User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #61
loose
ataractic

Oddometer: 3,143

I used to skate a lot, but stopped kickin' the board around so much after the army and standing on concrete 12 hours a day for 2 years ruined my feet. I still get around occasionally, but my equipment needs to be refreshed. I'll try to dig up some old pictures.

Skogging looks like fun and I bet Rossi would have a blast running around with me while I do it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #62
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan
Oh geeez, now I want a long board too. It's been so long since I surfed asphlat My last board had steel wheels. So, I just want to play and not have dillusions of grandger, What should I be looking for?
Aesthetics. Seriously...some of these boards are art.

I started (or re-started...I"m a "Re-entry" longboarder) with a Sector 9 48" Pintail but any decent board with real trucks and wheels is what you're after, and weight, surface where you'll be cruising, style, etc. all factors in. I like Abec flywheels but YMMV.

As part of the old fart experience, go to a skate shop that sells long boards and get their opinions (I've always been treated well even though I'm old enough to be their...um...mom...if not grandmom)--that's always fun. Get their input.

I was lucky enough to live across the street from a HUGE school parking lot on a hill that wrapped around the school...made for a relaxed 10 minute ride if you did it right, a big lazy carving session with enough room to carry momentum uphill. I've got one board set up for "cruising", one set up for carving.

I used to hang out here:
http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/index.php

I found that even a short 10 minute run around the neighborhood was great for reducing stress after work. Hard to stay tense when you're

Wear all the safety gear. Unlike the kids, we gotta show up at work the next day. I look like I'm working for the bomb squad when I skate.
Photog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #63
dizave
Team Blitzed

Oddometer: 5,743
So where are you guys buying shit online?

dizave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:48 AM   #64
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I've bought two boards (and two more decks) from the local skate shop, mostly to support the local scene. One board from the factory (Curve) via their ebay site. The Silverfish forum is a good place to get input on vendors.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #65
dizave
Team Blitzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I've bought two boards (and two more decks) from the local skate shop, mostly to support the local scene. One board from the factory (Curve) via their ebay site. The Silverfish forum is a good place to get input on vendors.
I don't know where anything is locally. Hey, do you know about the park on MLK in chapel hill?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #66
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizave
I don't know where anything is locally. Hey, do you know about the park on MLK in chapel hill?
No, been wanting to check in on the local spots. Ain't no way my fat ass is gonna ride a park but I'd love to watch the kids do their thing. You been there?

(That's what I like about longboarding...a no-talent old fart like myself can do it and look reasonably good.)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #67
sAMOa
Rip Me a Good One

Oddometer: 17
Silverfishskateboarding Website Rocks / Skogging

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.co...g-1011-16.html

If anyone is truly mastering this technique, drop me a line. The neat thing about skogging is it is waking up the sidewalk surfing craze one skogger at a time! Skogging is like a gateway drug to other avenues of the sport as well as a killer way to stay in shape.

It is such a unique way to skate that once you have it down, you become eye candy to those crusing the boardwalks for exercise.

Have a look at some of the videos and perhaps add a comment or two on that board.

Cheers
Chris Yandall
sAMOa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #68
sAMOa
Rip Me a Good One

Speaking of Unicycles - Vintage Uni Air!

Good old Poway Uni Air!

cYa
Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #69
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

If my hips weren't so screwed up I'd try it.

I have a REALLY hard time changing stance, though.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #70
dizave
Team Blitzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
No, been wanting to check in on the local spots. Ain't no way my fat ass is gonna ride a park but I'd love to watch the kids do their thing. You been there?

(That's what I like about longboarding...a no-talent old fart like myself can do it and look reasonably good.)
It's here (you probably already knew that).

I kept meaning to put that deck from above together and go but then I kept not doing it Now that I know DLF lives near the park here maybe I can get her to go be old with me some time (I assume she meant this one)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #71
sAMOa
Rip Me a Good One

Thumbs down Ken Soup?

[quote=Perry]So have you seen Ken's motivational seminar video yet?

so who is ken and why is his motivational video worth a damn?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #72
blacksan
Rev Limiter

Oddometer: 4,251
Greetings sAMOa,

I posted earlier looking for some advice on my first longboard. My stats are approximately 180 (max) and I want to cruise. What should I be looking at?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #73
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
It's here (you probably already knew that).

I kept meaning to put that deck from above together and go but then I kept not doing it Now that I know DLF lives near the park here maybe I can get her to go be old with me some time (I assume she meant this one)

You're still a youngster. You'll do fine. I never did much park skating as a kid, but I remember the first park opening in Fayetteville. My parents were never really happy me with skating (yeah, I was the kid wearing the red hockey helmet) and never let me go, so all my stuff ended up riding hills, maybe doing a few minor tricks. Used to keep the board bungeed to my bicycle as I scouted out runs after school. Great memories and no major biffs.

I was surprised at how quickly it came back to me almost 30 years later. The skills and balance were there...the only problem I had was braking. Apparently my hop-off-and-run abilities were greatly diminished by time.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #74
DelicateLittleFlower
WooooHooooo!!!!!

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Dizave,

There is a skatepark on Lomas just west of Eubank (Los Altos). There is a also a skate shop fartehr north on Eubank on the west side of the street. Can't remember the name.....
DelicateLittleFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #75
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
So where are you guys buying shit online?

THINK GLOBAL
BUY LOCAL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: