Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #166
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizave
We're still waiting for Gina's pics
Ha! Her lot is full of ice and snow at the moment. I'm sure she wouldn't mind letting me tool around in the show-room. ...I could practice my rail-slides on the Adventurer in the corner
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #167
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_shark
Ha! Her lot is full of ice and snow at the moment. I'm sure she wouldn't mind letting me tool around in the show-room. ...I could practice my rail-slides on the Adventurer in the corner
We grew up roller skating,skateboarding,flying turtling(if you don't know what a flying turtle is,check it out for the kids)in my fathers drug store.
Terrazzo floor and about six isles to cruise on.

The parking lot had a pretty good rake to it,right down to a couple of busy streets.
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #168
frewhl
daily rider

[QUOTE=frewhl]flying turtling(if you don't know what a flying turtle is,check it out for the kids)in my fathers drug store.
Terrazzo floor and about six isles to cruise on.QUOTE]

Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
Old 02-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #169
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Hell Ya!!!

The wait has been tense to say the least, but I am the proud owner of a awesome longboard. My skating career started back about 1979 with steel wheels and a bunch of road rash. I was just bumping along in JM when I found this thread and it awoke a passion in me that I have not had for a long time.

So, my first stop was to ask a few questions and I wanted solid input. It was obvious that sAMOa (Chris Yandall) had his sheet all in one sock hence I pinged him several times basically bugging the shit out of him. Chris was extremely cool with me and gave me some good advice on skating and a few other shared life experiences. When the whirlwind started to take hold there was talk of a prototype board being built just for me.

Chris really gave me an opportunity I would not have had otherwise! Now blacksan.5 and I can enjoy yet another awesome outdoor activity together. When the dam ice melts I am going to Skog my ass off just trying to keep up with .5!

Hey Chris, I really appreciate you help bro, and look forward to meeting up some day.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #170
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
I think skaters and motorcycle people are cut from the same cloth.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #171
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I think skaters and motorcycle people are cut from the same cloth.
No Shit! The funny thing is as I get older I am more devilsh then ever?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #172
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
I'm trying to talk Chris (sAMOa) into showing up for Warped Trip III ... I think he's up for it, he made it to WARP-II and the original Warped Trip.

come on out! its only 2-3 days ride from .VA :)
Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #173
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I'm trying to talk Chris (sAMOa) into showing up for Warped Trip III ... I think he's up for it, he made it to WARP-II and the original Warped Trip.

come on out! its only 2-3 days ride from .VA :)
Bro, it would be a pleasure! I already told Chris that if he ever makes it back east I will burn some cow and pour some Bourbon for him at my casa.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #174
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,012
Quote:
I'm 31. I'm married. I'm a programmer. I'm 20 lbs. overweight. I ordered a complete board last night on the web. I've never really skated before, but dammit, I'm going to give it a shot. As ridiculous as it sounds, I've been searching around for stuff on the web along the lines of: "too old" "skateboard" "new"... you get the idea. Being confined to a cubicle day in and day out is driving me to find new ways to taste freedom. I'm starting to get this urge to (re)discover all those things I never did when I was younger.

I'm excited to push my boundaries, regain some balance, and quite possibly break my arm (never done that before, either!). 30 is the new 20, right? Wish me luck...
Jason
That is so cool ... good for you man!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 PM   #175
cgr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Get Loaded!

I bought one of these last fall...

http://www.loadedboards.com/newsite_v1/vanguard.html
cgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #176
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Chris specked me out a board from his prototype development that should be available soon. I will get picss up ASAP as my camera craped out. If I was starting from scratch I would ping him as his advice has been priceless. When you consider the pro input that goes along with it, how can you go wrong?

blacksan screwed with this post 02-17-2007 at 03:38 AM
Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #177
land_shark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Congrats on getting the new board, blacksan! Keep us posted on how it's going. Got any pics of the new gear?

Bloody fffreezing lately in IA...more snow today to boot. I've about had my fill of this winter crap.
land_shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #178
frewhl
daily rider

New road in front of the house,perfect for my daughter's scooter.
I have not put my skate board on it yet,I think I am saving it for roller blades.
I like skateboarding at the jr. high basketball court too much.

The asphalt road is really short,only about six houses on it.
No camber in the turn either(good thing,or I would have to warm up the K12RS)

Old 02-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #179
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Quote:
Congrats on getting the new board, blacksan! Keep us posted on how it's going. Got any pics of the new gear?

Bloody fffreezing lately in IA...more snow today to boot. I've about had my fill of this winter crap.
I will get a few pics up when I am off this week. It has been real cold here too, but the weather is supposed to break by the end of the coming week.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #180
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Never too old!

Mitch Boehm from Motorcyclist is an avid skater and has written about it in several issues.

From the pre-urethane wheel days through the early, '80's, skating defined my life. I grew up in New York but travelled to skateparks in Florida and California during their heyday.

Peak experience was riding the Dogbowl replica at Dogtown Skatepark in Marina Del Rey while Stacey Peralta was there in 1979.

BTW, Lords of Dogtown sucked, but the original documentary rocks.

I still have some my old-school equipment: Tracker Six Tracks, Road Rider 6's, and some Indy 151 trucks, and I used to have all the Bennett and ACS trucks, Powell Peralta and Sims wheels, and some VINTAGE Dogtown and Alva decks. man, I wish I still had them!

I'll be 46 next month and can still pull frontside air on the vert! I stunned my 12 year old nephew a few years ago by taking him to an indoor (wood ramps) park in Tampa. We watched for a few minutes and a 16 year old kid offered me his board, thinking I couldn't ride.

I don't know whetehr it was fear or respect, but I cleared the ramp as all the kids watched me fakie to the top, then pull some frontside kickturns on the vert! I was TRIPLE the age of some of those kids! Scary!

'Course, I could barely fucking walk the next day!!

I also discovered mountain unicycling a couple of years ago, and now I own four uni's.. It's an excellent workout!

Keeps 'ya young, for sure!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: