here you pay a minimum of 12 USD for a dorm bed in the one and only hostel - Hotelbeds range from 40$ to no limit - but beware - you might be stuck here for quite a while as there is only one shipping company - ANL (to this I have to add a bit more later) and you might have to wait either for a boat to arrive which then will probably first sail to Singapore before heading to Darwin and your bike will be on it's way for at least 14 days. If you think about using this time to have a look around Timor then you should know that there is little to no public bus service which will take you to destinations with little or no infra structure

2. There is only one airline flying from Dili to Darwin so the market is pretty stitched up - if you can book your flight long enough upfront you might get one for as little as 239 USD (a 1,25 hour flight) but there are only a limited amount of "cheap" seats on the plane which get snatched up by travel agents who then charge 440 $ or more.

3. ANL has recently bought out TOLL shipping - the staff on the Timorese side are inefficiently helpful. They are advised to not sell shared containerloads so if you are on one motorbike you have to pay for a full container ... 1200 USD approx. Should you be lucky enough to share with another biker then you may have half of the cost on the Timorese side but once your bike arrives in Darwin ANL conveniently changes the rules and bills you for each motorbike - approximate cost to unload in Darwin: 500 AUD per bike.
They ship around on unreliable boats which do break down (like in our case) and then you sit in Darwin (the most expensive place in all Australia) and wait .... and wait... and wait mostly without information from ANL - unless you badger enough. They are not in Darwin but have their seat in Melbourne so once you ring them you get passed around for quite a while - you get an adress for collecting your bike which you can only find if you have ESP and your cristal ball tells you that the agency of pj something is responsible for handling your bike. These people however seem to be the only one's who actually know what they are doing and are even friendly.

So if you want your bikes shiping to OZ then you are probably better off doing it either from Bali (flights from Denpasar to Darwin : 70 AUD) or Singapore ( I'd try to avoid ANL though).

Safe travels

K+K Chaosteam www.holfordsaufweltreise.jimdo.com
Chaosteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
gringito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Interesting post, My initial plan was to ship my moped from Darwin to Dili,,, but it seems a bit ccrraazzyy since perkins shipping has been bought by ANL... At the end do you have any informations about other possible routes ?
gringito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 18,129
Shouldn't this be in Regionals - Australia?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote