Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #151
mtguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
That rocks. What'd he teach?

Jeez, I'd love to move back. We lived on Rostrata, over in Green Valley, right at the base of Mountain View. When we first moved there, we lived on Cresta, over in RB.

My wife and I visited there a couple years ago and I was really surprised at how much it was developed. All that land on the other side of Espola used to be empty land. There were some big fires across the road from the high school and I remember sitting in the stands with the band (yeah, band freak here) watching the fire engines up on the hill while the game was going on.
The area has changed a lot since i grew up there...i was born in escondido, used to ride dirt bikes in places that are now entire communities in north county. My old man might have started working at Meadowbrook after you moved on to high school, his name is Mr. Deavers (John)...he was Mr. Campbell's understudy when he first started teaching. Taught there for 10 or so years and the was the activities director at PHS for a dozen or so years, now he's at RBVHS in vista, getting ready to retire. I try to make it down there occasionally, like to ride near the coast, dodge traffic on the freeways, and out to borrego (i always get a kick out of the Montezuma grade down into Borrego Springs...there's always some dude on a crotch-rocket all piled up.) We used to ride in Ocotillo a lot, where i learned to ride bikes, Dad used to race in Baja (1000, 500) so we were heavily influenced by bikes at a young age.
Anyway, back to the topic of skating...too old for that shit now, my thrashed ankles probably would even stand up to a light get-off from a board. When i worked at taco hell, i always worked the closing shift on weekends and would see a lot of skaters hanging out around there, good that they have a place to go now. They just built a new skate park here in Missoula this past summer, had a big grand opening with Tony Hawk, Bam Margera and some others...pretty nice place for kids to go (ice skates would probably be more appropriate this time of year than skateboards). It's nice to see communities doing something to provide kids with opportunities to enjoy themselves in a legal and responsible manner.
mtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #152
sAMOa
Rip Me a Good One

Oddometer: 17
blacksan's next board?

y0 blacksan, my board is damn near this spec except for the graphics.

interested?

sAMOa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:09 AM   #153
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Longboard baby
Fuck YEAH, man. 36 and it's longboard for me as well. I travelled to Europe on business around '98 or so, used it to stack my big-ass suitcase on (stood it on it's side), then stood on the back of the board with one foot and pushed my way through the airports. European cops are surprisingly tolerant of this sort of activity

I rode it in Paris on Bastille Day and what a fucking blast that was. Those sidewalks are puuuuurfect for skating, got all sorts of lost trying to get to the Eiffel Tower from Montrouge. It was a great day I rode the shit out of it in the UK as well. I skated Okinawa and the Philippines while in the service - cheaper than cabs and see more sights. Broke my wrist in the PI once after a long night of barhopping in Olongopo:

Cast reads "Courtesy of: Powell Peralta quality skateboards and San Miguel beer"

You can see my current deck there on top of the grey storage unit - it's an Element, Indy trux :

Some of my old decks are on the wall - memories of fonder, younger and more limber days

USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:24 AM   #154
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCG_Spyder
Fuck YEAH, man. 36 and it's longboard for me as well. I travelled to Europe on business around '98 or so, used it to stack my big-ass suitcase on (stood it on it's side), then stood on the back of the board with one foot and pushed my way through the airports. European cops are surprisingly tolerant of this sort of activity

I rode it in Paris on Bastille Day and what a fucking blast that was. Those sidewalks are puuuuurfect for skating, got all sorts of lost trying to get to the Eiffel Tower from Montrouge. It was a great day I rode the shit out of it in the UK as well. I skated Okinawa and the Philippines while in the service - cheaper than cabs and see more sights. Broke my wrist in the PI once after a long night of barhopping in Olongopo:

Cast reads "Courtesy of: Powell Peralta quality skateboards and San Miguel beer"

You can see my current deck there on top of the grey storage unit - it's an Element, Indy trux :

Some of my old decks are on the wall - memories of fonder, younger and more limber days

That skating through Paris on Bastille day sounds like one to remember

I'm surprised they didn't make you paint the cast green
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 AM   #155
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sAMOa
y0 blacksan, my board is damn near this spec except for the graphics.

interested?

You know it! Ping me with the details please.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 AM   #156
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Well, it's been a couple weeks since I got my board. It's been really cold and icy here in IA, so I've been stuck practicing in my basement and garage. The occasional dog-walk at night...in the dark...so none of the neighborhood sk8er kids could see me...has also been a lot of fun. There isn't much like gliding down a hill, carving back and forth and getting used to the balance. A little scary, a little uncomfortable, but absolutely exhilarating!

Working on figuring out ollies for 45 minutes will work up a great sweat! I've actually managed to land a couple, and haven't taken too big of a spill yet. It feels good to see improvement from time to time. The biggest thing I've had to watch out for, safety wise, is ankles (it's been mentioned a few times here, I think). Make sure you have a good pair of skate shoes that provide a wide footprint. This will definitely help prevent rolling/spraining.

It was such a mental game for me when I first popped my board off the hard garage floor. I felt for sure that I was going to go horizontal, and smash into a million pieces. That didn't happen, thank god. Anyway, it's nice to see and receive so much encouragement. I'm having a great time with it!

Jason
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #157
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_shark
Well, it's been a couple weeks since I got my board. It's been really cold and icy here in IA, so I've been stuck practicing in my basement and garage. The occasional dog-walk at night...in the dark...so none of the neighborhood sk8er kids could see me...has also been a lot of fun. There isn't much like gliding down a hill, carving back and forth and getting used to the balance. A little scary, a little uncomfortable, but absolutely exhilarating!

Working on figuring out ollies for 45 minutes will work up a great sweat! I've actually managed to land a couple, and haven't taken too big of a spill yet. It feels good to see improvement from time to time. The biggest thing I've had to watch out for, safety wise, is ankles (it's been mentioned a few times here, I think). Make sure you have a good set of skate shoes that provide a wide footprint. This will definitely help prevent rolling/spraining.

It was such a mental game for me when I first popped my board off the hard garage floor. I felt for sure that I was going to go horizontal, and smash into a million pieces. That didn't happen, thank god. Anyway, it's nice to see and receive so much encouragement. I'm having a great time with it!

Jason
Hooked.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #158
blacksan
Rev Limiter

I have a long-board inbound that has a special backround. I am more giddy then a kid after a bowl of suggar pops waiting for it. If the cat that gave me his support, time and resources to get me this board is cool with it I will post pics along with his info.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #159
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,460
Grew up in a little beach town in California called Encinitas,back in the 60's / 70's. Tried to lean on a skate board call "Bun Buster" steel wheels and about 10" long.

Fuck that

Joc
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #160
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier
Grew up in a little beach town in California called Encinitas,back in the 60's / 70's. Tried to lean on a skate board call "Bun Buster" steel wheels and about 10" long.

Fuck that

Joc
I started on steel wheels and still have scars after all these years!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #161
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier

Fuck that

Joc
mine was a red piece of plywood called a 'SUPER SURFER' with said steel skate wheels.

I later had a Makaha wood board too, with the early 'clay' wheels made from (I think?) coconut fiber or something... I just didn't get along with boarding, so I quit early, I much preferred two wheels.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #162
dukebackpack
Retired Bowman

Oddometer: 136
Traded my Jeep for my brothers Rob Roskopf with 8 inch Independents after he broke his wrist. Took it overseas with me in the Army in 86. Retired it two years ago and replaced it with a "Thirty Fucking Years" Santa Cruz reissue Jason Jesse with 10 Independents. Love those boards. Great way to stay in shape and keep from getting mentally old...........

One of these will keep you from hitting those pesky rocks and cracks......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY8v3yq7j6g
Old 01-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #163
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
I started again about the time this thread started,but I have only been a few times.I started to get a scooter to ride with my daughter.
I am glad I got out my old skatr board instead.It is the mid 80s' model.
We mostly go at night on a lighted parking lot/basketball court.
There is a super smooth court,but it is not lighted.
Our best day was riding all the around the lake and back,stopping to watch ducks and play in two parks.
She is intrested in practicing on mine,but I can see she is not ready for me to let go yet.
She has only been on the scooter since christmas and got good fast.
I think I will let her stick with that for a while.But my eyes are open to get her first board.I wish there was a mini Bones with the roses.

so,what are some good road wheels.
And will I enjoy a long board that much more.I am not riding ramps,or doing ollies,or even curbs.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #164
dizave
Team Blitzed

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_shark

Working on figuring out ollies for 45 minutes will work up a great sweat! I've actually managed to land a couple, and haven't taken too big of a spill yet. It feels good to see improvement from time to time. The biggest thing I've had to watch out for, safety wise, is ankles (it's been mentioned a few times here, I think). Make sure you have a good pair of skate shoes that provide a wide footprint. This will definitely help prevent rolling/spraining.

Jason
We're still waiting for Gina's pics
dizave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #165
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,923
Dang, alot of you sound like me. I was about 6 when one of the other kids got a skateboard, I taught myself to ride and did ride one till I was 18, For a time when I was 18, no car, it was my primary transportation to and from work 3 miles across town.
Like most, 38 and to fat now,
Good luck on learning.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: